Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Commercial Vehicle ?

Options
  • 19-11-2007 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭

Can i do my test in a commercial vehicle, hyundai santa fe 4x4 , commercial model (no back seats, metal panals over back windows) and goods taxed ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Can i do my test in a commercial vehicle, hyundai santa fe 4x4 , commercial model (no back seats, metal panals over back windows) and goods taxed ???
    Yup - it's still a category B vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I have no idea whether testers take any different view on the type of vehicle you are driving so long as it in the correct category as WA said.
    Personally I wouldnt recommend it.
    While there may not be an official line on it, I would suspect that a tester would be looking for that little bit more from someone in a commercial vehicle. Observation is one area you will have to prove more, as without rear windows and reduced all round visibility your mirror work and good checking of blind spots would have to be very obvious. Also as it is a large vehicle, he might look for a good appreciation of this and your courtesy to other drivers. These may not be actual categories on his checklist, but he could be more critical of other faults if your general attitude is lacking.
    I doubt a tester would be happy if a truck driver drove his truck just like a car, hence the differing categories.
    If you are very used to it and have already received lessons in it and your instructor thinks it is ok, fine, otherwise I'd go with a more regular private car.

All said, I am not very impressed when I see commercial vehicles on the road with L-plates on unless they are under instruction for a non B licence. It gives a very bad impression of a company that cant even be bothered to ensure their employees have licences to drive for a living.
    It absolutely wouldnt happen elsewhere, no reason why here should be an exception. It's enough of a joke without companies abusing it too.
    Just before the backlash, I'm talking about big courier vans, ESB trucks, etc.

wil wrote: »
    I'm talking about big courier vans, ESB trucks, etc.
    Most courier vans are owner-driven. Very few employers who require drivers will employ a driver with a provisional licence regardless of the category.

The only exception is when the employee purchases larger vehicles and is willing to 'upgrade' the drivers.

In my experience, it is usually owner drivers or persons in a family firm who flout the accompanied law.

Re ESB - the driver is probably training to drive the vehicle. You will occasionally see army trucks, fire tenders etc. with 'L' plates for training purposes.

Most courier vans are owner-driven. Very few employers who require drivers will employ a driver with a provisional licence regardless of the category.

The only exception is when the employee purchases larger vehicles and is willing to 'upgrade' the drivers.

In my experience, it is usually owner drivers or persons in a family firm who flout the accompanied law.

Re ESB - the driver is probably training to drive the vehicle. You will occasionally see army trucks, fire tenders etc. with 'L' plates for training purposes.
    Thats the theory and thats what I would like to believe.
    How many employers actually check the licences of their employees? Most just take their word. They may be tightening up now, but after how long.
    The ESB truck I saw was on the job and not being used for instruction.
    The courier van AFAIR was a company one, but whether it was company or one person company, it beggars belief that it was being driven unaccompanied for work purposes by an L-driver - so you CAN drive for a living without a licence.:( Yes I have seen many trucks, buses, even an army tank (Panhard AML 90 APC AFAIR) driven under instruction so I can tell the difference. I wish everyone could.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I did my driving test (If you could call it that) in a VW Caddy, and didn't have a single issue throughout the test.

• Advertisement

ned78 wrote: »
    I did my driving test (If you could call it that) in a VW Caddy, and didn't have a single issue throughout the test.
    You mean a 2 seater Golf with the back chopped off. Hardly an SUV.
    Bet you didnt have the horrible cover on the back for the test.
    Got my only speeding points in a caddy, the indignity of it all, why couldnt they wait till I was driving a proper car.:o Well it couldnt go much faster than the motorway limit anyway.

wil wrote: »
    How many employers actually check the licences of their employees? Most just take their word. They may be tightening up now, but after how long
    Insurance companies usually require the employer to furnish photocopies of both sides of their employees' licences on a yearly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

The trouble is, if they are owner driven then generally the driver is a contractor. The contractor is responsible for his own insurance so the onus is on him, the company won't care or bother to check his licence. I was in this game and the only thing the company cares about is whether or not you're insured.

irishthump wrote: »
    the company won't care or bother to check his licence
    My point still stands in relation to 'employees'.

Advertisement