Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bb costs: Ireland vs. Germany: broadband 30 Mbit/s (!) incl. phone for 39.90 Euro

Options
  • 18-11-2007 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

just like to share this. The Irish broadband providers are taking us all for a ride! On the continent you can get a package incl. phone e.g. + broadband 30 Mbit/s (!!!) for just 39.90 Euro.

It's probably the oil/shipping costs why they charge us so much here! ;-)

see here:
    http://www.computerbase.de/bild/news/18340/1/

all the best
    togota

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

In japan you get 100mb for even less than that,or so im told

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I am sorry to have to tell ye that its OBVIOUS that our 2mbit and Line rental and calls for €60 is better value than some souped up German cack at €40.

We have special copper, different copper even. Premium priced copper . Just ask Comreg .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

The quality of broadband in this country is appalling but in the defense of broadband providers in this country. Germany has a population of about 83m & is on the continent surrounded by other countries with comparable populations. Ireland is a tiny island with a population of 4.2m. Yes some provider could probably upgrade the islands pathetic communications infrastructure at massive expense & provide a similar package at a massive loss which would be taken up by a few thousand people. It's simply not cost effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Eircom are owned by Babcock and Brown. How many people live in Australia?

Where are three from? Why can't they afford to invest in their network?

Its a joke and the reason its a joke is we all come up with excuses for the situation we are in.

The reason we are in this situation is because we put up with bad management of the country from FF and make excuses for companies that are ripping us off like we have an invested interest in protecting them!

Not to mention our half a** regulators. Almost all Irish regulatory bodies seem to be a joke that we put up with (Comreg don't regulate broadband but if they did, they'd probably be the worst broadband regulator in the world) !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Simi wrote: »
    The quality of broadband in this country is appalling but in the defense of broadband providers in this country. Germany has a population of about 83m & is on the continent surrounded by other countries with comparable populations. Ireland is a tiny island with a population of 4.2m. Yes some provider could probably upgrade the islands pathetic communications infrastructure at massive expense & provide a similar package at a massive loss which would be taken up by a few thousand people. It's simply not cost effective.

Its also a hell of a lot smaller than Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Its also a hell of a lot smaller than Germany.

And with a more widely-spread and sparse population. It's all about the bottom line. We are a Lilliputian market in comparison to other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Freddie59 wrote: »
    And with a more widely-spread and sparse population.

I dont see 30 Mbit/s or anything like it in any of our cities either.....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

This is one of the perks of living in a capitalist society, unless it makes a profit you wont get to see the newest shiny technology.

/rant
    Government sells off Eircom, complete with infrastructure AFTER the same mistake was made in Denmark. The Danes eventually got that mistake sorted, but at the time of Eircoms sale, it was well publicized that they had a problem much like the one we have now. But in typical Irish Political style we forged ahead and sold the lot. Whos to blame? Certainly not Eircom, they like any other company have a primary directive to make a profit for its shareholders, end of story there. Recently Eircom was up for sale again, an opportunity to buy it back and fix the situation (separate the company into an infrastructural and telecoms company, retain the infrastructural company and sell the telecoms company leveling the playing field) but alas that would take the admission of a mistake, cant be having that from our shiny politicians. Yes it would cost money, but damn it at least the country could move on.
    And regarding the FF bashing on this issue, I don't remember ANY opposition to that sale from the opposing parties.

So what wonderful ideas have been put in place to circumvent this problem;

GBS schemes!!, great idea, like the water schemes of old. Yip, leave it up to the people to provide for themselves, thats what our taxes are for aren't they?

Comreg, a communications regulator, excellent idea! They can MAKE Eircom and co provide us with the infrastructure we need. But lets not give them any power or resources shall we? Wouldn't want them to be too effective now would we?

wISP licenses (damn hard work for feck all return), fill the country with providers working on the same unlicensed frequencies and let them battle it out for dominance, but don't give them ANY support or regulation. May the best antenna win. ( I know I'm generalizing )

Inform the public that they shouldn't be setting up technological companies in rural areas! I still cant believe a government official came out with that one.

