Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2 adding 10GB data add-on for Christmas??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Three didn't want my money (I've no idea why, half of India don't know why), so I followed this up. Spoke with a friendly and helpful xxxx (as are most O2 reps, I've found), and he went off to check, and sure enough I've 10GB for 30e Add on on my account. It's just been launched, so it'll take time to filter through the various channels, I suppose. So if your rep hasn't heard, explain that it's brand new and might he/she ask the data team or something. Not the best deal, but handy to have BB and voice on the one SIM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

I have a simple suggestion - ask to get put through to data support, you may have a bit of a que but they're polite and very professional. Its worth the wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

neilled wrote: »
    I have a simple suggestion - ask to get put through to data support, you may have a bit of a que but they're polite and very professional. Its worth the wait.

you can call direct to them on 1850 601 740 i believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

This is true CV.

Also for the guy trying to check data usage .. under My Account you'll see Broadband in the same list as View my Bills. It gives you your total usage.

cgarvey wrote: »
    Three didn't want my money (I've no idea why, half of India don't know why), so I followed this up. Spoke with a friendly and helpful Tadgh (as are most O2 reps, I've found), and he went off to check, and sure enough I've 10GB for 30e Add on on my account. It's just been launched, so it'll take time to filter through the various channels, I suppose. So if your rep hasn't heard, explain that it's brand new and might he/she ask the data team or something. Not the best deal, but handy to have BB and voice on the one SIM.
    So you have an Active Life plan and the Broadband 10GB addon on the same account for €30 per month ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

No, the addon itself is 30 quid (incl VAT) for 10GB, on top of my voice plan (which is a legacy plan Option something or other, not an Active Life one anyway). My Unbilled Calls shows up my data transfer with a 0 cost now.

I don't have the Broadband link in my O2 account (is that just for the standalone Broadband product?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

This is terrific news, will happily pay 30€ for any service that might work better than 3's 20€ offering and b) that can be dispensed with if say, going away for a prolonged holiday.

The advantage of having voice and data on the one SIM is manifold, the only downside being drain on battery life. If only Nokia would enable charging via the USB port!

This is very interesting. Has anyone else got it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

ciaranfo wrote: »
    This is very interesting.

I concur! Now all thats required is a similar cheaper offering, say 2Gb for a tenner a month. So then I could use either the browser on my handset, the browser on my PocketPC (via bluetooth), or the one on my laptop (again via bluetooth). Mobile internet access would finally be accessible, reasonable and useful. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

When are they making this official? I hope they bring out some cheaper packages for prepay customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

Some of the people in O2 do know about it

This is a response to an inquiry I made about adding broadband as an add-on
    ####################################################
    Subject: o2 gprs
    Dear Liam

Thank you for your mail of 09/11/07 and please accept our apology for the delay in responding to your query

I note from our records that you have since been in contact with our Customer Care Team and this matter has been addressed. You have 10GB of data for €30 per month added to your account on 21/11/07

Should you require further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us

Best Regards

#############
    o2 Customer Care
    O2
    Tel: 1909

Email: Customer.Care@o2.com
    Web: www.o2.ie
    ##########################################

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sheepshagger

Got the 10GB for EUR 30 deal added on (finally) :D

Thanks for the heads up guys.

Its back up on the O2 website again as an add-on

My brother is thinking of moving to o2 billpay from vodafone. He has an unlocked iphone. I've successfully put o2 data settings into my iphone and they work perfectly except it's expensive. My question is would my bro be able to get this add-on or does he have to have an o2 branded phone with hsdpa?
    Will he have to change the data settings from the standard o2 ones? (ie wap.dol.ie-apn)

O2 dont brand(kill) their phone like Vodafone do, you dont need to have an O2 "branded" phone.
    I dont have a HSDPA phone (yet) and they gave it to me no probs.
    He should be using the open.internet as the APN

billbond4 wrote: »
    O2 dont brand(kill) their phone like Vodafone do, you dont need to have an O2 "branded" phone.
    I dont have a HSDPA phone (yet) and they gave it to me no probs.
    He should be using the open.internet as the APN
    Cheers for the reply. By branded I meant Locked to the network.
    Yes the apn "internet" on it's own with no username and password also works.
    WHy would you recommend open.internet? Is it better sowehow?

