Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2 adding 10GB data add-on for Christmas??

• 19-11-2007 12:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭

Im wondering are O2 going to give us 10GB data add-on for Christmas ???

On the O2 website, if you goto Price plans, Pay Monthly, and click add-ons

In the T&Cs part, it says:-

Broadband Data Add on

* The Broadband Add on is available to existing O2 Pay Monthly (voice) customers using a compatible HSDPA enabled handset. The Broadband Add on cannot be combined with Blackberry, O2 Broadband and/or telemetry price plans or Blackberry and push email services.
    * All charges include VAT at 21%
    * No minimum term required. Subject to all other O2 Broadband terms & conditions
    * Only one Broadband Add on per O2 number and existing data Add ons need to be removed before Broadband Add on is activated.
    * There is a 10GB data limit per month and this applies to data usage on the O2 Ireland network only. Any data usage in excess of the 10GB data limit is subject to a Fair Usage Policy. Data usage while roaming is charged separately.
    * Charges apply for data usage while roaming internationally including usage when roaming in the UK and Northern Ireland.
    * Service is subject to network coverage and availability

Sounds like a 10GB add on !!! pity they dont have a price

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

eh surely this is just explaining the terms and conditions for anyone availing of their data modem?? you can also use any hsdpa enabled handset to replace their data modem but it is still the same price and contract as before?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

The point I was trying to make is that it seemed that O2 were allowing you to get broadband as an add-on to your existing call-plan, Proper Mobile Internet.
    As apposed to now where if you want to use your phone as a broadband modem (or not get screwed for data charges !!) you have to sign up for their DC-Flat add-on (2GB for 48 per month)

Currently if you want to have the 10GB data allowance on your phone,you have to change your Overall call-plan to be the broadband one, and pay for calls/texts at 25 c per minute or whatever is specified on the O2 page.
    O2 only allow one call-plan to a phone number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

far as i know you still have to sign up to their data modem package and recieve the data modem but you can pay for it as an addition to your existing phone contract!

but if you have one month left on your phone contract adding the data modem charge will extend it to 12 months again so it is not a good idea if your thinking of switching phone provider!

In the T&C's which was on their website, it was like any other add-on you can get/cancel it whenever you want.
    * No minimum term required. Subject to all other O2 Broadband terms & conditions

Will just have to wait and see what O2 do really, as the add-on is gone off their website.

Just got Broadband as an add-on for 30e per month !!
    So you can pay
    20e for 25MB of data on O2
    or
    Pay 30e for 10GB
    Crazy stuff !!

Glad Im paying 30e for 10GB as apposed to 48e for 2GB, at last O2 are catching onto the idea of "Mobile Internet"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sheepshagger

billbond4 wrote: »
    Just got Broadband as an add-on for 30e per month !!
    So you can pay
    20e for 25MB of data on O2
    or
    Pay 30e for 10GB
    Crazy stuff !!

Glad Im paying 30e for 10GB as apposed to 48e for 2GB, at last O2 are catching onto the idea of "Mobile Internet"

I've got a Nokia E61 and am on bill pay with 02. . I take it I can take advantage of the 10GB deal. . . Billbond, how did you sign up for it (over the phone or instore?)

BTW - roughly how much is 10GB (in terms of average pages. . say for example pages from RTE/BBC?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

No sign of this anywhere on their website....is this a Vapour Add-on?

I rang up and asked about it, lad said he was just after reading internal mail about the new addon. So he signed me up there and then. It was on website again earlier today. But it did vanish again later on.
    10gb is about 10,000,000,00 web pages on your phone. I could be out by one or two 0s. You will never get close to using this if you only wap on your phone

I rang up and asked about it, lad said he was just after reading internal mail about the new addon. So he signed me up there and then. It was on website again earlier today. But it did vanish again later on.
    10gb is about 10,000,000,00 web pages on your phone. I could be out by one or two 0s. You will never get close to using this if you only wap on your phone

Then this is very, very cool. I'd love to get this and ditch my 3 but wonder will it work FOC in the north? For example, the T&Cs for calls state that MO-calls made in the north will not come out of your bundle but CC refute this categorically for Active Life plans and insist that they do.

