Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless taksbar icon missing ..xp pro

• 19-11-2007 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

The Wireless icon is missing from the right hand taskbar in windows xp pro. I can't imagine what changes I made to bring this about.
    I'm connected wirelessly to my dsl router - no problem with the connection and the wireless card. Wireless zero config. set to automatic under services. I was just using the operating systems wireless service - not the NIC manufacturers software.

How do I get it back?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

is there any chance it's just hidden? or that it's been disabled in the connection properties?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Its not hidden. Under 'network connections', the only connection showing is the one associated with my ethernet NIC - which i use occasionally. 95% of the time, its the wireless connection i'm using - but thats not listed.

well, if it's not listed under network connections, then the device has either been disabled, uninstalled, or just plain broken! Have a look under the device manager in Computer Management (Right click My Computer > Manage). look for your wireless adapter!

well, if it's not listed under network connections, then the device has either been disabled, uninstalled, or just plain broken! Have a look under the device manager in Computer Management (Right click My Computer > Manage). look for your wireless adapter!
    Its still an active wireless connection. Just that its not showing up under network connections and the wireless icon is not in the taskbar. Under device manager, the card is listed - with the drivers i installed it with originally - working fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Try right clicking in the area where it should be [near the clock].

Click on 'Customise Notifications'.

Find the icon in the list. Toggle the behaviour status to 'always show'.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link findingnemo - but that refers to infrared links - of which this one isnt.

@ethernet: tried that - had multiple listings for the wireless network - i changed to 'always show' but nothing appeared.

Anyone else got any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

What make is the wireless card? It's better to use the Manufacturers management utility rather than Windows. Is it Intel or Dell?

JæKæ wrote: »
    What make is the wireless card? It's better to use the Manufacturers management utility rather than Windows. Is it Intel or Dell?
    Its an Atheros card. The point is that it was working consistently for a long time without any trouble (and still is...its just that the wireless icon has dissappeared - and i like to check wireless signal strength - along with availability of other networks).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Try start > run > msconfig
    Startup tab, check for any wireless-related process and let me know what you have

• Advertisement

JæKæ wrote: »
    Try start > run > msconfig
    Startup tab, check for any wireless-related process and let me know what you have
    Nothing wireless related - i recognised all entries.
    Its not so much that its causing me a great inconvenience (netstumbler works - so i can check availalbe networks) - its just that Its got me confused as to how the hell it went missing and why it doesnt show under network connections...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

try toggling the taskbar properties - the bit about hiding inactive icons - I prefer to have them visible all the time

also in network properties there is a button to show the normal ( non wireless) properties of the link when connected - other wise it's only visibe when you don't connect

maybe?

[via google]

thats the only thing that makes sense alright - i did allow updates very recently. I can't find out for sure by getting ms to send me the hotfix for obvious reasons.

Advertisement