Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Modem and Xbox 360

Options
  • 18-11-2007 7:41pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I've been with the 3 broadband modem for a few months. I'm reasonably happy with it.
    Recently I bought an Xbox 360. I'm not planning on playing online Multiplayer games but I would like to know is it possible to get online with the 3 modem on Xbox live. Just for updates and things like that?
    If it is possible, how might one go about it?
    I'd appreciate any responses.
    Thanks.
    (ps: I didn't put this thread in the main "3 modem the problems" thread as I'm not complaing about it. Plus I usually get ignored when i ask a 3 related question there. People are too busy ranting negatively about it)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2910.html
    Testing one of these at the moment.. would probably do the job for you..

Or

else set up Internet Connection Sharing on your PC - Not sure if this will definitely work with the Xbox though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

There's the Wireless Network Adapter you can get for the 360. I bought one and hooked it up to my digiweb mobile broadband pretty easily - and I'm an illeterate with computers. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

I'm on the 3 HSDPA network and I'm using Internet Connection Sharing and the ethernet cable that came with my 360. XBOX live works OK and the few times so far that I've played multiplayer (Halo 3) there hasn't been a problem with lag. The only problem is the fact that 3's NAT adressing policy is strict which means the only other XBOX's that can join me (or I can join) are ones with an open adressing policy. This means it sometimes takes a while to get a game going. However don't expect 3 to do anything to address this issue as according to them "The 3 Data Card/Modem is a wireless connection which only helps in accessing the internet via a computer. Unfortunately, X-box is currently not compatible with the 3 Data Modem." Just how is the XBOX not a computer? It hurts to know I've been scammed by retards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2910.html
    Testing one of these at the moment.. would probably do the job for you..

How are you getting on with it? How much did it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭decrrrrrr

SubjectSean - what kind of download/upload speeds are you typically getting...?

• Advertisement

Decrrrrr, I'm averaging about 300kbps downstream and 70kbps upstream in the daytime dropping to around 100kbps/50kbps in the evening and about 800kbps/90kbps at night. It's a far cry short of the advertised 3.6Mbps the fastest speed I ever got was around 1.4Mbps but it was at about 3 in the morning. XBOX live is playing OK and VoIP is OK but I can't get multiplayer games to work on the PC as all the servers have really high latency in fact I used to get better ping times with a 56k modem. I don't really understand how it can be that VoIP works but Doom 3 etc don't work.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I'm on the 3 HSDPA network and I'm using Internet Connection Sharing and the ethernet cable that came with my 360. XBOX live works OK and the few times so far that I've played multiplayer (Halo 3) there hasn't been a problem with lag. The only problem is the fact that 3's NAT adressing policy is strict which means the only other XBOX's that can join me (or I can join) are ones with an open adressing policy. This means it sometimes takes a while to get a game going. However don't expect 3 to do anything to address this issue as according to them "The 3 Data Card/Modem is a wireless connection which only helps in accessing the internet via a computer. Unfortunately, X-box is currently not compatible with the 3 Data Modem." Just how is the XBOX not a computer? It hurts to know I've been scammed by retards :)

So How do I set up internet connection sharing?

Assuming your on windoze XP SP2 Go to control panel and open "network connections". Select your modem and then in the left hand pane of the control panel where it says "Network Tasks" you need to click on "Change the settings of this connection" Then click the advanced tab and under the "Internet Connection Sharing" section you should tick the "allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection" Should do the trick, any problems let me know and I'll try to help.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Assuming your on windoze XP SP2 Go to control panel and open "network connections". Select your modem and then in the left hand pane of the control panel where it says "Network Tasks" you need to click on "Change the settings of this connection" Then click the advanced tab and under the "Internet Connection Sharing" section you should tick the "allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection" Should do the trick, any problems let me know and I'll try to help.

Thanks Sean. I actually have Vista Home Premium but I'll give your method a try. Vista isn't that much different than XP to be honest, except it runs far worse. why do I have Vista running on a Dual Core processor with 2GB RAM be worse than My old XP with a ****e celeron 1.3ghz processor with 512 RAM?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭decrrrrrr

Getting an MTU error... how can I change or test what this is for me...?

• Advertisement

The XBOX is saying that the maximum transmission units setting on your router or gateway is set too small. If this is set less than 1370 then XBOX live doesn't work. If you're not using a router then it must be 3's but why I can connect and you can't I dunno.

Try http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/connectionmethods/troubleshootliveconnection-testmtu.htm for more info.

Advertisement