Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupid things you have done...

• 19-11-2007 12:49pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We have all done some Stupid things in our life so lets see how bad they are.I have done many many stupid things but a couple to get this thread going.

A few years ago I was doing a medical as part of a job interview,a hearing test was part of this medical.I went into the room were the hearing test was going to be conducted,I was given a set of head phones and told to put them on and make sure they fit.They were grand and I did not bother to taken them off,the chap then said well this is what I taught I heard him say....'sit down there and put your head on the table,I will be back in a min.'

I did think this is a bit weird putting my head on a table,but I have never done a hearing test so maybe this is the norm.What seemed like 20min passed but was probably more like 5 or 10 min,I get a tap on the shoulder and the chap said to me 'its not a good idea to sleep in an interview'.It turns out he told he to 'put your hand on the table' as I would have to tap when I heard anything through the headphones.He got a great laugh out of it when I explained to him that I was not asleep.This it has to be said was not my finest moment in life.

Another time me and a few mates were heading over to Liverpool for a game and we got on the wrong plane,now the plane did not take off but it had to taxi back to the terminal building.We were not the most popular people on that short flight.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

well, as someone who considers their greatest move in life to be the time i took two weeks off work on very little notice to travel 13,000 miles across the world to meet a man twice my age i'd never seen in person before cos i was crazy about him, only to come home all that distance again in less than 2 weeks only to move back there 7 months later... i dont think ive any stupid moves, really.

many friends do disagree though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭babyguinnessfan

I once tried to get out of someone's way in a clothes shop, you know, sidestepping left and right. I was looking more at the clothes at the time and not really concentrating on the person in front of me and there was low-ish lighting in the shop. It was only when I said "sorry" in a loud voice that I properly looked at the person...to discover that it was actually my own reflection in a mirrored wall...I had been trying to get out of my own way - morto!
    I got out of the shop pronto in case anyone had been watching my shenanigans...:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

narco wrote: »
    well, as someone who considers their greatest move in life to be the time i took two weeks off work on very little notice to travel 13,000 miles across the world to meet a man twice my age i'd never seen in person before cos i was crazy about him, only to come home all that distance again in less than 2 weeks only to move back there 7 months later... i dont think ive any stupid moves, really.

many friends do disagree though...
    I think you'll find many others would have done the same too for a Bob Dylan concert! Why'd you hang around for 2 weeks after the concert though? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

When I was small(er) I drank a load of PVA glue.

Not very bright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

When I was younger I cut my tongue with a scissors

frightened the crap out of my mother running down the stairs with a mouth full of blood

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭JayoCluxton

Varkov wrote: »
    When I was small(er) I drank a load of PVA glue.

Not very bright.

Were you declared in solvent after??

I was a nipper, so I dont think anyone assumed too much.

I did get a few "and what were you doing"'s when I managed to spray superglue all over my face around the age of 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

I once tried to get out of someone's way in a clothes shop, you know, sidestepping left and right. I was looking more at the clothes at the time and not really concentrating on the person in front of me and there was low-ish lighting in the shop. It was only when I said "sorry" in a loud voice that I properly looked at the person...to discover that it was actually my own reflection in a mirrored wall...I had been trying to get out of my own way - morto!
    I got out of the shop pronto in case anyone had been watching my shenanigans...:o

i dont suppose by any chance that was in river island on grafton street because i witnessed my girlfriend doing almost the exact same thing, the funny thing was i could see it about to happen but i didnt warn her cause it was just too funny!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

1. Left school early
    2. Joined the army
    3. Married a wagon
    4. Had kids with the wagon
    5. Stayed in the army too long

How many mistakes can one person make? These are just the big ones; did lots of stupid small things, too, like driving into the gatepost. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

Haha. I done this once in Fireworks pub in Pearse Street. I was trying for about 10 minutes to shout my order across the crowd to the bar, not realising that I was actually trying to order off the reflection of the bar in the mirror at the rear of the dance floor :o.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

That's hillarious! I've apologised to a manican before for bumping into it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Had to take a bus to do shopping when i got sudden urge to 'dump a load'.

I was alone on the top deck so I unloaded into the plastic bag rapid fire,tied the top in a knot and left it at my feet.

Next stop,guess what!

