Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tue 20 Nov 21:30 St Columbus College -v- Fred West Ham

Options
  • 19-11-2007 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

Des - where's the venue for this match?

Should be a very good measure of progress cos this will be a tough match against a strong side. We just fell short in first match of the season so we should be expecting a result tomorrow.

Carl -

Martin -
    Darran -
    Ed -
    Dan -
    Michael -
    Geoff -
    Simon -

Shay - injured
    Colm Larkin -
    Gav -
    Sav -
    Larry -
    Dave -
    Darragh -
    Kenny -
    Lepo -
    Niall -

Joe -
    Jules – Will be there
    Art -
    Fran -

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Game is in Columbas College at HALF NINE, I'll text everyone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Carl -

Martin -
    Darran - Will be there
    Ed -
    Dan -
    Michael -
    Geoff -
    Simon -

Shay - injured
    Colm Larkin -
    Gav -
    Sav -
    Larry -
    Dave -
    Darragh -
    Kenny -
    Lepo -
    Niall -

Joe -
    Jules – Will be there
    Art -
    Fran -

I bolded it up to make it easier to count :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Carl -

Martin -
    Darran - Will be there
    Ed -
    Dan -
    Michael - Will be there
    Geoff -
    Simon -

Shay - injured
    Colm Larkin -
    Gav -
    Sav -
    Larry -
    Dave -
    Darragh -
    Kenny -
    Lepo -
    Niall -

Joe -
    Jules – Will be there
    Art -
    Fran -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Carl -

Martin -
    Darran - Will be there
    Ed -
    Dan -
    Michael - Will be there
    Geoff -
    Simon -

Shay - injured
    Colm Larkin -
    Gav -
    Sav - anseo
    Larry -
    Dave -
    Darragh -
    Kenny -
    Lepo -
    Niall -

Joe -
    Jules – Will be there
    Art -
    Fran -
    ________

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Carl -

Martin - Will be there
    Darran - Will be there
    Ed -
    Dan -
    Michael - Will be there
    Geoff -
    Simon -

Shay - injured
    Colm Larkin -
    Gav -
    Sav - anseo
    Larry -
    Dave -
    Darragh -
    Kenny -
    Lepo -
    Niall -

Joe -
    Jules – Will be there
    Art -
    Fran -

A win tomorrow and nothing else lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Carl -

Martin - Will be there
    Darran - Will be there
    Ed - Will be there
    Dan - Will be there
    Michael - Will be there
    Geoff -
    Simon -

Shay - injured
    Colm Larkin -
    Gav -
    Sav - anseo
    Larry -
    Dave -
    Darragh -
    Kenny -
    Lepo -
    Niall -

Joe -
    Jules – Will be there
    Art - will be there
    Fran -

this will be the toughest game this year as they are on a roll of 8 games n out of 8, whereas we are losing tight games at the end. something to think about Des, up to the 5th game, we had the best defence in the league and had only conceded 3 goals. yes i know we have injuries in midfield and players are missing, but are we robbing peter to pay paul by moving our defenders around and playing them in positions where they offer less than in defence. i think for this one, we should start from the back and go with the strongest possible defence and try to keep this tight. we need something different from the last 3 games, as we have conceded 8 and that is not normally like us.

im not 100% sure, but up to the game where we lost 3-1, 3 weeks ago, we had only conceded 5 or 6 goals in the 9 games before that so something has changed that we need to address. true, we have started scoring more, but id rather be winning 1 or 2-0 than 4-3 defeat as was the case last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Carl -

Martin - Will be there
    Darran - Will be there
    Ed - Will be there
    Dan - Will be there
    Michael - Will be there
    Geoff -
    Simon - Will be there

Shay - injured
    Colm Larkin -
    Gav -
    Sav - anseo
    Larry -
    Dave -
    Darragh -
    Kenny -
    Lepo -
    Niall -

Joe -
    Jules – Will be there
    Art - will be there
    Fran -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Agree with Ed completely. Though last week there was no one else who could've played centre mid. If Kenny is there tomorrow then I'd revert to the normal back 4 alright. Sure it's the last thing on Des's mind being his birthday today :D

Happy birthday des!!!

