Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing modules for Semester 2

Options
  • 19-11-2007 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

Im looking at modules available for semester 2 as i want to swap electives. But i see an announcement at the bottom of every page to consult the fees and grants site for editing modules. Does this mean that there is an extra charge for changing at this stage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

That appears because you already have 6 courses registered, and if you hit "Register" you'd be registering a 7th. Shouldn't be a problem if you use the Swap option on one you already registered on, and enter the course code.

However, I tried that earlier today, and it told me the lectures are full, despite telling me on another screen there are 79 open places. Just tried again - same problem, though there are now 78 places free.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

On a similar vein,
    I want to drop an economics module for next semester but instead of drop/swap it just says drop. Is there any way i can drop this module and take up a greek and roman module instead or am I stuck doing economics next semester?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

pithater1 wrote: »
    On a similar vein,
    I want to drop an economics module for next semester but instead of drop/swap it just says drop. Is there any way i can drop this module and take up a greek and roman module instead or am I stuck doing economics next semester?

If there is space for you to take it up and it does not clash with the modules you already have then I don't see any reason why you can't change modules.

Spoke to my Programme Office today: if you have the problem I did, it's because the Swap/Drop option only seems to check the numbers of Elective places available. It was telling me "full", even though the course description said 79 places. Those are all Programme places, meaning that they're reserved for people who are on the Programme the course belongs to. The course I wanted is in my Programme, so it should have worked.

We could make that change by Dropping the elective I didn't want, selecting the new course, and hitting Register, and it was accepted. The system doesn't seem to complain if you do it the other way around, registering the new course before dropping the old one - just that fee warning, which only applies if you really want to take seven courses.

I wonder if they'll make some of those Programme places available as Elective places later, if they're not taken by Programme students?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I'm posting in here rather than starting a new thread. I changed my elective from Stage 2 but now it's telling me that the stage is "unassigned" for that module, and I don't see any way to assign it. Also, just to double check: will this cost me money?

• Advertisement

You have to assign a stage for every elective you select. It's per course, so if you changed the course, select it again on the Electives screen.

It will only cost you money if you have more than 6 courses after selection is closed, not if you temporarily have 7 selected while you're making changes. That's what the lady in the programme office told me, as she was doing it. (I had 7 selected for about 2 minutes, and saw the warning, but then I dropped the one I didn't want, leaving 6.)

Advertisement