Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rice Bridge mayhem this morning

• 19-11-2007 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone get caught up in this? A truck carrying concrete (prefab sections I presume) shed its load on the outbound side. The driver was arrested and released without charge apparently.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone get caught up in this? A truck carrying concrete (prefab sections I presume) shed its load on the outbound side. The driver was arrested and released without charge apparently.

Mike.

Yep.. it wasnt cleared fully (or at least the Gardaí didnt leave) until half 12. It seemed that the trailer slipped off the mount on the truck. Surely that should have been well pinned in?

I knew it was a biggie when I saw a superintendent on the bridge in his illuminous gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Trotter wrote: »
    ...illuminous gear.

LOL :D

I got away scot free today. Normally I'd have been caught up in it, but I started work in KK at 6 in the morning. By the time I got home, it was 2.30 and I'd just missed it all... Yeah baby! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

oh for that second river crossing !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭JayoCluxton

Seems a bit ridiculous to have a Rice Bridge in the first place. I have often spilled rice on the kitchen floor and it can be very slippy so I can only imagine the problems that motorists and truck drivers have. Perhaps the Council could consider a second bridge and maybe try concrete or tarmac this time?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Seems a bit ridiculous to have a Rice Bridge in the first place. I have often spilled rice on the kitchen floor and it can be very slippy so I can only imagine the problems that motorists and truck drivers have. Perhaps the Council could consider a second bridge and maybe try concrete or tarmac this time?

Work in progress. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

A guy I work with came into the office at 11.45!! 4 hours after leaving home!! Normally takes him an hour to get to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I got in before it. About what time did this happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I heard it mentioned first at 8.30 so proberly 8 ish.

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Was mentioned on beat before 7.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

Was this today? I was comin over the bridge about 8.40 and didn't see anything so must have been after then anyway. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

it was thee at 8:25 when I crossed it, had traffic backed all the way to the Tower Hotel, luckily the inside lane was clear so I took a left up by City Square Car Park then onto patrick street on up through Gracedieu (as the glen was chaos too) and had to come down by Bilberry and only delayed by about 5 mins compared to normal

Maharet wrote: »
    Was this today? I was comin over the bridge about 8.40 and didn't see anything so must have been after then anyway. :)

I guess you must have been in another world as you were coming over the bridge so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

oh for that second river crossing !

dont bother building the second bridge, we should close the bridge we have. nothing worse than seeing all the KK,s coming over the bridge at 8:00 and heading home at 5:00 the only thing they leave in waterford is the muck that falls of their cars (souped up ford fiestas with a spoiler and for sale signs plastered to the windows)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

SUNGOD wrote: »
    dont bother building the second bridge, we should close the bridge we have. nothing worse than seeing all the KK,s coming over the bridge at 8:00 and heading home at 5:00 the only thing they leave in waterford is the muck that falls of their cars (souped up ford fiestas with a spoiler and for sale signs plastered to the windows)

That's a little harsh don't you think?

But if you close the bridge to keep out the KKs, then you'll end up keeping out all the TSs and WXs too! In fairness now, I like the Wexicans, they're good craic.

I only heard today what company was involved in this incident and they are getting something of a reputation for not caring about safety. And if any of their foreign drivers complain about a load or want to take the time to do proper checks, they are told they can either drive or leave.

The one and only Nolan Transport. The same company whom were involved with the "Runaway truck" incident out in Honeywell earlier this year.

I'll have you know, there are parts of Waterford City across the bridge also smart arse.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

hmm not sure thats such a great idea, if you stop wexford and kilkenny people coming into waterford how are all the businesses going to open that they own? :cool:

As for other people working in Waterford, at the end of the day if an employer is looking for somebody for a job and the best person happens to be a Wexford or Kilkenny person then so be it,

Might force people in Waterford to get more experience in the job they want and not take things for granted, just because there from Waterford and the job is in Waterford doesn't mean that they should get it :D

I'm sure the businesses wouldn't like to lose the customers from across the bridge either.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    hmm not sure thats such a great idea, if you stop wexford and kilkenny people coming into waterford how are all the businesses going to open that they own? :cool:

As for other people working in Waterford, at the end of the day if an employer is looking for somebody for a job and the best person happens to be a Wexford or Kilkenny person then so be it,

Might force people in Waterford to get more experience in the job they want and not take things for granted, just because there from Waterford and the job is in Waterford doesn't mean that they should get it :D

In fairness Cabaal, you're giving him too much attention for that silly comment :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Indeed.

Seriously, if your going to post be on-topic and constructive. Smart arse comments against KK people is as old as the hills and frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I'll have you know, there are parts of Waterford City across the bridge also smart arse.

now dont even get me started on ferry(we're not waterford or killkenny we're ferrybank and proud)bank. a race of people with a principality complex

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

fricatus wrote: »
    In fairness Cabaal, you're giving him too much attention for that silly comment :D

I know, we shouldn't feed the trolls but I was bored :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

I guess you must have been in another world as you were coming over the bridge so.

Well that's probably true, just about awake enough to do the drive in, but there was no traffic backed up when I was going over. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The one and only Nolan Transport. The same company whom were involved with the "Runaway truck" incident out in Honeywell earlier this year.

Wasn't one of their trucks involved in the fatal collision on the N9 near T-Town in the summer where Vanessa McGarry was killed also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

The driver was charged, I didn't here what for.

Roll on the second bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Speaking of runaway trucks, remember the artic wood carrier whose brakes failed going down the Rockshire Road some years back? The driver had to ram the vehicle into some cars on the left side to bring it to a halt.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Why are heavy goods vechiles allowed to use this road as a 'short cut' to and from the Dublin Rd.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Speaking of runaway trucks, remember the artic wood carrier whose brakes failed going down the Rockshire Road some years back? The driver had to ram the vehicle into some cars on the left side to bring it to a halt.

Mike.

I remember that... the N9 over the railway was closed for ages and Rockshire was used as a diversion route. That guy was feted as a hero because after his brakes failed, he changed down through the gears to take off some of the speed and then buried his truck in some parked cars instead of going through the lights onto a busy dualler. Loads of material damage, but not a scratch on any actual people, IIRC.

trishw78 wrote: »
    Why are heavy goods vechiles allowed to use this road as a 'short cut' to and from the Dublin Rd.

Well in this case, it was the actual diversion route, but it's a good point - there's no restriction in place, and Rockshire is very steep - too much so to allow it to be used as a shortcut.

Advertisement