Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart - Free broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Not really
    All for just €35.36 pr month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You're paying for the line rental and a bundled call package, broadband is free on top of this. Good price, if you can get it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

jor el wrote: »
    You're paying for the line rental and a bundled call package, broadband is free on top of this. Good price, if you can get it.

Agreed, I'd get it only for I'm moving in the next 6 months and it'll be to a area with no Cable or LLU services :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Just checked my number again and it's available to me now. Very tempted to go for this, but will have to get rid of BT first, could be a bit of a nightmare :(

7M down costs 15 a month extra too, that would still make it less than what I'm paying now for 3M. Need to consult house mates to see if a month or so without broadband would effect them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You pay €35.36 for 3m BB, line rental and unlimited local and national calls.

As a comparison the same from BT costs €66.95
    and Eircom don't have 3m bundle available, the 2m bundle costs €60.99

And you can upgrade to 7m with Smart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

I'm not interested in the talk-time part of the package at all, as in I have a land line and phone number but will not be using it for a phone service. However, does anyone know if this offer is still better than all the broadband only services out there? I've just moved house and have looked at past threads here, etc but this €36 a month package seems good, even if I would be paying for the phone service only. Any help appreciated!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Their including the talk-time package because at the end of the day thats where telco's are making there money these days, :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    I'm not interested in the talk-time part of the package at all, as in I have a land line and phone number but will not be using it for a phone service. However, does anyone know if this offer is still better than all the broadband only services out there? I've just moved house and have looked at past threads here, etc but this €36 a month package seems good, even if I would be paying for the phone service only. Any help appreciated!

Even if you don't use the included calls, it is still the cheapest package available for the speed offered.

bk wrote: »
    Even if you don't use the included calls, it is still the cheapest package available for the speed offered.

ya, i've looked around at other providers and it does seem like a bit a no-brainer! will give them a buzz, hopefully it won't take an age to get hooked up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

its free but 12months free when you sign up for 24months 3months free when you take a year long contract and 6months free with a 18month contract!

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    its free but 12months free when you sign up for 24months 3months free when you take a year long contract and 6months free with a 18month contract!

Still works out cheaper than any other provider unless I've not done my homework well. For the speed (€5 extra for 5mb) and for the fact that it's unlimited download/upload, it seems relatively good value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Profit margins on this must be razor thin :eek: if they are even making profit on it. I would think this product is a reaction to the heavy advertising Eircom have been doing lately of their 15 Euro for broadband inside a bundle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

bk wrote: »
    I'm looking at this as well.

Regular Smart BB package
    Line Rental €25.36*
    BB €15
    24 months €968.64
    On the free offer it looks like you need to to sign a contact for 24 months to get the 12 months free (see below)
    So the first 12 months will cost you €35.36 x 12 = €424.32
    Assuming (this is my assumption I can't see this on the Smart website anywhere) you have to pay for the €15 BB package extra for the remaining 12 months you be paying €604.32 in the second 12 months.
    So that will give you a 24 total of €1028.64

So it'd be marginally cheaper (€60) go with the regular smart bb package if you are really not going to use the phone. And you are not stuck in a 24 month contract which is handy if you think you might move.

At least that is my reading of it - it's not very clear.

All that said it does look like the best available.
    “Initial Minimum Period”, means one of the following:
    �� the first 24 months of the Services beginning before the 31/12/2007– with 12 months Free Broadband
    �� the first 18 months of the Services beginning before the 31/12/2007– with 6 months Free Broadband
    �� the first 12 months of the Services beginning before the 31/12/2007– with 3 months Free Broadband

* I'm assuming the line rental quoted on the smart regular bb page is out of date

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Does anyone know if smart have any expansion/rollout plans? I desperately want to get rid of eircom and get some proper broadband (im in the Dunshaughlin exchange btw).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Actually look what I just found,:
    http://www.duncc.ie/MSSchooloftheFuture/tabid/14120/Default.aspx
    The end of the article mentions smart broadband is coming to dunshaughlin soon but i havn't heard anything of the sort, it better be true!

PaschalNee wrote: »
    I'm looking at this as well.

Regular Smart BB package
    Line Rental €25.36*
    BB €15
    24 months €968.64
    On the free offer it looks like you need to to sign a contact for 24 months to get the 12 months free (see below)
    Assuming (this is my assumption I can't see this on the Smart website anywhere) you have to pay for the €15 BB package extra for the remaining 12 months you be paying €604.32 in the second 12 months.

So it'd be marginally cheaper (€60) go with the regular smart bb package if you are really not going to use the phone. And you are not stuck in a 24 month contract which is handy if you think you might move.

At least that is my reading of it - it's not very clear.

All that said it does look like the best available.

* I'm assuming the line rental quoted on the smart regular bb page is out of date

The girl I was talking to said I could go with the 12 month package and free 3mnths broadband but having looked at the broadband only package, it does actually work out a bit cheaper. The 'free' broadband bundle will cost €615 a year while, the 5mb broadband only pack is about €530 per year (44.18 per month)...defo the 'cheapest' I can find out there! cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

PaschalNee wrote: »

Your assumption is correct, after the initial period you have to add the 15 euro broadband package on while keeping the 10 euro voice call bundel., I contacted smart customer service and that was what they told me.

It is a pity they don't include it on their web site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Your assumption is correct, after the initial period you have to add the 15 euro broadband package on while keeping the 10 euro voice call bundel., I contacted smart customer service and that was what they told me.

It is a pity they don't include it on their web site.

It is a contract for line rental, call package and broadband. Broadband is free for one year, you pay the full charge for the second year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭peteballagh

Anyone know if Smart broadband is available in the Ballaghaderreen region (Co. Roscommon)?

Can't see anything on their website.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Anyone know if Smart broadband is available in the Ballaghaderreen region (Co. Roscommon)?

Can't see anything on their website.

I doubt it but put your number in here. This will tell you if you are on a smart enabled exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Anyone know
    Smart will know - online checker or emailing/calling them seems like the easiest way to get an answer as to whether they have plans for your area.

Advertisement