Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xtravision has different prices in different stores

Options
  • 18-11-2007 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking through the xbox console forum.
    Most of the time a new game is released then someone will give prices for different outlets, (HMV, Game, Symths, etc)

It's been noticed that for a game released this week that xtravision charge €70 in some stores and €60 in other stores.
    Posters believe this is not a pricing error but that xtravision charge different prices depending on competition in the area.

Is this legal?
    Dunnes or Tesco don't do this afaik.
    Otherwise they might charge more in rich areas than in poor areas if the market could bear it.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Of course it is legal.

Market forces drive prices up or down

My local Tesco is surrounded by a Lidl, an Aldi and a Dunnes and in response it does additional offers to the national tesco offers to retain customers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

What's more interesting is how their prices for rentals shifts significantly when there's a Chartbusters in the locality. It's usually €5.25. Call their branch in Sligo (0719174180) and see how much it is. Guess how far away the nearest Chartbusters is.

There's a Chartbusters in Dundalk. Call Xtra-vision in Ardee (0416856321) and then call them again in Dundalk (0429333867). Guess which one is cheaper?

Who says economists never research anything useful? ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm too lazy to ring them all, whats the price differences?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

The rental is different depending on the size of stores and the competition but I don't think retail is different. What might have happened is someone forgot to update the price changes in one store and therefore it was different in another store.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

Yeah I think tvnutz has it in one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

New movie rentals are €5.25. Aren't they?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Not in Dundalk and not in Sligo.

They're €5 in Dundalk and €4.50 (IIRC!) in Sligo. They primarily practice price-discrimination through offers though. This makes it less obvious; you might remember the price of renting one DVD but probably not the price of two.

Recently the store in Lucan was charging €8 for the rental of two DVDs but Leixlip (3 miles away, but with no Chartbusters) was charging €10.50. That's more than 30% more expensive in the place where there's no competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

ye the rental will be different. Some stores had €5 a rental instead of €5.25 and then something like 2 for €8 as mentioned. But it depends on if there is competition in the area. My store in celbridge has no competition so its €5.25 and up until a week ago it was 2 for €10.50 for 2 nights. Now its 2 for €9 for 2 nights. I have heard of the rental price differences alright,but never the retail,I reckon it was probably just mispricing in one store.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If you look at grocery stores, prices will differ depending on the area and the competition. Those stores with less competition will charge a cent or two more per item, which will all add up.

It's not unusual at all, and in fact, it's common. Supply and demand determine the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Happens all the time, especially with new release games. Usually the prices of all the game shops in an area will be price matched with the lowest so prices depend on level of competion etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Arent they all franchises so can charge what they want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Thundercracker

Paulw wrote: »
    not unusual at all, and in fact, it's common. Supply and demand determine the prices.

Exactly my feelings, I mean Dixons and Currys are owned by the same people, and they have differing prices in the same products.

Advertisement