Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question on drink driving

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I know of one case where a guest at a wedding (staying in the hotel), went back to his car to retrieve something from the boot. He opened the boot and was then approached by 2 Gardaí sitting across the road. He was breath tested and failed the test. The guest was arrested and charged with drunk in charge. He was fined IR£500 and got banned for 12 months. The fact he had the keys in his possession led to the conviction.

The law is that having the keys is only one indication of being in control of the vehicle. The prosecution must also prove an intention to drive. He obviously had a bad solicitor and or met a bad judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Jo King wrote: »
    The law is that having the keys is only one indication of being in control of the vehicle. The prosecution must also prove an intention to drive. He obviously had a bad solicitor and or met a bad judge.

...or gave lip to the Guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I know of one case where a guest at a wedding (staying in the hotel), went back to his car to retrieve something from the boot. He opened the boot and was then approached by 2 Gardaí sitting across the road. He was breath tested and failed the test. The guest was arrested and charged with drunk in charge. He was fined IR£500 and got banned for 12 months. The fact he had the keys in his possession led to the conviction.
    There's no common sense in the world. While I can see where the guards were coming from they could have waited a minute or two to see whicih direction he walked after the boot!

Advertisement