Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is a business stil trading

Options
  • 19-11-2007 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

hi

how do i find out if a LTD business is still trading ? is there a website or service i can call to verify ?

tnx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

you could look at the cro site and see if they are filing returns or if they are liquidated/struck off etc

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

Nuttzz wrote: »
    you could look at the cro site and see if they are filing returns or if they are liquidated/struck off etc

tnx for reply
    i emailed cro and they got back to me :
    We can not advice if a company is still trading however this company is
    still live on our database. It is due an annual return that is now late.

Do you have any idea on how I could confirm if this company is still trading or not ?

Tnx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

you can ring the company? site visit? if you are dealing with them or before you want to start a deal - maybe ask them for a tax clearance certificate?.. reference letter from their accountants or solicitors? that's probably ott..

marty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

tnx for reply
    i emailed cro and they got back to me :

Do you have any idea on how I could confirm if this company is still trading or not ?

Tnx

Mention the companies name here and see if anyone has had any dealings with it recently?

Or as someone else mentioned ring them or do a site visit if they have offices.

mart_max wrote: »
    you can ring the company? site visit? if you are dealing with them or before you want to start a deal - maybe ask them for a tax clearance certificate?.. reference letter from their accountants or solicitors? that's probably ott..

marty

hi,

i know the company - its just one person - a very dishonest person - i am about to initiate legal proceedings against the company as he is a very bad debtor - however last contact with this person he said he was closing the company ( i think this is just to have me drop the case )

i am just about to approach solicitors about how best to tackle this - however i would like to do some ground work myself - surely there must be a way of finding out if hes still trading without actually asking him?

id rather not mention a name right now (as much as id like to tell the while long story and name a shame him)

tnx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

from my point of view, i couldn't care more or less if he still trades or not. even he's liquidating the company, i'm being a legitimate creditor still can pursue for my rights and squeze watever left in the company and milk it to the last cent. him being as shareholder/director will be expose to some liabilities in many ways too.

the key action is to get to my solicitor who is able to pursue the debts on the right course. if the company is going down, i'll make sure he's going down too. pardon me if it does sounds a bit harsh/dogdy.

Marty

mart_max wrote: »
    from my point of view, i couldn't care more or less if he still trades or not. even he's liquidating the company, i'm being a legitimate creditor still can pursue for my rights and squeze watever left in the company and milk it to the last cent. him being as shareholder/director will be expose to some liabilities in many ways too.

the key action is to get to my solicitor who is able to pursue the debts on the right course. if the company is going down, i'll make sure he's going down too. pardon me if it does sounds a bit harsh/dogdy.

Marty

My understanding is that you can persue him personally ONLY if he/she can be proven to have acted dishonestly which isnt easy. And I dont think ignoring your calls/emails applies in this case. What would apply is if he/she was still trading despite not having the funds to do so and being obviously insolvent to a HEAVY degree. But in reality a solicitor is the best person to advise you but it depends on a lot of factors. I had to chase up a crowd earlier in the year that owed me €15000 i only got about €3000 out of them (solicitor advised to take it and leg it) but they are still trading and nothing can be done about the remaining €12000

boomer_ie wrote: »
    My understanding is that you can persue him personally ONLY if he/she can be proven to have acted dishonestly which isnt easy. And I dont think ignoring your calls/emails applies in this case. What would apply is if he/she was still trading despite not having the funds to do so and being obviously insolvent to a HEAVY degree. But in reality a solicitor is the best person to advise you but it depends on a lot of factors. I had to chase up a crowd earlier in the year that owed me €15000 i only got about €3000 out of them (solicitor advised to take it and leg it) but they are still trading and nothing can be done about the remaining €12000

thats great thanks - and yes i have lots of emails from him where he shows his dishonesty - for example a few months ago he admitted he owed 2500 and offered 1000 late payment fee (fyi his estimation of what he owes and ours is not the same) but then he came back and only paid 1500 in total.. whats the story with emails in court - how do they stand. and for reference this individual is no where near insolvent - i knwo he has apartments he rents in france and lituania and is director for another company in dublin also

question - why could u not get the 12000 ?

thats great thanks - and yes i have lots of emails from him where he shows his dishonesty - for example a few months ago he admitted he owed 2500 and offered 1000 late payment fee (fyi his estimation of what he owes and ours is not the same) but then he came back and only paid 1500 in total.. whats the story with emails in court - how do they stand. and for reference this individual is no where near insolvent - i knwo he has apartments he rents in france and lituania and is director for another company in dublin also

question - why could u not get the 12000 ?

It was a students union and the solicitor advised that in his experience its impossible to enforce contracts against them if they choose to default on them. Just as well I had a clause in the contract stipulating payment up front! The money I eventually got out of them was a "cancellation fee" their words...

Emails would be admissable as they form a part of a contract under some law from 2000 I think. Look up the electronic communications act.

boomer_ie wrote: »
    It was a students union and the solicitor advised that in his experience its impossible to enforce contracts against them if they choose to default on them. Just as well I had a clause in the contract stipulating payment up front! The money I eventually got out of them was a "cancellation fee" their words...

Emails would be admissable as they form a part of a contract under some law from 2000 I think. Look up the electronic communications act.

great ill check that

think the revenue would let me know if he is still trading (as i have his vat number) considering cros replies above ?

• Advertisement

great ill check that

think the revenue would let me know if he is still trading (as i have his vat number) considering cros replies above ?

I very much doubt it as it would be coming under the Data Protection Act so I would assume they are not allowed to give you this information (I know they ask me to verify details when confirming etc info about my own company.

Advertisement