Chick who knew me got on and sat beside me.I got off at the next stop and was just leaving the bus when she dashed down the stairs with 'the bag'

"You forgot your sausages" says she!!

:o:o:o:o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Mine just happened...boss was literally adressing the six people in our office and i broke my hole laughing at that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

I was alone on the top deck so I unloaded into the plastic bag rapid fire,tied the top in a knot and left it at my feet.

Next stop,guess what!

Chick who knew me got on and sat beside me.I got off at the next stop and was just leaving the bus when she dashed down the stairs with 'the bag'

ha****ingha that is terrible !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

(if you haven't seen Little Miss Sunshine, this is a spoiler - you're warned)

I work in a video shop and i've done a couple of terrible ones... like the time an American woman came in, seemed a bit down, returning DVD's that were ten days late. She explained that the reason for this was her father had died in America and herself and the family had been away at the funeral, so I didn't charge her for them.

However. She then asked to recommend a happy, cheerful family film for them to watch to kinda lift the spirit and such. "Oh no problem" I says "have you watched Little Miss Sunshine? Great family film, etc..." So she appreciates it and leaves kinda happy and thanking me. Not ten seconds had she walked out the door when I realised I just gave her the happy family film where the granddad dies halfway through!!

And theres the time I gave a 10 year old girl that lovely French movie SATAN...

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

When I was a sprog about 1 or 2 I reached up to a shelf and overturned a huge tin of paint right over myself. My folks came running when they heard the my wail of surprise and said I was covered head to foot in brilliant white. I had to be brought into A and E so they could get it out of my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

The time I went up on fire.

A few Christmases back, it was snowing and the fire was on at home. I have a habit of standing with the backs of my legs to the fire when watching TV or a film, and I often lean back, with my elbows on the mantlepiece in a sophisticated pose (not!).

I'd forgotten that my Mum had a candle lit and yet, I didn't feel anything for the longest time. Until I heard a roaring sound. Our chimney has a habit of going up in fire at Christmas and so calmly, I put my ear to the wall to hear the roar from the chimney. There was none.

So I settled back again against the mantlepiece. Out the corner of my eye, I saw some sooty floatsum travelling on a thermal. Then-WHAM! I FELT MY BACK ON FIRE!

In a split second, I thought about running out and rolling in the snow, but I was wondering what people driving past my house would think? "There goes young ______, I always knew he was a mentaler. On fire, and rolling in the snow at 8.00 o clock at night at Christmas time.":)

Luckily, by the time I had ripped off my shirt, the fire had gone out. Hadn't even burned through my vest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

I once told my sister that there was a ghost in the wardrobe - we were only 5. She is 1.5yrs younger than me and would have to bring her to toliet, her being 3 or 4 at time. She would take ages going and this left me fuming. So i told her this to make her hurry up.
    But it backfired - we moved house when I was 10, so from the age of say 4 to 10. I had to wait outside the toliet -So the ghost would not get her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Next stop,guess what!

Best laugh all day!!! :D

How did you wipe clean, and where'd you put that? JAysus, the smell must have been something else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Next stop,guess what!

I don't believe you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I crumpled up my boarding pass and threw it in the bin once!

Thought it was my twix rapper.

A frantic search that was!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭stooge

king-stew wrote: »
    i dont suppose by any chance that was in river island on grafton street because i witnessed my girlfriend doing almost the exact same thing, the funny thing was i could see it about to happen but i didnt warn her cause it was just too funny!!

Done the same thing in a bar. Went to the toilet and they have these mirrored doors, I wasn't really paying attanetion and sidestepped only to walk into the thing. Luckily no-one was about...stupidly, I told my mates later and the story has since spread! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Moved to Ireland:rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭JOJOC

I was about 15 and i was at the local disco when my friend was locked and messing with a lynx bottle and a lighter and guess what the side of my hair went up! The smell of singed hair was terrible and I wouldnt mind I was dancing with some random bloke!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭JayoCluxton

I was going out with a girl a few years back who worked as a receptionist. Our phone calls were frequently interrupted as she put me on hold :):) to take an incoming call. I'd be left listening to some supermarket music sometimes without warning and in mid-sentence.

