Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Dressy" shorts - what's the verdict?

• 18-11-2007 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

On a whim there I bought a pair of black, dressy shorts in Savida in Dunnes. They are quite short but not very tight, I intend to wear them with black, opaque tights and round-toe heels with little straps. I'm usually quite conservative (jeans, jeans and more jeans) and with the work Christmas party coming up I want to try something a bit different.

So what is the verdict on these shorts - do they work? What should I wear on top? Any advice much appreciated as believe it or not this would be a "brave" move for me and I don't want to get it wrong!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I think you need to be slim to pull off this look.
    I was thinking about them, but my thighs aren't my best bit so I left it.
    Anyway, if they suit you, yes, black tights and heels would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭confuddled

Well I am quite tall and slim so I think my legs would probably be my best assets! definitely don't have much of a chest to show off:p

Any tips for tops? I'm thinking more covered up rather than anything strappy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

383-706-G43w.jpg

oq123v47m?fmt=jpeg&qlt=90&size=245,410&color=255,255,255

Two pics I found...

I think a tunic or loose fitted top would be nice as the legs are going to be a big feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Pythia wrote: »
    I think a tunic or loose fitted top would be nice as the legs are going to be a big feature.
    My sentiments exactly!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

some girls look very hot wearing them

I don't dig the 'if it's in - wear it' for the sake of wearing it craic. You see a lot of farm animals wearing 'fashionable' clothing. :D

If it looks good on you go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I am very freaked out by girls in those shorts. It's just *shudder* I hate it....
    Especially when in clubs they were those kind of work style trouser shorts, you know the material/ style I'm talking about. Grotesque. Just wear a skirt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

If youve got the legs then absolutely, go for it. Don't go skimpy on top as yes, the legs are enough.i love shorts. I was reluctant at the start but love them now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭confuddled

Thanks pythia - I like the top look better I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭dubdcugirly

Defo the top look.
    Shorts are brilliant, I have a black pair of shorts that I can wear going out the a nice top or a plain black tank top and a shrug and it looks lovely. Then I also wear them with 80 denier tights and round toe shoes...go for it be brave...and I find them much better than skirts defo not as self concious in them!
    And I am certainly not blessed with long legs but shorts and heels are perfect way to fake them! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 lyndy

I think it would look cool with the lighter tights,maybe 40 denier.

2003414138850033256_th.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

It's winter, they look ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Dudett

Wear them with skinny jeans!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I think if you're thin, they're fine to wear with thick wooly tights, heels, a peasant shirt/ loose fitting top and a waistcoat

that's a pretty safe look though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Go for it - just wear them with a top that at least covers your shoulders. If they're plain black wear them with 40 denier tights as lyndy suggested because otherwise it will all just look too 'black', if you know what I mean. If they're kind of patterned (striped or whatever) I'd say go with darker tights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭highlight100

Go for it - just wear them with a top that at least covers your shoulders. If they're plain black wear them with 40 denier tights as lyndy suggested because otherwise it will all just look too 'black', if you know what I mean. If they're kind of patterned (striped or whatever) I'd say go with darker tights.

Brown Thomas have a lovely range at the moment of 40 denier tight by Falke.They are about half the price of Wolfords and look better also.They will be about 15 euro but will still be a better buy than Dunnes or Penneys and should last for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭blondeambition

What about the black shorts with knee highboots? Not furry ones but the stylish stiletto type?
    Thinking of getting into the shorts. Don't mind showing my legs but think boots may look ok. Any good? I'm slim so don't nind if the legs are covered up some bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭pheby

What about the black shorts with knee highboots? Not furry ones but the stylish stiletto type?
    Thinking of getting into the shorts. Don't mind showing my legs but think boots may look ok. Any good? I'm slim so don't nind if the legs are covered up some bit.

That sounds gorgeous!!!

I may steal that!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

lyndy wrote: »
    I think it would look cool with the lighter tights,maybe 40 denier.

2003414138850033256_th.jpg

Maybe its just me, but I hate the light tights look. I think the darker tights look so much better with shorts..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭pixietrixie

Maybe its just me, but I hate the light tights look. I think the darker tights look so much better with shorts..

Agreed, Darker tights do look better!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

Definitely darker tights and heels...boots borders on the "hooker" look :S As for a top I would suggest maybe a short sleeved silky blouse or something...pick a nice vibrant colour that will break up the black...if you're tall and slim then im sure you'll look gorgeous

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

dirtydress wrote: »
    Definitely darker tights and heels...boots borders on the "hooker" look

Have to agree. I saw a woman in her late thirties or early forties wearing boots with shorts last week. It was the most ridiculous (clothing) sight I've seen in ages! Talk about mutton dressed as lamb! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

I got a top in Vero Moda quite like the one in the top picture, i think it would work well with the shorts. Its in black with a kind of sparkle off it, perfect for the xmas party!

Advertisement