Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of career / doing a masters?

• 18-11-2007 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone...

Complete newbie at all this so go easy on me...

I got a Science Degree in 1993, got a 'Pass with Distinction', mainly thanks to a decent mark in Biology. Since then I've been working in IT.

I'm very interested in Marine Biology, have been scuba diving for a few years and I've started thinking about maybe getting a career in this area. As I already have a degree in Biology, I thought maybe a Masters would be a place to start. Some quick searching online makes me think I'd be looking at a Research Master so I could continue working and paying the bills...

So, I've got all the expected questions. Is a Masters a good first step? Would I get into a course considering I don't have an honours degree? Does only certain universities offer Masters in Marine Biology? I'm based near Dublin, so that would hopefully give me an option of a few different places.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

J.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

Me again...

Since my first post I've also looked into any Higher Diploma courses that might be out there, in case that's an easier stepping stone instead of going straight into a Masters. After some searching I found this page :

http://www.nui.ie/qualifications/diplomas.asp

which seems to lists all the Higher Diplomas, Diplomas and Certificates. available from the NUI. And I can't see anything that mentions Biology, or Marine Biology specifically. Does that mean my only option is a Masters? Does anyone know of any Marine Biology qualifiactions out there at all?

J.

Advertisement