One day we were chatting and she disappeared and next thing Larry Gogan was on the other end doing his Just-a-Minute quiz. I presumed it was a crossed line and started jumping in with the right answers (I'm a fairly bright bloke!). So there I was at work shouting things into the phone like George Best - Milwaukee - 24 - False etc with my workmates looking at me in a manner of perplexion. I had visions of my family and mates listening and saying - that's Jayo answering the questions. I was also wondering why Larry didn't say to the contestant "Have you got some help there" or "There appears to be a problem with the line."

Anyway next thing the girlfriend comes back on asking "now where were we" kind of thing. I started telling her about the crossed line and was a bit pizzed off that she had ruined my moment of glory when she told me that the company she worked in had invested in a new call waiting system that left you listening to 2FM. :eek: Egg on face - but I told them all at work about it! Well if you're gonna make a complete ass of yourself you might as well give people a laugh about it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

I got lost while rather drunk in denmark. wandered into what I later found out was a gay cruising park, and fell in the lake. Next day I woke up sand (???) and water everywhere.

I also thought I'd lost my passport during this drunken sham of a night and spent hours looking for the irish embassy, turned out to be next door to the building with the right number on it, but with nothing to distinguish it as an embassy (unlike lots of others with flags - bloody cheap Ireland!) ended up walking for miles up and down the worlds longest street cos I called and the embassy people said its on the right as you come from x station. It was, ironically, on the left. Then I finally got in 5 mins from closing and they sent me to get passport photos back at the station! they had to stay open an extra half hour for me to get an emergency passport.

Then later I met up with a mate there and he says "Oh yeah I found this when I put on my coat" and hands me my passport. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

When I was a kid I set fire to the house twice on xmas eve... not the same xmas eve... the fires would have been about 5 years apart.

Big fires too.. the type where you have to get a new roof for the kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

When I was a kid I set fire to the house twice on xmas eve... not the same xmas eve... the fires would have been about 5 years apart.

Big fires too.. the type where you have to get a new roof for the kitchen.

How???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Best laugh all day!!! :D

How did you wipe clean, and where'd you put that? JAysus, the smell must have been something else...

Wipe! I had an emergency here!!

Anyway the sphinct. snapped shut like a rat trap and no wipe reqd.

I tied the bag almost on contact so no smell appeared for the one stop.
    Thats why I was so anxious to leave the bus before the stink got out.

Horrible experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

How???

Chip pan... it's always the chip pan...

One summer my brothers and I got bored. We also had a bonfire on. And thought, "what could we do with a bonfire". After some brainstorming we went inside, got a can of beans and placed said can on the bonfire.

5 minutes passed, nothing happened.
    10 minutes passed, nothing happened.
    15 minutes passed, nothing happened.

At this point we were getting bored so I thought it would be a good idea to walk up the garden when boom the can explodes scattering beans everywhere and hitting me in the back (I was wearing a jumper so it didn't burn). It was like WW2, only with beans instead of bombs.

Now, any normal person would have left it at that. But no, we thought it was jolly good fun. So on the bonfire went a can of tomato puree and after that another can of beans. The back of our house stank of burnt beans and tomatoes for weeks afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

A lot of the stupit things I did was under the influence of alcohol and couldnt be repeated.

But when I lived in London I went to pub after work one night and got last train home. Fell asleep on it, missed my stop and ended up at the last stop hours away from London. Luckily one of my colleagues was with me (she feel asleep too) and when we got off we were in the middle of the country and in the middle of nowhere but the station had a pay phone (this was before mobile phones) so she rang the only person she knew would be up - her housemate and he drove for hours in the middle of the night to pick us up and drop us home. She didnt even like him which made it worse ! Drive back to London was sobering.

Another time in London (drunk again) I was arrested by underground police for trying to jump the underground gate without a ticket. Total innocent mistake - I had a ticket but it was for the wrong zone. (Drink - its a curse). Underground guards wouldnt believe me and made me pay the fine.

Once while totally sober I was getting the train (whats it with trains and me) from drogheda to Dublin and i got on the wrong side of the track (the signage there is bad) and i only realised when i was at the stop before belfast. good job there was one train left coming back to dublin !

Next stop,guess what!

LOL!

That would be hilarious if someone did that!

Cause quite obviously you didn't.

Advertisement