Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road Safety - Overdone ??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Come on - I am worried about it as much as anyone else - I am just saying we here in Ireland seem to be on about it constantly.

I mean when Richard Hammond was on the late late show - The Plank almost stuck him in the corner and blamed him for people speeding here. Equally - I have watched the WRC in numerous other countries and have never seen almost every interview make the interviewee stop just short of an apology for the fact they're involved in a sport where they dare to drive quickly.

I don't think the volume of campaigning (or propaganda if you prefer) is the problem, its just the fact that it is becoming more patronising and more condescending towards young male drivers like me is the problem. Gay Byrne and the likes of Ray d'Arcy sound like real arseholes, repeating the same mantra ad infinitum. I'm convinced that driver stupidity and ignorance combined with the state of the road network are the source of all Irish road deaths.

I don't think that anyone should apologise for doing their utmost to prevent road deaths, but I think the current strategy will become less and less effective over time. A long-term overhaul of driver education combined with sensible enforcement is the only way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

This boy racer myth is steadily getting ripped apart.

A) Not all male.
    B) Age group 25-34 are hardly 'boys' OR 'girls'.
    C) Speed only a minority factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I for one am getting a bit tired of the same old "speed kills message" that gets bleated at us every five minutes.

In my opinion, the governement / RSA / local authorities have not yet earned the right to lecture us drivers about our shortcomings / deficiencies. They need to clean up their own shop first.

Within 500 meters of my house, there are enough examples of bad road design, inappropriate speed limits, wrongly placed signs, missing road markings, poorly maintained roads, etc to fill a small booklet.

Each of the above could (and will some day) cause an accident and possibly cost a life or cause severe injury. I have complained about these dangers to the local council and local guards and got shrugged off in both cases.

Surely one of these days there will be a lethal accident (there have been enough smaller ones already) and instead of blaming the bad and dangerous road design, some driver (possibly the victim) will be found to have driven with "inappropriate speed" and that'll be that until the next accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

I think alot is down to bad and ignorant drivers. Every day i see drivers driving like its some sort of playstation game.
    Just an hour ago i was coming back from school i had been the first car at the lights so there was no cars infronth of me but alot behind me. As i was driving down the road there was a man trying to pull out of a park turning right, i knew he would be there all day so i slowed down and let him go as there was no traffic on the other side of the road at the time, anyway just as he was pulling out the car behind me decided he would over take me for no reason almost hitting your man who was pulling out and he sped off down the road. The man in the car stopped and plessed himself with a look on his face like he had seen a goast.

Madness like dont understand some peoples disregard to rules and saftey on the road

Advertisement