Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Law texts wanted.

• 19-11-2007 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭

I'd like to buy any or all of the following texts. Good condition, latest editions.

Family Law, Shatter
    Laws of Evidence, Healy
    Company Law, Forde
    Introduction to Jurisprudence, Lloyd
    Law's Empire, Dworkin

PM with details and price wanted.

Thanks!

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

I just 'gave' most of the above away. Apologies.

Shatter is possibly out of date.
    Forde's latest 'blue cover' is worth getting or Keane's latest on Company.
    If you can afford McGrath on Evidence its a good investment, I found Healy better on some items but McGrath more useful.

Law's Empire is really only relevant in about 3 chapters, I've covered it off a couple of times, but its widely available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Gobán Saor

I've now got Healy and Dworkin. Still looking for Forde, Shatter and Lloyd.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I've now got Healy and Dworkin. Still looking for Forde, Shatter and Lloyd.

My advice - Don't by Forde - it's wrong. Get Courtney instead.

Also, try not to buy jurisprudence books, as they don't really have that re-readability/reference quality that other books have.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Claps in agreement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Gobán Saor

Hmmm, consensus from respected posters.....thinks:confused: Lecturer in Kings Inns strongly recommends Forde:confused: Is Courtney that much better:confused:

Confession time, cough, I actually like jurisprudence:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Hmmm, consensus from respected posters.....thinks:confused: Lecturer in Kings Inns strongly recommends Forde:confused: Is Courtney that much better:confused:

Confession time, cough, I actually like jurisprudence:o

Courtney is the go to book for Company law. Forde's books are often badly edited.

Liking jurisprudence is fine, no one is saying you shouldn't like it. It's just that the reality is that in 2 or 3 years time your jurisprudence books will be in an attic somewhere gathering dust, while you will be wishing you bought more substantive text books and used library copies of the jurisprudence ones.

By the by, JM Kelly's A short history of western legal thought (or whatever it's called) is a great little overview of jurisprudence, and it deals with people who wouldn't have considered themselves to be jurisprudes at all.

Advertisement