Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To buy or not to buy... a GTX

Options
  • 18-11-2007 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

Well with the ridiculous lack of availability of any 8800GT's at the minute, I have a big dilemma...

I have enough to purchase an almost new GTX thats on adverts at the minute. But should I wait for more GT's? I really don't want to because I want to have the new build finished by the end of the week... But will I regret purchasing a GTX in three weeks when we're told that GT's will be back??

I really appreciate the advice around here as I've been able to make some good savings from advice that people around here with regards to my newest build.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

New revised GTS is out the 1st week of dec, put in a pre-order :D

More info here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

The 8800gtx is worth no more than €320 imo and I doubt you get one for that :D

Dabs have a zotac 8800gt in stock in 1 to 2 days

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4S7R&CategorySelectedId=11137&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11137,4294953254

Or you could be nifty and get a 3850HD for €155,perfect card for now imo,as Crysis has made the market unstable in terms of future game performance....

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4S7R&CategorySelectedId=11137&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11137,4294953254

It will play every game you can throw at it besides Crysis at high settings and you can sell it on for little loss,when the next gen ones come...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I'd have 2 gt's over 1 gtx any day, even uf you have to wait a little longer. hang in there!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I always thought the 8800gtx was better than the 8800gts,was i wrong in thinking that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I always thought the 8800gtx was better than the 8800gts,was i wrong in thinking that?

It is. What daveh is saying he'd rather SLI 8800GTS's than 1 8800GTX. But this would only work out better depending on the resolution you run games at.

It is VERY possible to find GTX's for €320 or less. I bought both of mine for less than or around that about 6 months ago from the states. You should be able to get them now for around >=€300 shipped. You might even be able to find an Ultra for €320.

Start looking around the US nvidia and tech forums for the for sale sections, then sign up and contact the sellers.

Note: do this at your own risk, i've been buying hardware this way for a long while and have never got stung, but it isn't without its risks, only buy from trusted sellers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 footfall

I got a Foxconn 8800GTX factory overclock edition about 3 months ago..
    630 core
    2000 mhz memory..

Cost = 600 euro ....:eek:
    The card is great but if i had of known the new 8800GT was as good as it is i would have waited and got 2 of them for the same price...:rolleyes:
    But now the 8800GTS is on the way next month which will be faster than the GT and probably as fast if not faster the GTX.(Jesus i hope its not or i'll be as sick .....:(
    I'd say wait for the GTS.

With the new respin, Nvidia were just setting themselves up to push the coffin nails deeper into ATI.
    I was sad to see the new ATI 3870 wasn't much.....Good mid entry card but the GT is better..
    We need ATI to get back in the game, we need competition in the GPU market.......A one horse race is no fun !!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

Thanks for the advice all... A couple of sound replies and a little calming down later, and I'm going to wait for the GT. Dabs say they're going to have some eVGA ones in tomorrow so put my order in last night... However If they ride me like Komplett did with the availability dates I may just have to cry (I was going to say something more manly but in reality this is probably what will happen :) ) All the other parts arrived today and wanted to crack on and nearly be finished! But looking on the bright side this gives me time to take a nice patient approach to this... Get my wiring perfect, look at getting temps down etc... without the temptation to rush rush through it and get gaming... Plus I have an MS exam on thursday and although it'll be easy I cant really be ignoring it!

This delay (if its short enough) might just be a very good thing!

Advertisement