Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun range in New York or Boston

Options
  • 19-11-2007 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭

Hi,

A few of us are planning a holiday early next year in NY and moving onto Boston. Does anyone know of a range they would recommend where we could go in and try shooting a couple of guns? Preferably in NY or Boston - though there is a possibility that we will drive between the two so one on route either.

We've no experience with guns whatsoever so can anyone let me know what we could expect to fire and how much it would cost?

Cheers!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I don't like your chances in either New York (city) or Boston, to be honest, they're both very restrictive on civilian firearms.

Have a look through here, there are plenty of places outside the cities-
    http://www.wheretoshoot.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Found this from your link
    http://www.westsidepistolrange.com/

Seems you can shoot a .22 in NY without a permit for $50 plus tax, seems to be an okay deal. Going to drop them a line.

Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

bigfeller wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Found this from your link
    http://www.westsidepistolrange.com/

Seems you can shoot a .22 in NY without a permit for $50 plus tax, seems to be an okay deal. Going to drop them a line.

Cheers!!

eh? Long way to go to shoot a .22!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭2347

I think you can do that at Hilltop Quad & Sporting Club http://www.pcquad.com/

Here is what they say on the website

"Pistol Shooting is available for "MEMBERS ONLY" - Non-Member use of the range is subject to availability and range officer approval"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Pat will not take "walk-ins" to shoot pistol - what you could do is to call him and ask about it but he will probably want you to book in for some other stuff like Clays or Rifle with the "potential" for Pistol based on your behaviour on the other ranges and the reports of the ROs on those ranges.

The timing will have to suit him rather than you aswell as he would need to have enough Range Officers present - usual requirement being one per firearm - especially for novices - (If he has not seen you shoot before you are a novice)

I would not get my hopes up as it generally requires a reference from a member and required a lot of people to be available for it to happen.

It would be a big help if he knew you or knew of you. "Me mate Anto said it'd be great craic" is not a reference.

I have brought a group of people there before with the "potential" for pistol - I had pre-arranged for loadsa ROs to be there that day - pistol was not allowed for any of them due to the behaviour of one of the group on the Clay Range - simply would not listen to what the RO was telling him - kept looking over his shoulder to waffle after the first shot with the second shot still chambered. Might not sound like much but YOU MUST DO WHAT YOU ARE TOLD AT ALL TIMES ON A RANGE. I agreed 100%.

I seriously doubt if the day will ever arise where it is available to Tom, Dick or Harriet to walk in and "Have go".

B'Man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Google Boston gun range.

You can simply walk in, you need your passport however.

I was there 3 times over the last 2 summers. Cannot recommend it highly enough. You can basically shoot any handgun you can think of including a luger, automatics excluded of course. There are UZI's M-16's and other assault rifles too on semi-auto you can shoot. I shot a Beretta P90 the last time, and a glock the time before that. The guy running it is sound, once you don't turn up messing etc. The guy ensures you know the safety procedures and that you are ok on how to use the firearm. There certainly is not an overkill of safety lectures before you get to shoot. There is always an employee on the range with you so you can ask any questions. They give great tips on how to improve your aim.

The place is based about an hour from Boston, so you'll need to hire a car to get there. You can use mapquest to give you directions, its not that far off the I-90 if I remember. Any other info you need ask on the thread. I'd recommend calling ahead too the day/morning before if there is a group of ye. Also, if ye hire several different firearms ye can all have a go off several firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

send me on the dates, if im back on the east coast ill take ye out with the arsenal to the local range in PA (about 90 mins from NYC)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

Google search for shooting ranges in NYC

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=shooting+range+new+york&meta=

Google search for shooting range Boston

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=shooting+range+boston&meta=

Hope this helps

Heres the place I was on about:

http://www.bostongunrange.com/

If anyone is thinking of going there I'd recommend it highly. The guy behind the counter is very helpful. If you explain you've never shot a handgun before, or you'd like something with the kick of a mule, he'll gladly help you. :) I was surprised this place is open actually, Mass has very strict gun laws.(In comparison to other US states I mean!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Thanks for the help lads, I've sent a mail to a few of the places. Will let you know how I get on in Feb!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

I was at the Boston Range about 5 years ago as well. Must say I found the staff I was dealing with a bit curt, mabey he was having a bad hair day. Anyway, I shot a beretta 9 mil handgun, an AK47, M16 colt commando, and the highlight for me was the M1 Garand. The ping of the empty clip ejecting is poetry in motion....
    I would recommend as well, bty, a train will take you straight from Boston Central to within 5 mins of the Range!

dbar wrote: »
    I was at the Boston Range about 5 years ago as well. Must say I found the staff I was dealing with a bit curt, mabey he was having a bad hair day. Anyway, I shot a beretta 9 mil handgun, an AK47, M16 colt commando, and the highlight for me was the M1 Garand. The ping of the empty clip ejecting is poetry in motion....
    I would recommend as well, bty, a train will take you straight from Boston Central to within 5 mins of the Range!

Suppose it depends on who you deal with there. I kind of got to know the owner, but he certainly won't take any crap or messing from a bunch of lads, righly so in a range. You are there to have fun, no doubt, he realises this. He is an ex-marine so perhaps this may explain the curt attitude?

I did'nt realise he had an M1! Class, I'll look into that if I ever go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

just reading this lads im a big shooter in ireland and im going to boston for paddys week so will defo be going boston gun range

thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Any memories of the prices?????Cant find a price list on the Boston Gun Range site..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

I was on my own to shoot, not to mess. I was dealing with what was defo an employee. The M16 kept jamming, and with every jam he had to come over to clear it. After a while he got annoyed and started blaming me. I said something like "I am doing what I was told to do" to which he couldnt say much, and gave me a speel about the cost of the rifle, which was nothing to do with the price of fish. Anyway, I just moved on to the 47. At least it didnt jam. I would still recommend though.

Any memories of the prices?????Cant find a price list on the Boston Gun Range site..

Each time I went with a group it worked out about $80 each, some guns cost more to rent then others but splitting the bill among everyone makes it easier, as each person shot each others guns for a while. If you need more ammo it'll work out slightly more. 80-90 bucks should give you a good idea anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

is that 80-90 dollars per gun?

is that 80-90 dollars per gun?

Yes.:D You could rent 1 gun between 2, but you are also paying for a half hour range time. You are nearly better off spending the 80 dollars on your own gun, then swopping over, as if you share 1 gun it may take more then your allocated half hour range time and you'll be charged more.

80 dollars for the experience was well worth it for me, the price of a meal and night out in Boston really. Also, some guns will only be $70, assault rifles will be more. 80-90 dollars was the average price when split among the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

astraboy wrote: »
    Yes.:D You could rent 1 gun between 2, but you are also paying for a half hour range time. You are nearly better off spending the 80 dollars on your own gun, then swopping over, as if you share 1 gun it may take more then your allocated half hour range time and you'll be charged more.

80 dollars for the experience was well worth it for me, the price of a meal and night out in Boston really. Also, some guns will only be $70, assault rifles will be more. 80-90 dollars was the average price when split among the group.

$70/$80 for one pistol? How much ammo do you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I just got back last week from a 4 week stint in the States. I spent 8 days in NY and never found a suitable walk in range. all the places i tried were not interested.

But the i was in Nevada 2 weeks prior to that and i found a excellent spot just outside Vegas(ya can't spend all yer time gambling), called "The Las vegas shooting certer". They have a firearm to suit every possible fancy you could have.

I even got to shoot a Barrett lite .50, all i can say about that is that it was awsome:D:D:D:D. It cost $11.50 per round but was worth every cent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement