Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift Ideas

• 18-11-2007 11:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all!!!

Well, i wonder if you guys can help me somewhat....

My girlfriend in an actress, writer and director. She works in theatre and has wrote many pieces and directed a few plays. At the minute she's writing a screenplay but she wants to get behind the camera a bit more.

She has some stuff recorded and she mentioned to me she wants to get together an editing suite. I was thinking of getting her some sort of audio/video editing software but it's quite expensive and i'm not made of money, plus even if i could splash out her laptop isn't up to scratch so i'm afraid it could go to waste.

So i was thinking, when all you peeps were starting out what bit of kit would you have liked to have to hand? Be it any bit of software or hardware, camera? Anything at all!!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Well if i money was no object it would be an avid ds nitris coupled with a few terrabytes storage and a red camera to boot...</dreamworld>

Anyway, if she was serious about it i'd look at getting either a macbook pro or imac. Final Cut Studio is very good, but it's on the expensive side for most. So check out Final Cut Express HD it certainly would be a good starting point. Then add in an external firewire drive to capture your media to and she should be up and editing n no time.

If you were to remain pc based, Avid media composer (expensive)/, Avid express pro (again costly), premier pro or possible sony vegas would be the way to go.

I know alot of the software i've mentioned is quite expensive, but it professional grade software used day in, day out in post houses throughout the world. No doubt someone at some stage will suggest something like power director or some equally cheap software.... but there is a perfectly good reason why this stuff is cheap. It's crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

There is a handy book to go with Final cut pro 5. http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Pro-Training-Final-Cut/dp/0321334817

I used it and it is easy to follow. It is also the apple official curriculum book for the cert. So Final cut pro or Express is a good option as mentioned already.

Advertisement