Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joining A Rally team

• 19-11-2007 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Does anyone know how to go about joining a rally team or club.....I'v wanted to do it since i was a kid and know i'm old enough i don't know how to go about it...Any help would be great!!!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

Check out your local motor club or www.motorsportireland.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Lewe

do you know of any around the dublin 22 area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

Is anyone on here a member of any of the clubs???
    I'm only 17 and looking to get into the sport so i haven't got a rally car or anything...So i'm looking for a team that can help me out....If anyone on here could help that would be great!!!!!:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

If you plan rallying, you dont need to join a team per se, you need cash and a fair bit of it too.

if you are looking at getting involved, marshalling is a great way to start out, moving to perhaps co-driving.

• Advertisement

Thats the problem!!!!!17 year olds don't have that sort of money!!!!Thats why i would like to try join a team with there own cars!!Because i'm hoping they will let me drive after a few years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

Lewe wrote: »
    Thats the problem!!!!!17 year olds don't have that sort of money!!!!Thats why i would like to try join a team with there own cars!!Because i'm hoping they will let me drive after a few years...
    Nobody will "let" you just drive their cars. Rally cars a extremely expensive machines. Even if you do rent one your looking at a couple of grand per event even for a crappy late 90's Honda Civic.

If you looking for a bit of craic and what to experience rallying try the Rally School of Ireland on Monaghan. www.rsi.ie It's a great experience.

The only form of cheap motorsport is "no motorsport" :p

i do plan on buying my own car in a few years but until then i wanna try get involved with a team.I know i won't be driving which doesn't bother me.Like i wouldn't car if was just washing the cars.

Lewe wrote: »
    i do plan on buying my own car in a few years but until then i wanna try get involved with a team.I know i won't be driving which doesn't bother me.Like i wouldn't car if was just washing the cars.

The cheapest form ofr rallying is probably a decent PC and RBR!

Like Niki said, ad this will sound harsh, but why should they let you drive? What sets you apart in terms of talent and or markeability. Bear in mind, you are competing with drivers who have been racing at national and international level since they were 8 or 9 years old.

Your best best, is to start working with a team and or driver, and also marshalling at events, that will get you familiar with the world of motorsport. But count yourself lucky if you get a ride as a passenger.

If you want to compete, its gona cost big money, theres no two ways about it. You could try and spread the cost with some friends.

Your best best, is to start working with a team and or driver, and also marshalling at events, that will get you familiar with the world of motorsport. But count yourself lucky if you get a ride as a passenger.

thats the thing i'm trying to find a team or a driver that i can work with.The reason i posted here was because i was hoping someone might know a team or driver that i could work with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

only way of getting any type of work or attention from a rally team is to make a name for yourself (in racing that is).
    like all the other posts suggest, its expensive, REAL expensive.
    I go to Mondello most weekends and im lucky enough to get a few laps in the navagator seat at rally sprint days in my mates car.
    if your really hell bent on getting into this sport you can pick up a race ready car from 5K, 205GTI or polo or a mini, u will need a race licence and Some knowledge of mechanics(if u dont, add 1000s to your running costs)
    so as for a team, forget about it for now
    try Carting, even that can burn a large hole in pockets

would it be any help if i was a mechanic.....well apprentice mechanic cause i'm currently serving my team

try Carting, even that can burn a large hole in pockets

You mean Karting I assume?

Lewe try www.irishkarting.com for more info on Kart racing. Its still a fair wad of cash to compete, but for the same money you will be going quite a bit faster and have some wheel-to-wheel action. Also, when you make a mistake, it costs a lot less $$$. Its definatly a great place to learn control, balance and a host of other things. You can move on from it of course, but many stay in Karting for the speed and competition. Sitting here in the US, I have to say id love a couple of laps around Watergrasshill right now :)

Thing about rallying is that of course you can buy a car for 5k and run it yourself if you are handy for the craic. But as you get serious, you will be pushing it and inevitably you will total your car on more than one occasion. Thats where it gets expensive, aside from engine rebuilds and tyres. The safety standards for rallying are MUCH more stringent than circuit racing and this also ads to the expense.

You could get a taste of rallying on a budget with hillclimbing or Autocross (think thats what its called) is basically grass racing, never been to one myself, but I believe its econmonical and great fun.

Being a mechanic will help. I know there are some rallying forums around, cant think of the names though, try the motorsport links sticky at the top of the page and start calling around sending emails see if any teams need help over winter. You could try murray motrosport, www.murraymotorsport.ie not sure if they run in rallying, but in any case if they dont have some work for you with race cars, they may be able to put you in touch with someone who does.

You might have to work for for free at first though. If you really want to go for it, id advise you to get some books on car/chassis setup & physics so that you have a good understanding of it. Anybody can turn a wrench (or spanner, hehe ive been in the US for too long) but if you have a good understanding of the broader picture and can work with drivers thats a big help. Thats what helped me get to play around at a NASCAR team earlier this year.

Mechanics who want to work with teams in NASCAR are two to a penny over here, but if you establish yourself as having an understanding of how setup/physics work, it helps a lot. Alse expect to be working from 6a-10p without neccacarily getting paid any more!

Racing sims on a decent PC with a wheel can help this learning process too.

Sims to use to help learn the basics about driving and setup:

Grand Prix Legends
    Live for Speed (There might be another irish league starting soon, also there is a free demo on www.liveforspeed.net)
    Richard Burns Rally (if you like rallying you HAVE to get this)
    RFactor
    Netkar (buggy as hell though)
    NASCAR 2003 (2003 ONLY!)

"Sims" to not bother with:

TOCA race driver series
    Geoff Crammonds GP series (initally way ahead of its time, in the early 90's)
    Colin McRae (RIP) series, great guy, amazing driver, not a good sim.
    Gt Series
    Forza Series*
    Project Gotham series

* Of these though, the Forza series is the closest to reality in terms of setup/driving education.

If this is a career move, you may consider moving to the UK. Its prettymuch the motorsports capital of the world. Also, Swansea university used to offer a degree in Motorsport Engineering. Not sure if it still runs, but if you have relevant experience it will help you get into the course.

OK, I better go to bed now. Good luck!

Cheers mate, I have been in contact with murray motorsports just hoping the get back to me.And as for workin for nothing.........I wouldn't care i'd be doing it purely for the love of the sport.

Thanks again mate some great info there.

Cheers,
    L

Advertisement