Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car would you buy with €6000

Options
  • 18-11-2007 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭

Right,here is my situation.I currently have about €6000 to spend on a car,as I'm only 18 I want to keep the engine size to a max of 1.6 but would prefer a 1.4 for insurance reasons.
    I have been looking at carzone.ie for a while now but can't seem to find the perfect car
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

first off ... I wouldn't spend it all, leave some for all the running cost.

So, I'd recommend something like this:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=846113

Good enough looking not to be an embarrassement, cheap to run and and maintain, actually quite nice to drive, well equipped and practical too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Thanks and yeah it doesn't look too bad to say the least.I have €6000 budgeted for a car,thats not all my funds,i have other funds for insurance and what not

Well ...the full 6 k buys you an extra year and a few miles less

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=830613

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

That citroen is horrible , i certainly dont think its good enough looking not to be an embarassment but horses for courses etc. - i certainly wouldnt be caught dead in one.

At your age if you have that kind of money to spend why not go for something nice and slick like an e36 BMW 316i coupe with m-tec kit :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

01 Focus 1.6 ghia would do the job nicely.

• Advertisement

bobcar61 wrote: »
    can this be for real?

they're looking for 5.5k

if this flaots your boat ...there are plenty to choose from for that money.
    see list

I'd expect insurance might be a bit of a killer though on that for an 18 year old (could be wrong though)

I didnt even notice the price in the summary part,damn them:mad:

I'm not sure what kinda car I fancy,I drive a crappy 01 Corsa at the mo and im dying for a change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

peasant wrote: »
    they're looking for 5.5k

In the price box it says €1,000:D!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Also..
    The MG description doesnt mention all the heartache that is thrown in for free...
    The electrics are a nightmare on these.... and there not a great drive either !!

• Advertisement

If i were 18 with 6k to spend on a car, id go for something like this

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=802987

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

01 Focus 1.6 ghia would do the job nicely.

would agree with this, focus is great value at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=844641
    Brace yourself for the hairdresser jibes:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

These are good spec cars for the money - http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=794407 - Good few around that money...1.4/1.9D.

macshadow wrote: »
    www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=carID=844641
    Brace yourself for the hairdresser jibes:rolleyes:

Damn hairdressers and their broken url's :p

Seperate wrote: »
    These are good spec cars for the money - http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=794407 - Good few around that money...1.4/1.9D.

Same car underneath as the Citroen Xsara ...

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

peasant wrote: »
    Same car underneath as the Citroen Xsara ...

Yep, far better looking though (imo). Plenty of room in them aswel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭qballirl

Right,here is my situation.I currently have about €6000 to spend on a car,as I'm only 18 I want to keep the engine size to a max of 1.6 but would prefer a 1.4 for insurance reasons.
    I have been looking at carzone.ie for a while now but can't seem to find the perfect car
    Any suggestions?

I would have to go with C_Breeze i was 20 got a e36 316 for 3k 94 reg and have the engine running like new, there is loads of info online about these cars and are a dream to drive don't think i could settle for anything less especially for driving up and down a motor way all day. Take a look around first went to buy an e30 before that was checking the engine for around a half an hour because it was idling rough, i knew i could fix it but them 30 mins came round and the radiator blew, also to make this car run a dream like new will only cost ya a few hundred quid if ya do it yourself.

qballirl wrote: »
    I would have to go with C_Breeze i was 20 got a e36 316 for 3k 94 reg and have the engine running like new, there is loads of info online about these cars and are a dream to drive don't think i could settle for anything less especially for driving up and down a motor way all day. Take a look around first went to buy an e30 before that was checking the engine for around a half an hour because it was idling rough, i knew i could fix it but them 30 mins came round and the radiator blew, also to make this car run a dream like new will only cost ya a few hundred quid if ya do it yourself.

Oh yeah and if your interested in spending the whole 6k on one of these check out autotrader.co.uk you will get a beautiful e36 for that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Think laterally and you'll be the coolest 18 year old in your street.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=843514

Mike.

• Advertisement

somehow Mike65 I dont think I will be buying that one....I will leave that to you

Oh and in relation to the e36 316, what would the insurance be like,I have always like those cars,just wasn't sure about insurance
    Admittedly I don't really have a clue about a cars engine so I wouldn't know what to look for to see if it was ok and I wouldn't have a clue how to fix it myself

Depending on where you live ive got third party with quinn in laois for 1,798per year that is at 20 on a provisional driving since Feb. I have to admit im not an expert on cars i find myself going into motor factors asking for the square yellow thing to stop leafs going into my engine, half the time to be honest if something needs repairing its gotta be repaired some way be it mechanic or me and when times are tough ya gotta wing it yourself, cause either way it will need to be fixed if its broken and if i brake it more. But i can honestly say ive drivin a few high performance Jap cars that friends have which are great fun but as for the driving i do which is mostly motorway based it is pretty good on fuel and it is amazingly comfortable for a car of its age, also as far as parts go i was told that they are ridiculosly expensive but i have not been hit with anything over the top everything seemed to be reasonably priced and im just about to change the brake pads tomorrow which cost something like 20euro.

€1798 isn't too bad,but I'm 18,living in Sligo and I'm on my 2nd provisional. Still don't know what car I will go with,I don't want anything OTT or anything like that.
    Ive driven a few highly modified cars high performance cars myself and don't think anything special of them,nice to look at for a few mins buts that all

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Even though they get some abuse on here I'd think about this

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=812643

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    Even though they get some abuse on here I'd think about this

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=812643

The 147 is a good motor, just a bit more expensive for servicing and ya gotta change the timing belt every 35k.

My mate got the 1.6 focus and loves it, and i love borrowing it from time to time. Great little runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

I like the 147 but I prefer the 156,only thing is they are classified as sports cars for insurance reasons i think so that puts me off

Gotta love the civic,but they are so common

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I like the 147 but I prefer the 156,only thing is they are classified as sports cars for insurance reasons i think so that puts me off

Who the f*** is telling you this - they're feeding you porkies. I've owned & insured more than one 156 with a number of different companys & never heard such piffle. I'm an Alfa fanboy as bad as any but even I won't claim a 1.6 120bhp hatchback is a sports car.

You'll get a 156 for that money; find one with a proper service history & you're laughing; I doubt insurance will be any more than a 316.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Is insurance not difficult to get on BMWs at his age?

Im 21 and I had difficulty getting decent insurance on any BMW.

Bobcar61, how about a Mercedes? :D Should be a few nice ones knocking about for 6k!

edit: Honda are nice too. If you don't mind the low riding height they are nice cars.

Advertisement