Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Low Speed Limits

Options
  • 19-11-2007 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭

I'm taking my test next Tuesday and have been practising around the test centre, familiarising myself with the area and whatnot. A few of the roads around the centre have signs saying the speed limit is 10km/h (6 miles?).

Will I assume that I should stick to the speed limit here even if it is difficult driving at such a slow speed? Or will I get marked for not making progress (the road is wide, flat, and basically deserted)?

My instructor said that I don't need to stick to 10km as long as I am still driving quite slow. On the other hand, I don't want to risk failing my test 10 seconds after leaving the centre for breaking a speed limit!

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

This is present in one of the Dublin centres also (fonthill) and when I did my test I went over the 10kmph limit (went about 25km ph) but that was my decision, I would see what kind of tester you get and go from there...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Gauge wrote: »
    . A few of the roads around the centre have signs saying the speed limit is 10km/h (6 miles?)
    Are they not private roads in schools, factories hospital etc?

The lowest general speed limit is 30kph (19mph) in some Dublin streets but not on any test routes.

AFAIK all test routes cover 'public roads' (except perhaps the entry/exit of the actual test centre). :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

The test centre is located in an industrial area (it's actually at an NCT centre), just inside an industrial estate... the roads leading to and from the centre, and a few around, have signs posted saying 10km/h. Quite a few speed bumps around the place.

I'm just worried about failing in the first or last few minutes of the test for breaking the speed limit :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I would say try to stick to the limit, you are not doing anything wrong by that.
    There may be good reason, and especially if there are so many speed bumps they want you to keep it down. I dont know if the industrial estate is considered private property, I doubt it, no more than a housing estate, unlike schools etc which are private property, but even so respecting the limit shows the tester you are observing and capable of driving slowly and smoothly.

There may be good reason such as the number of L-drivers in the area or NCT failures and they are covering themselves for insurance purposes.

My local Tesco has a 5kph limit. Its a small carpark and quite tight so with people wandering out with shopping, on phones, kids, it is suitable. In a larger carpark, it might seem too restrictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Gauge wrote: »
    I'm just worried about failing in the first or last few minutes of the test for breaking the speed limit :(
    If it's on a private road then the speed limits have no statutory basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

i guess that would be the test center in little island , my wife did her test there about a month ago(she passed ) , she just went slow about 20kph and nothing was said , its a great place to do the test , the traffic is much lighter than the city and the testers there seem much friendlier , they do the 3 point turn oppisite KFC and the reverse around the corner at the creche most of the time , you will probably be brought on to the dual carridgeway and back on to little island just before the tunnell so get used to the lane changes for that , good luck with the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Hey that's where I practised 3 point turns for a while haha :) good to know.

I've heard they can also take you around Mayfield and Glenmire if they feel like it though :(

Advertisement