Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

chokeslam *ufc spoiler*

• 18-11-2007 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

chokeslam.gif

BAM!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

JR: "Good God, good God Almighty, he just chokeslammed him straight to Hell!"

JR: "Oh my God, King! He just broke him in half!"

'Taker: "You will rest in Peeeeeace!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Is there any truth to the idea that the WWE is being influenced by the popularity of the UFC and the wrestlers are doing more submission stuff and they're wrestling/martial art credentials are being highlighted more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Probably, back in 1996/1997 when they first started taking notice of UFC.
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Probably, back in 1996/1997 when they first started taking notice of UFC.

I don't think they were threatened by them though, Vince advertised some UFC PPVs on Raw back then

At the Strikeforce event on Friday one guy got a guillotine choke on his opponent and he dropped to the ground, apparently the fans actually shouted "DDT"

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote: »
    I don't think they were threatened by them though, Vince advertised some UFC PPVs on Raw back then

At the Strikeforce event on Friday one guy got a guillotine choke on his opponent and he dropped to the ground, apparently the fans actually shouted "DDT"

That's kinda what i was trying to say. Vince didn't consider ECW a threat, but that didn't stop him from using ECW as a template as sorts to create the Attitude era from. Same went for UFC and the WWE's inclusion of the likes of Shamrock and Severn (despite the fact that Severn had a pro wrestling background long before 1997)

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Is there any truth to the idea that the WWE is being influenced by the popularity of the UFC and the wrestlers are doing more submission stuff and they're wrestling/martial art credentials are being highlighted more.

if anything its going both ways, UFC are using "storylines" to build matches and grudges just like WWE does

krudler wrote: »
    if anything its going both ways, UFC are using "storylines" to build matches and grudges just like WWE does

I'll have to agree with this. Especially since TUF was introduced a few years back, they tend to build a lot of grudges from past TUF encounters.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

UFC are using "storylines" to build matches and grudges just like WWE does

Except UFC has done it better for about 18 months now.

In fairness, that hasn't been much of a challenge now has it? ;)
    Eastenders, Neighbours and Home And Away have had better storylines than WWE... (not that i would know! ;) )
    VR!

• Advertisement

In fairness, that hasn't been much of a challenge now has it? ;)

For the first four months of the year it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

They have indeed, although once in a while the advantages of pro-wrestling become clear, like when Houston Alexander got knocked out at the weekend

I was thinking the other day, I think one of the big advantages that UFC has in creating stars is that most guys only fight about three times a year. Whenever a guy shows up it often feels like something special. WWE ends up watering down potential stars, although TNA are much worse

For the first four months of the year it was.

I really didn't see anything special in the Michaels/Cena storyline. Maybe thats due to the parade o'crap i've taken in this year. I might dig out the early year PPVs and watch em again as the extras often contain buildups/RAW appearances but i've had bugger all interest in either brand storyline wise since about November/December 2006.

That's just me though, and yes, i know i'm in the minority here, but i found TNA this year far more entertaining, even with Russo's stories.

VR!

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Talking about going both ways, Brock lesner is to debut soon, i cant wait for that. i wonder if they'll throw some poor sucker at him or put him in a difficult bout. although i seen some top notch fighters KO'd by some so called Suckers.

liger wrote: »
    Talking about going both ways, Brock lesner is to debut soon, i cant wait for that. i wonder if they'll throw some poor sucker at him or put him in a difficult bout. although i seen some top notch fighters KO'd by some so called Suckers.

He's fighting Frank Mir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

That's just me though, and yes, i know i'm in the minority here, but i found TNA this year far more entertaining, even with Russo's stories.

VR!

Not the only one

Advertisement