The one thing that keeps me believing in 3's formerly magical 19,99 bargain is the fact that it (sort of) works all over this country, the UK, Italy where I oft times go and Austria where I'm going in January. Hard to beat.

I think that calls you make in the north do come out of your bundle,if you sign up for all ireland addon or something.
    Data definately will be charged extra when your outside rep. At a high price

• Advertisement

According to site info All Ireland add-on entitles you to free MT calls while in the north (though mine haven't since February causing erroneous bills into the thousands of €, but that's another issue) but MO calls to Irish mobiles and/or landlines will be charged as though within the Republic but will not come out of your minutes.

T&Cs for Active Life state exactly the same scenario; however CC insist that calls made on an Active Life plan do come out of your minutes when roaming in the north on O2 UK and calling irish landlines and/or mobiles.

Tchoh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Does anyone know of any forthcoming preapy data addons with o2? Their 2c per KB is outrageous.

I would be inclined to believe CC, anyway when your up in the north you should be able to check your account online and see if your being charged.
    I have a feeling it only includes calls, texts will be still be international ?

The only thing about that is you would want to be careful that your only on the O2-UK network up in the north.

rc28 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any forthcoming preapy data addons with o2? Their 2c per KB is outrageous.

In fairness they only charge 1c per KB :)
    I would guess that they may bring out new data price plans, to coincide with the new O2 Active being launched soon.

Its weird that the 10GB for 30e is gone off their website (again).
    I checked my account this morning and I havent gotten charged for the data I used yesterday so the add-on is definitely active on my account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

billbond, can I ask what you use it for? I'm trying to decide if I should hold on for this. The unpredictable nature of Three's add-on Internet is putting me off switching over right now (that and no decent QWERTY phones). I'll need to be able to use the phone as a modem and access SSH (on varying ports, not all 22), so a walled garden / HTTP proxy only type thing is no good for me. Any chance you've used data for anything like that? Cheers.

EDIt: Shagger, mobile-friendly pages tend to be under 10KB, but over 1KB. Ordinary pages (and your E61 browser will make a decent job of displaying ordinary pages that look like they do on your PC) can be anything from 10K to 200+KB, depending on images and videos (the real killer). So to use up 10GB by browsing alone would be quite a feat. Even regular usage for business & personal combined of both browsing and email wouldn't come close to 10GB. If you're looking to replace your NTL BB and use this to download TV shows, and the like, then 10GB will quickly be used up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

In fairness they only charge 1c per KB :)
    Sorry, mixed up with vodafone.
    I hope you don't think that's reasonable because have you ever actually used your phone to use the real internet rather then the crap, cut down version many networks have (like myspace mobile and mobile youtube-how the hell can they get away with calling this the "internet"??)
    It's particularly annoying for me becasue the safari browser on my iphone doesn't resize the page, nor is there an option to disable the loading of images which means i can get charged 1euro per page or more!

I would be inclined to believe CC, anyway when your up in the north you should be able to check your account online and see if your being charged.
    I have a feeling it only includes calls, texts will be still be international ?

The only thing about that is you would want to be careful that your only on the O2-UK network up in the north.

Yes, the bundle never includes SMS-MO.

I never make MO calls when in the north for that very reason but now they are insisting that your minutes will be deducted from any Active Life plan, which would change things dramatically. I am currently on a legacy tariff.