Whats the solution?. Damned if I know. An extra tick box on the ballot paper stating 'None of the above' is all I can come up with, forcing the parties to go back and find new blood and new solutions. That is their job after all.

rant/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

The copper used within Irelands networks is of a higher class and quality than that which is used in other countries anywhere in the world. The bi-polar pertinent solar loss is much lower when compared to standard yogurt cartons and piece of string and therefore it is justified to charge a higher cost for such quality of service. You also must of course take into account the importation costs for importing IP traffic into Ireland where the Irish government insist on an IPRT (IP Registration Tax) on all traffic. Not to mention the EU law Eu.668827-a01 subsection 7.3382b which allows any country the right to impose an exportation tax on all IP traffic which is routed outside of Europe.

As for wireless, you all know how green and fresh our air is here in Ireland and that this adds to the quality of our wireless signals passing through such air. It is deemed therefore that ISPs should be allowed charge higher rates for usage of wireless internet in Ireland and that this be offset against carbon tax to create a round robin type dual charge system incoroparating the clean air wireless tax, carbon neutral tax, green air tax and lastly the solar winds offset bypass tax. Please also be aware that these charges may be subject to change upward depending on the amount of active sun spots at any given date and/or the amount of christmas tree's that have not been recyled by end of January each year.

So clearly, we're not being ripped off and all these high costs are justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

The only thing stopping me moving to Berlin tomorrow is my lake of German and the news IT Security laws they have brought in....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I didn't think those laws had already gone through?
    And it's really aimed at terrorists, they are not going to chase you for downloading a few songs!!

BB here is on a different level compared to Ireland. I've a 16MB connection with phone line included and free landline calls for €25 a month. Also I've heard that some of the Irish providers have something called a "cap" where you can only download x amount of data a month, that doesn't exist here either!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 HarrierJoe

The real sad part is that all that the Irish would do is complain about this, moan to their mates having a pint, yet no-one will stand up and do something about this.

You know the classic story of the frog in the pot slowly being heated up? Just think Rip-off Ireland. Why do you think so many multi-national companies come here to set up shop only to leave a year later. Bertie will prob get his nice fat pay-rise, stick out his tongue at Sarkozy, and all the Irish will do is complain about things.

Nobody here (in Dublin) has the guts to do anything about it. There. Now go do what you do, pay through your ears for BB, food, drink, petrol and stop complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

togota wrote: »
    just like to share this. The Irish broadband providers are taking us all for a ride! On the continent you can get a package incl. phone e.g. + broadband 30 Mbit/s (!!!) for just 39.90 Euro.

The busses run on time too. The point is that the people who run stuff over there are GERMAN. We're IRISH. We simply lack the gene that relates to organising that stuff. In order to achieve an equivalent BB infrastructure, every road in the country would have to be dug up every other day. It just isn't possible.

Wait.

Lets hire germans to do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

HarrierJoe wrote: »
    The real sad part is that all that the Irish would do is complain about this, moan to their mates having a pint, yet no-one will stand up and do something about this.

You know the classic story of the frog in the pot slowly being heated up? Just think Rip-off Ireland. Why do you think so many multi-national companies come here to set up shop only to leave a year later. Bertie will prob get his nice fat pay-rise, stick out his tongue at Sarkozy, and all the Irish will do is complain about things.

Nobody here (in Dublin) has the guts to do anything about it. There. Now go do what you do, pay through your ears for BB, food, drink, petrol and stop complaining.

Well there is a breakthrough if ever I heard one. Tell me Harrierjoe, what would you recommend. Several of us here have been members of lobby groups or individually written to politicians / Comreg.

You seem to know a lot. How do you think we should address it differently? I look forward to your advice as it is clear you know more about this than anyone here. Please, don't leave us hanging too long, I can't wait to get 30Mb/s for 39.90 and I suspect and firmly believe you have "the guts" that we all need to achieve this.

I love you HarrierJoe.

We simply lack the gene that relates to organising that stuff.

A single tear of vindication just rolled down my cheek. I don't think the majority of Irish can organise AT ALL.

