Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBMC and networked external HD/server

Options
  • 18-11-2007 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭

I have a softmodded Xbox with XBMC and I was planing to build a file server system to cater for not just this Xbox but for 2 of my friends one too (same apartment). Theres a basic server (Intel® Pentium ® Dual-Core E2160 at 1.8GHz, 1gb ram, 320gb HD) for sale on Dell for 368 euro which I was thinking of picking up for use as the file server (for that price its a deadly offer) but then I saw in PC World 500gb networked external HD's which can be hooked up to a network hub..

Has anyone here any experience with wither option? Is it possible to hook say 2 of the externals to a hub and then link into the Xbox? Or does XBMC need to be hooked up to a computer specifically? My plan is to buy the server and then buy a hub and one of those network external HD's. This along with the 320gb external HD would give me well over 1tb of space which should be enough for us :D. If the server isn't necessary (though it would be nice to use as a ripping machine for DVD's and the like as well), I can buy 2 of the drive and use that...

Sorry for all the details and info but any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

a network hdd should work fine. i have linked up my Linkstation 500GB NAS(network attached server) and two cheapo NAS,about 40 euro (nas-basic type) with my xbox. If i enable samba on my Linkstation then XBMC picks it up no problem. For the cheapo nas I had to use ip address, shared foldfer etc so that XBMC would connect. You do not need a pc on to connect to these NAS servers. The Linkstation Pro/Live are excellent NAS servers with Gigabit network connections and ability to run Debian with modified software. You can get them for about 200 euro delivered from here http://www2.hardwareversand.de/7V5N7QxOdTtXaf/2/articledetail.jsp?aid=9319&agid=695
    which is very good value. But the cheap NAS box's from ebay work fine although transfer rate is about 4MB/s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Gambra

Hmm, thats good to know.. Would the server be a good buy though? I could always use it as a slog machine esp if it was going to be shared over at least 2-3 users. Would prob be easier to set up too.. It just seems too good an offer to pass up which would fit this situation right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Gambra

I've been investigating the different option in Dell and here's two options. If anyone has any opinions on them let me know! Both prices include VAT and delivery.

Vostro 200 - 260euros

Components
    - Intel® Celeron® 420 Processor (1.6GHz,800MHz,512k cache)
    - Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic - English
    - Base Warranty - 1 Year Business Hardware Support
    - No 17" Monitor
    - 1024MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x512]
    - 160GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst™ cache
    - Integrated Intel® Graphic Media Accelerator X3100
    - 16x DVD +/- RW Drive
    - Dell™ Entry Quietkey USB Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    - Dell 2 Button USB Optical Mouse

PowerEdge SC440 - 384euros

Components
    - Intel® Pentium ® Dual-Core E2160 at 1.8GHz, 1MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB
    - 512MB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz Memory (1x512MB single ranked DIMMs)
    - C2 - Motherboard SATA cabled, 2 Hard Drives connected to onboard SATA controller, no RAID
    - 160GB, SATA, 3.5-inch, 7.200 rpm Hard Drive
    - 160GB, SATA, 3.5-inch, 7.200 rpm Hard Drive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

I have a P3 1Ghz at home with only 384mb ram running W2k. Connected to this are various makes and models of USB drives and it all works well. No problems streaming to either xbmc.

I setup a P3 733Mhz PC for a frienddoing simlar and that too works without problem.

If all you are going to do is stream media from it, than either of the two systems mentioned are perfectly fine for the purpose.

With a Server / PC, it is easier to add more storage to in the future.

Regards,

MJ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I too would be interested in the NAS option. Be careful buying these products that advertise crap NAS. Some dont have SAMBA or need the PC on to work. Like the WD Mybook NAS. What a crock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

The cheap Landrive clones on eBay work fine with XBMC. I have 2 and they work with SAMBA with no issues.
    Maplins were selling a nice Landrive clone a while ago, might still be around.

Also avoid the Netgear NAS SC101 NAS. Its doesn't support SAMBA, only works if you install custom software on every PC connected to it.

Advertisement