My phones are always set to manual, I am constantly on O2-UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Iamhere

Hi All,

If ur on an o2 life plan and ask them to added the uk features to ur account and are manually on o2 uk in NI or UK mainland then, no charge for incoming calls, calls to ROI or UK nos will come out of ur minutes or if you have none left a flat rate of 25 cent p/m, ive it setup on my account, doesnt cover sms tho

Iamhere wrote: »
    Hi All,

If ur on an o2 life plan and ask them to added the uk features to ur account and are manually on o2 uk in NI or UK mainland then, no charge for incoming calls, calls to ROI or UK nos will come out of ur minutes or if you have none left a flat rate of 25 cent p/m, ive it setup on my account, doesnt cover sms tho

So they tell me, but that is not what it says on their website where it clearly states that MO-calls are chargeable and do NOT come out of your minutes. Nor does it say anything about UK calls. It would seem that this is wrong based on what you and CC say and for that reason, and to bring this back on topic, I'm hoping that any broadband add-ons might work in the north too without roaming charges.

The UK roaming calls are an opt in which isnt promoted i was in the UK last week and it worked fine, as for the data addon normal roaming charges will apply

• Advertisement

Iamhere wrote: »
    , as for the data addon normal roaming charges will apply

At the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

culabula wrote: »
    At the moment.

Something we don't know about ?

cgarvey wrote: »
    EDIt: Shagger, mobile-friendly pages tend to be under 10KB, but over 1KB. Ordinary pages (and your E61 browser will make a decent job of displaying ordinary pages that look like they do on your PC) can be anything from 10K to 200+KB, depending on images and videos (the real killer). So to use up 10GB by browsing alone would be quite a feat. Even regular usage for business & personal combined of both browsing and email wouldn't come close to 10GB. If you're looking to replace your NTL BB and use this to download TV shows, and the like, then 10GB will quickly be used up.

Thanks for that, wasnt quite sure when someone above posted 'if you use it for WAP'?

Wouldnt be using the E61 to replace my existing NTL BB at home. . would just like to be able to surf whilst commuting and know that I'm not going to get a whopper of a bill at the end of the month.

Typically Id read sites like rte and BBC (set on the pda version so theres less graphics). . I've also heard if you add some 'Opera?' software to the phone that can speed things up a bit too.

I've been waiting for 02 to bring out something like this for ages - might give CC a call to get it added on. . .hopefully they know what I'm on about!

ciaranfo wrote: »
    Something we don't know about ?

No: my point is that the online info regarding using bundle minutes outside the jurisdiction and especially in the north appears to be wrong. O2.ie says you can't, CC and users say you can. I'm hoping that if they introduce something as radical as a BB add-on as alluded to on this thread that they might re-think their data roaming policy, especially in the north using O2 UK.

If they don't, then 3 remain unbeatable in this domain.

Just called CC and they know nothing about this new add on :(

Ring them again, make them speak to a supervisor if needed it is available

I just checked my O2 account online, and im not getting charged for data
    Category Date-Time Dest Called Number Duration/Volume Type Cost
    Data 23/11/07 09:09 1.97 MB Data 0.00

I had the DC_Flat (2GB) thats still showing up when I look at my account, but the amount I have left hasnt changed, since I switched to the broadband add-on.

I just checked my O2 account online, and im not getting charged for data
    Category Date-Time Dest Called Number Duration/Volume Type Cost
    Data 23/11/07 09:09 1.97 MB Data 0.00

I had the DC_Flat (2GB) thats still showing up when I look at my account, but the amount I have left hasnt changed, since I switched to the broadband add-on.

Can this add-on be applied and removed on a monthly basis?

Use of handset as a modem is approved I take it, given the size of data allocation?

So it seems that you can add it or drop it as often as you like (same as any other add-on) Obviously CC would have to confirm.
    It says you should have a HSDPA compatible handset, but that will just give you faster speeds.

• Advertisement

So it seems that you can add it or drop it as often as you like (same as any other add-on) Obviously CC would have to confirm.
    It says you should have a HSDPA compatible handset, but that will just give you faster speeds.

Bring it on, then :-)
    Wish they'd make this official on the website.

Advertisement