Finally they've made it happen then. Very nice to see them moving into the data market, let's hope the service stays as strong as it is and doesn't slide into 3 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Hey lads, if you got this data addon for your current phone, what kind of speeds would you see on your laptop when connected over bluetooth? eg connected via a Sony Ericsson T650 (which is 3G)? For example, if I downloaded the itunes installer from apple.com, what kind of kb/s would you get on a typical day? Would HSDPA be much faster? Could the network potentially get as bad as the Three network in a year or two's time? Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 markb658

Just rang o2 and they said i have to buy the modem to avail of this offer?
    I'm a pay monthly customer on a Active life 150 plan.

Do you have to buy the modem? I taught it was a data plan for broadband through the phone?

markb658 wrote: »
    Just rang o2 and they said i have to buy the modem to avail of this offer?
    I'm a pay monthly customer on a Active life 150 plan.

Do you have to buy the modem? I taught it was a data plan for broadband through the phone?

You thought right: you have just happened upon a CSA who has not yet been informed of the new add-on.

• Advertisement

Hey lads, if you got this data addon for your current phone, what kind of speeds would you see on your laptop when connected over bluetooth? eg connected via a Sony Ericsson T650 (which is 3G)? For example, if I downloaded the itunes installer from apple.com, what kind of kb/s would you get on a typical day? Would HSDPA be much faster? Could the network potentially get as bad as the Three network in a year or two's time? Cheers!

3G is not good enough: an HSDPA phone (much faster) is NOT good enough. What you need is a modern handset which offers both HSDPA AND Bluetooth 2.0. Enter the N95 and the 6120 Classic (for starters)......

Oh right, Good stuff, Sure i'll ring again and see if the next person knows, If that doesnt work i'll call into the shop here in town.

Cheers

markb658 wrote: »
    Oh right, Good stuff, Sure i'll ring again and see if the next person knows, If that doesnt work i'll call into the shop here in town.

Cheers

Just insist. Politely of course. Then get really, really rude* (I have a bee in my bonnet at the moment since I have had to phone about the same problem since last February).They have internal mail about it and it is now featured on the website.

*This is my silly humour; don't be rude, be firm :-)

Point them to the website and also ask if they'd mind checking with their TL. O2 care agents are generally pretty friendly and helpful once you don't rub them the wrong way :) (as with most places)

culabula wrote: »
    Just insist. Politely of course. Then get really, really rude* (I have a bee in my bonnet at the moment since I have had to phone about the same problem since last February).They have internal mail about it and it is now featured on the website.

*This is my silly humour; don't be rude, be firm :-)

Rang again today, Got it sorted, The lad was sound he didnt know about it himself, but he checked with the data team, and bingo its now active on my account, And with HSDPA out this way its goin pretty strong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

On a slightly different note, I have just seen this now on the O2 website regarding the 3G broadband modem. One of the initial appeals of the broadband modem was that they allowed roaming (albeit at crazy prices)

"New Mobile Broadband modem customers subscribing to O2 after November 29th 2007 cannot automatically use data services while roaming (including in Northern Ireland) . Customers should call our Customer Care team to get set-up for roaming."

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

So.. still ****ty mobile broadband rates for pre-pay ya? Tis been great checking Bebo on the mobile now that its only 1.50 a week. Now id love to browse boards (think theres a mobile skin) via my mobile and check mail etc. Costs a fortune tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I do all that on 3 prepay for basically nothing. €1.50 seems like a rip off in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

@Hustler: The difference is, it actually *works* on O2 :p

I still wish they'd increase the cap on the existing add-ons. Since I just switched to O2 Billpay, I went for the cheapest-cost data plan, as the monthly cost is €35, tack on €5 for the data-plan and my bill is a good €40 before any extra's are included. I dont want to pay for heavier data-plans when I already fork out €40/mo for the same speed broadband (thank you eircon :mad: ).

A 100MB for €5, even for PAYG would be perfect for most people, its rather hard to exceed a comparativly small cap like that anyway unless you use the phone as a modem, which O2 actually *allows* you to do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I do all that on 3 prepay for basically nothing. €1.50 seems like a rip off in comparison.

Tis a proper version for Mobile, they send you texts to alert you of new comments and sayings. You can also upload photos from your phone for about 25c per message.

Advertisement