Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban Commuter Article

Options
2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

At present, the mandatory nature of the regulations concerning cycle lane usage (see no.4 above) serve as an attempt to keep cyclists out of the way of motorists. This is completely the opposite of what needs to be the case:
    Although fully in keeping with the original intent of cycle paths (see http://www.geocities.com/galwaycyclist/news6.html for some interest links)
    Also, no matter how much you invest in expensive rain gear and such, there’s still no real solution to the problem of the Irish climate. It’s an ongoing issue, no matter what people say.
    Na, just remember the cycling is a water sport, and take the same measures to stay dry as would when going for a swim....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Truth.
    rp wrote: »
    Na, just remember the cycling is a water sport, and take the same measures to stay dry as would when going for a swim....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

What union is this for?
    IMPACT Trade Union (unionman said this in a follow-up PM.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

daymobrew wrote: »
    IMPACT Trade Union (unionman said this in a follow-up PM.
    A good article on that site:
    http://www.impact.ie/iopen24/pub/defaultarticle.php?cArticlePath=466_468
    - just not one the Irish public would be interested in reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

1. How long have you been cycling to work?
    6 months now. Used to cycle everywhere until I got to college.

2. How far do you travel daily?
    Around 24km

3. What other travel options are open to you?
    Bus, or drive to my girlfriend's and walk (40 mins)

4. What are the greatest hazards you encounter regularly?
    Drivers turning left, drivers pulling out from the side, pedestrians crossing the road and other cyclists breaking lights.

5. What improvements do you think are necessary to make commuting by bike more attractive?
    Segregated cycle lanes. Path - Cycle Lane - Car Parking - Road

6. What's the best thing about cycling?
    Freedom - I decide what time I arrive & leave. Exercise.

7. What's the worst?
    The wind. I can deal with the rain, it's the wind that kills me - putting in all your effort just to keep above 10mph.

8. What kind of future do you think cycling has in the city?
    Without a politician or councillor who makes it a focus, it's going to hobble along in the same crap state. Despite the council's attempts to make the city car-unfriendly, the council still view cyclists as a pest and therefore other road users do too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

unionman wrote: »
    Calling all commuter cyclists!

I'm putting together an article about commuting by bike for a trade union publication. What I am hoping to do is pose a few questions about the experience of cycling in the city, as a commuter, to people doing it on a regular basis.

I also hope to include an interview with a spokesperson from Dublin City Council on their targets for commuter cyclists, and steps they are taking to promote it.

It won't be entirely Dublin focussed however, I'd like to speak to cyclists commuting in Cork, Galway, Limerick too if possible.

The kind of things I want to cover are;
    1. How long have you been cycling to work?
    2. How far do you travel daily (round trip)?
    3. What other travel options are open to you?
    4. What are the greatest hazards you encounter regularly?
    5. What improvements do you think are necessary to make commuting by bike more attractive?
    6. What's the best thing about cycling?
    7. What's the worst?
    8. What kind of future do you think cycling has in the city?

If possible, I'd like to organise to meet some of the contributors later this week for a photo opportunity to accompany the article.

If you are happy to participate, leave your answers on this thread, and please let me know what part of the country you are in. For your comments to be included in the article, I'll need to get your real name, which you can send to me by PM.

Also, If you can spare a half hour for a photo opportunity in the city centre later in the week, please let me know by PM.

If you have any questions about the article or the publication, do get in touch.

Cheers
    unionman

How long have you been cycling to work?

9 years - unable to do so prior to this period

[*]How far do you travel daily (round trip)?

10 miles round trip

[*]What other travel options are open to you?

Car & walk, bus if i am prepared to arrive to work really early or late.

[*]What are the greatest hazards you encounter regularly?

0.5 - 1% of car drivers will do something stupid. Try to pass you and turn left as go go straight on and do have 'right of way'. Try to join a main road as you approach as behave as if you do not exist. I call this the blank stare syndrome. Pretend they do not see me, therefore I do not exist. This is evidenced by the fact that I interact with at least 100 drivers everyday. As the Tayto add says, 'there is always one (fool)'

[*]What improvements do you think are necessary to make commuting by bike more attractive?

Increase Driver and cyclist awareness. This bicycle forum clearly demonstates the experience or lack of it in cyclists. I have always tried to give accurate positive advice and benefit of my experience. Cycling is something for all ages, not just the lean & mean boys on racing bikes. The philosphy in cycling should be 'reach you goal and enjoy it as you do' not 'I must compete mentally and physically with everyone else'.

[*]What's the best thing about cycling?

I enjoy the freedom, the personal achievement of cycling regularly and serious health benefits. And I am a seriously good car driver from the 'risk analysis' thinking that I use from my cycling.

[*]What's the worst?

The rain - the most soul destroying time on a bike is when you get wet and are tired. It is what puts most people off because they do not dress for the conditions. Even when i do I still hate the rain.

[*]What kind of future do you think cycling has in the city?

City cycling has an excellent future. People are going to find it extremely expensive to constantly drive by car. As public transport services are still poor, there are no orbital style routes are available in cork, people with short commute distances will use a bike. Problems begin when it rains and everyone turns to the comfort of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭gimmeaminute

roadmanmad wrote: »
    The philosphy in cycling should be 'reach you goal and enjoy it as you do' not 'I must compete mentally and physically with everyone else'.

If I'm going to enjoy myself, I need to compete mentally and physically with everyone else.

Maybe that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

1. About six months now, since I've moved to a place I can cycle easily to work from.
    2. 5km
    3. When I'm not cycling I walk. Hardly ever take the bus and don't drive at all.
    4. Motorists speeding up to pass you so they can turn left in front of you - when you're going straight. I'm convinced this is how I'm going to die. Also, cars that are either parked in cycle lanes or are driving in cycle lanes.
    5. The key thing is that the guards need to start enforcing the laws that protect cyclists and to get cars out of cycle lanes. But we also need more, better-designed and better-maintained cycle lanes.
    6. Being able to get around quickly without having to wait for buses or get stuck in traffic.
    7. The danger. Also, the hostility you encounter from motorists. Some of them actually seem threatened by the existence of cyclists, even when we're not doing anything inappropriate.
    8. Nothing is going to change unless both the city and the guards make a conscious effort to turn this into a cycle-friendly city. I don't have a lot of optimism about that.

Advertisement