Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangers of Super Heros!!!

Options
  • 19-11-2007 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Just a little terrible story I thought I'd share with you.

I know this little boy. He's 5 & he loves Superman. Adores Superman, everything is Superman this & superman that!!!!

Over the weekend he decided he was Superman!

He went upstairs, somehow climbed up onto the banister & jumped, thinking he could fly!!!!

He has smashed his jaw & 3 places & is today getting wires inserted to rebuild it.
    He smashed all his teeth.
    His teeth burst through his lower lip!!!
    His face is all cut & bruised.

Although that is terrible, he is a lucky lucky boy to be alive!!!

Please remember just how innocent your children are & take the time to sit them down & explain to them how they are not Superman & the likes & how they can't fly, or you could find yourself in a similar position as this little fellas parents.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Sorry, but he is 3 and "somehow" climbed a bannister?

Speaking as a parent, I have to ask - what were his parents doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Read again!!!

He's 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Before I am asked - yes it is sad to hear stories like that, however...

...3 or 5 - doesnt matter. You still didnt answer my question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

I did it as a kid my mum made me magic fairy wings and i climbed on to the banisters in my nan's house and threw my self off, lucky for me one of my uncles was walking up the stairs at the time and caught me, but i've known many kids not to be so lucky!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Jeepers :eek: i'm all for encouraging imaginative play but that little lad took it to extremes!
    Thank heaven neither of mine are climbers..you can't follow a child round every second of the day to prevent accidents.

Ph3n0m wrote: »
    Sorry, but he is 3 and "somehow" climbed a bannister?

Speaking as a parent, I have to ask - what were his parents doing?

Ph3n0m... his parents could have been standing looking at him and it still could've happened... it would take an energetic little boy a split second to climb and jump off a banister.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Ph3n0m wrote: »
    Before I am asked - yes it is sad to hear stories like that, however...

...3 or 5 - doesnt matter. You still didnt answer my question

I didn't think it was a question needing answering!!!

Are you the type of parent who follows your 5 year old around the house EVERY SINGLE second of EVERY day!
    No, I didn't think so.
    No one can watch their child for every single second of every day.

I wrote this post to warn people of what can happen, not to be interrogated & people trying to state that the childs parents are bad parents!!! But since you asked:-

The child is 5, therefore in normal circumstances you'd imagine old enough to be allowed upstairs to grab a toy, or whatever on their own.

The father was working.

The mother was at home alone watching him.
    She's pregnant & also suffers from MS (not that that's anyones business) so she's not able to run after him every second.

This is the 1st time he ever tried anything like that.

So, like I originally said, this is only to warn you of what can happen, so regardless of how mature you think your children are, it's probably no harm to have a chat to your child.
    That's what you should take out of this post, not 'Jeez, what bad parents they are, I'm SO much better as I'd never let that happen to mine'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

Some people are the it will never happen to me types...

but some day the it will happen and thats only when they cop on to the fact that you cant prevent everything from happening (i am not tring to be accusitory here i'm just stating that there are people like that!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

The poor little fella. I hope he recovers smoothly and quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

phenom, i don't get your post. what difference does it make? kids will always manage to do crazy things sometimes when we're not looking and sometimes even when we are looking. i managed to have 20 stitches from 4 separate accidents by the age of 4 simply by playing in my room. i have a little one who runs around the house, goes up and down the stairs on his own. The other day he fell down the stairs and split his lip, and even though he is incredibly careful, now he is even more careful. i will not put gates up just because of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 karry1412

phenom, i don't get your post. what difference does it make? kids will always manage to do crazy things sometimes when we're not looking and sometimes even when we are looking. i managed to have 20 stitches from 4 separate accidents by the age of 4 simply by playing in my room.

Same here - I broke my arm while I was playing in my room. My mother is the best mother I could possibly wish for & at the time she was in the kitchen looking after my little brother. Maybe this woman also has another child to care for? Maybe she took her eyes of the child for a minute to answer the door/phone/prepare his lunch. You never know.

Hope he recovers soon.

My little one fell in the kitchen and cut her chin so deep that she needed surgery to fix it. I got the "you can't watch them all the time" reactions from people but in fact I was watching... she was about 2ft away from me when it happened. These things happen so quickly that there is little you can do... short of padding the house in cotton wool and installing safety nets.

Of course... trying to explain that real people can't fly might work in some instances.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

i will not put gates up just because of that.

I assume he isn't a toddler etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

nesf wrote: »
    I assume he isn't a toddler etc.

he is, but he is just incredibly cautious. We put up gates but he worked them out. This is the first time he's fallen, but an hour later he was back on the stairs holding the rail going up and down. The stairs are carpeted so any fall is more frightening than anything else. i know this sounds strange but he is just so at ease on them that we've stopped worrying about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

ouch ouch ouch, the poor fella. Hope he gets well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Why didn't he try to take off from the ground like Superman normally does?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

poor lad, and OP, you didn't have to answer the question, your just bringing it to peoples attention, i'm sure his parents had to answer that when they took the poor lad to hospital, i'm not a parent, would love kids of my own some day, and if same happened to me i would be riddled with guilt, all my aunts, uncles, cosins are excellent parents, and their own kids, like all kids will have accidents, but you cant watch your kids 24/7 in the house, me and alot my cousins my age and younger have been in scapes and accidents when were kids, trying to mimic something on TV, or tring to do something to adventureance

it only takes a couple of seconds, you learn from it, and hopefully try and stop it happening again,

hope the little fellas ok

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

he is, but he is just incredibly cautious. We put up gates but he worked them out. This is the first time he's fallen, but an hour later he was back on the stairs holding the rail going up and down. The stairs are carpeted so any fall is more frightening than anything else. i know this sounds strange but he is just so at ease on them that we've stopped worrying about it.

Our guy is good with stairs but I'd be loath to let him unhindered access to them. A fall down a stairs can be pretty nasty tbh even with older kids never mind toddlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

My cousin did almost the exact thing when he was five. While pretending to be superman he climbed up on the kitchen counter, dived head first and cracked his skull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Yikes!!!!

I'm so glad I read this thread... I'm going straight home to have a pre-emptive superhero chat with my 4 year old! You think your kids are so clever... our 4 year old is really smart... so you presume they know these things... but that's a trap, as the OP has shown us.

Man, people should be told these things... from all the examples given, it's not rare!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

At least when Buzz Lightyear jumped off the bannister he fell and broke himself up, so kids wont copy him.

Poor kid I hope hell recover soon.

You cant watch your kids all the time, I think only a non parent would seriously suggest you could. My little guy (4) was playing quietly in his room while I was cleaning, but then it was too quiet... I checked and the little beggar had climbed out the window and was playing outside. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I've had my own horrors too. My daughter climbed 2 steps of the stairs when she was 9-months-old (I had visitors, I was making them tea and I thought they were watching her) ,when she slipped, fell and landed on her tummy on ceramic tiles, then her head banged on the floor eaving a very nasty bruise. Then, when she was nealy 4 she was sitting on our kitchen high stool (as she had been doing since she was 2.5 years old without any accident) when for some strange reason the stool fell over he fell flat on her face, bruising her nose and forehead. And I was right beside her when that happened but couldn't grab her quick enough.
    My daughter is now 5 and I certainly wouldn't be watching her 100% of the time, like a previous poster suggested we should!
    I actually heard asuperman story before. A doctor working with us caught his 4-year-old son about to jump from an upstairs window in his costume and managed to stop him!

Advertisement