The Irish fear any type of change the most. You'll rather suffer in silence rather than stand up and actually do something about anything, as long as Guinness flows in abundance. Thank God for the EU and its funding, otherwise you'd prob still be using morse code.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

HarrierJoe, this is the broadband forum not the politics forum,
    If you want to discuss Ireland and its role within the EU then take it to politics

Cabaal wrote: »
    HarrierJoe, this is the broadband forum not the politics forum,
    If you want to discuss Ireland and its role within the EU then take it to politics

Sorry Cabaal. You are right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Damn right leave the EU out of it or they will take away our great copper lines that we pay lot of money for each month, more than anyone else in the EU in fact because they are so good.

We have a right to pay €26 a month for our special 14.4k connections, if the EU tries to interfere with that right I will vote against that oul constitution of their next year so I will.

Nobody else in the whole EU has a special service like that .

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MFZ

OP's ad is not available country-wide.
    Most users in Germany have max speeds of 6MBit/s, a number is rate-adaptive up to 16MBit/s, still a number cannot get any DSL-service at all and a small, but growing number has higher speeds, mainly provided by local telcoms.

What Ireland could easily go for is ADSL up to 6MBit/s and no Up/Down-cap.
    Why they stick to 3MBit/s hell knows. Rate-adaptive speeds (probably using ADLS2+) is no rocket science nowadays.

MFZ wrote: »
    OP's ad is not available country-wide.
    Most users in Germany have max speeds of 6MBit/s, a number is rate-adaptive up to 16MBit/s, still a number cannot get any DSL-service at all and a small, but growing number has higher speeds, mainly provided by local telcoms.

What Ireland could easily go for is ADSL up to 6MBit/s and no Up/Down-cap.
    Why they stick to 3MBit/s hell knows. Rate-adaptive speeds (probably using ADLS2+) is no rocket science nowadays.

Don't NTL supply 6 Megs in all their areas? And have done for a long time now?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Don't NTL supply 6 Megs in all their areas? And have done for a long time now?:confused:

Yup! Have one at home :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Casey Vision cable 9Mbps.
    Digiweb Metro up to 10Mbps.

But if you are on DSL and its not LLU, you're a bit stuck. Most LLU DSL has 6Mbps or More; mostly Smart and some BT. Though others would offer more if the eircom wholesale costs and backhaul from exchange was more competitive.

Achilles wrote: »
    Yup! Have one at home :P

So that means its available to some half a million homes??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

no. Because only a proportion of cabled homes have cable good enough for Digital and only a proportion of those have upstream path (5Mhz to 65MHz band) and only a proportion of those have CMTS on headend.

But UPC are working hard fixing 20 years of neglect.

And Comreg removed part of MMDS band making it now impossible for 2.5GHz Broadband along side the Digital MMDS. The 185,000 MMDS customers need some other supplier for Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

And during the last 10-15 years of rampant construction and planning applications, was there ever a national provision for fiber ducting in housing developments?

Was there fluck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

watty wrote: »
    no. Because only a proportion of cabled homes have cable good enough for Digital and only a proportion of those have upstream path (5Mhz to 65MHz band) and only a proportion of those have CMTS on headend.

At this stage it is the majority though (I think). It is definitely not like 3 years ago when you were lucky if you could get NTL.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    In japan you get 100mb for even less than that,or so im told
    Well they are rolling out Gigabit (yes GIGA) in Sweden in 2008 for major cities for private persons. The price was very reasonable (40 to 60 euro on the top of my head).

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭MHP

A friend, living in Paris, just signed up with Free.fr. For €30 per month she gets telephone, TV (100 channels, HD compatible) and internet at 28Mb/1Mb.

watty wrote: »

But UPC are working hard fixing 20 years of neglect.

And Comreg removed part of MMDS band making it now impossible for 2.5GHz Broadband along side the Digital MMDS. The 185,000 MMDS customers need some other supplier for Internet.

I'm in Waterford. Available everywhere here. Several of my friends have it.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Hody

togota wrote: »

It's probably the oil/shipping costs why they charge us so much here! ;-)

see here:
    http://www.computerbase.de/bild/news/18340/1/

all the best
    togota

Hey Togota are you German!? Bist Du Deutscher?

Advertisement