Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

other people's kids

Options
  • 18-11-2007 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

if you have a 7 year old, would you be afraid to bring him and 2 of his friends to an outing like funderland for the day, that being the mother father son and 2 friends, not just the father and kids. please settle a debate between me and o'h. he reckons in todays society it wouldn't be safe for this to happen as kids can have outragous imaginations. have we really come to this, that we'd need at least one other parent with you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

As long as all three kids were going to be together all day then that would be fine, by me anyway.

The parents should just supervise them all though, not go getting involved in too much rough and tumble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

As long as the children who are not yours know that you are incharge and you have contact number for thier parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

people would often bring other people s kids out, no ?
    My sister used to go to loads of places with her friend and their parents - even 2 weeks camping in france. (She s 25 now so they just go abraod a few times a year now without the parents!)
    But we knew them really well as they were next door neighbours.

Just remember
    Kids are like farts. You can tolerate your own but not someone else's ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

if you have a 7 year old, would you be afraid to bring him and 2 of his friends to an outing like funderland for the day, that being the mother father son and 2 friends, not just the father and kids. please settle a debate between me and o'h. he reckons in todays society it wouldn't be safe for this to happen as kids can have outragous imaginations. have we really come to this, that we'd need at least one other parent with you?

Perfectly acceptable and good fun. But the f@rt analogy is oh so true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Not a parent yet, but like the others, I don't see a problem with this at all. Assuming the parents of the other kids know where you are going and are ok with this, and you know the kids aren;t going to be little hellions who try to destroy everything, there should be no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

the argument my boyfriend was making was that sometimes kids cry wolf, as in he would be parnoid about all the abuse stories you hear. he's afraid a kid could make something up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

the argument my boyfriend was making was that sometimes kids cry wolf, as in he would be parnoid about all the abuse stories you hear. he's afraid a kid could make something up

That's why you'd need to make sure the kids all stayed together (never one of the other kids alone with the adult(s)) and why personally I'd avoid horse-play with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

Don't let the tabloid press rob our children of fun and adventures with caring adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Play dates like this happen all the time. Would your OH be trying to get out of a hard day with 3 kids?! Just kidding!

As the other posters said, you just need to keep yourself covered. Toilet breaks etc, with that age group are fine, they won't need any help. Just travel as a group and enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Have 2 older DS and am happy for them to go out with their friend's parents provided I know the parents. TBH I wouldn't let my kids out for the day with ANYONE male or female unless I knew them well and felt I could trust them. It is something I did worry about when DS1 wanted to have sleepovers (said no until I new the other paretns v well) and went to football matches without me or DH (had a big long chat about changing rooms and going to toilets etc)
    I think its good that your DH is concerned ( important that he wouldn't leave himself in a vulnerable position) but shouldn't let that prevent him and the kids having fun - imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

We brought two kids on holidays with ours a number of times and all had a ball. Mind you the kids and their parents knew us very well. All this talk about abuse etc is just scaremongering.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My daughter was a scout leader and for this reason they're told to make sure that an adult is never alone in private with just a single child.
    If your boyfriend is worried then let him bring two children at a time to the toilet if one wants to go, since the toilets can be very out of the way in these places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

thanks a mil for opinions and advice. tbh our little man is only a year old but we were just talking the other night and i was sayin how much fun we can have in the future when the subject popped up and i thought he was being a bit over cautious but then thought i might be just niave so glad to know that we can still look forward to that kind of thing. it's just hypathetical at the mo but since the first year flew so quick no doubt the rest will too, thanks again for all

Advertisement