Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Tenants - Whose problem is it anyway?

Options
  • 19-11-2007 1:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I would be of the opinion that once a tenant rents a property, they in essence "own" it. If a neighbour has an issue, then they should deal with the tenants, only using the landlord as a last resort.

Looking at the above situation from the neighbour's point of view, it could be possible that the dividing wall between the two houses is extremely thin and if a television was placed against this wall, it might be possible for the sound to travel. For instance, I live in an old building divided into flats, and sound travels in the weirdest ways. A new neighbour moved in upstairs and music began to appear loudly in our sitting room. When I went upstairs to ask him, I noticed that he had a woofer located near the air vents. I asked him to move it, and the problem was solved. I wouldn't have bothered the landlord with that and I think that it is a pity that these neighbours don't have the common courtesy to try to deal with the tenants first.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

dudara, you are wrong here. While the renter should be responsible for keeping noise to a minimum. They would have a contract with the Landlord which would specify that the noise levels should be kept low. If they are breaking this then the landlord is responsible to take action. The neighbour should approach the tenants first as would be most poilte but are within their rights to contact landlord directly if it keeps up (I am saying this from a landlord's point of view).

To the OP, go talk with your neighbours and explain. If they keep making problems for you speak to the landlord and explain that you are doing nothing wrong. Speak to the gardai as they may be trying to get you evicted by constantly complaining to the landlord for some reason or another.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Morbid.Angel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Can you clarify what is meant by this? If he doesn't own the house, then he is not the landlord at all!

Advertisement