Now, where's St Columbus' again?

I think I sent you directions before Darran?

Oh, and thanks btw.

• Advertisement

yeah you probably did but i've the memory of a very forgetful elephant. Its cool, I'm sure I have it somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭bugs90

Carl -

Martin - Will be there
    Darran - Will be there
    Ed - Will be there
    Dan - Will be there
    Michael - Will be there
    Geoff -
    Simon - Will be there

Shay - injured
    Colm Larkin -
    Gav -
    Sav - anseo
    Larry -
    Dave -
    Darragh -
    Kenny -
    Lepo -
    Niall -

Joe - Injured
    Jules – Will be there
    Art - will be there
    Fran -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

looks heavy on the defence and light on the midfield again, any word on a possible return for any of the injured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

I'm aiming to be back last match before christmas hopefully. Good luck tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Carl -

Martin - Will be there
    Darran - Will be there
    Ed - Will be there
    Dan - Will be there
    Michael - Will be there
    Geoff - Injured
    Simon - Will be there

Shay - injured
    Colm Larkin - injured
    Gav - Will be there
    Sav - anseo
    Larry - sick
    Dave -
    Darragh - can't make it
    Kenny - will be there
    Lepo -
    Niall -

Joe - Injured
    Jules – Will be there
    Art - will be there
    Fran -

regarding injury, tried playing last week after 3 weeks rest and groin had me limping the following day again. Going to see a physio and see what they think- probably just needs more rest .. :(

best of luck tonight (and happy 23rd birthday des?)

LoBo wrote: »
    (and happy 23rd birthday des?)
    :D

You'll be straight back in the team when you get back Colm.

Heh, nice one.

The Blue means the people usually just let me know if they won't be there, otherwise they turn up.

Like Karl, for instance, he never saus he'll be there, but always comes.

And I always ask in the texts that if someone isn't coming, they should let me know.

These people haven't let me know they aren't coming yet.

So I'm assuming they will be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WeAreShels

DesF wrote: »
    And I always ask in the texts that if someone isn't coming, they should let me know.

These people haven't let me know they aren't coming yet.

So I'm assuming they will be there.

Exactly. I'll be there.

some f**king win, after all the disappointment with last week and throwing away a 2 goal lead, this certainly makes up for it. not far off saying one of the best results for us ever. to be the team going for 9 wins out of 9 and doing so rather comfortably, certainly is very pleasing.

the 1 thing i asked for before the game was to tear in and give it our all for the whole game and that is exactly that is what we did. we gave them very little time on the ball and as a result, we were able to have plenty of it ourselves. some of the moves we put together were excellent and scored 3 very good goals. getting an early goal settled us down and then, even when we went down to 10 for 5 minutes, we scored a second (thats what i mean by making them earn their frees, though im paying for it now when no skin on me 2 knees!).

we hit the cross bar to go 3-0 up and then they got back into it, but great work from Fran and Sav saw us go 3-1. they pushed forward but we defended very well and had a few half chances, Sav, Gav and Art to go 4-1 up. they got back to 3-2 with a free kick into the top corner with about 2 minutes left, that should never have been given and i thought once again that the ref was going to cost us a win. however, we pushed forward and scored from a corner in the last minute. great win, great performance, we move on to 12 points and we all know that we should have at least 4 more, losing to 3 late goals in 3 games.

scorers Ed, Sav, Gav and Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

yeh great performance lads, they're an excellent team with quality players throughout and we beat them fair and square, and yeh the free for their goal was dodgy enough.

Great leadership from Ed at the back and picking his spot while standing on the halfway line is easily the best strike for us I've seen (beating my 35 yarder in off the stanchion in Colmcilles of course!). Really was an outstanding team performance and we showed we wanted it and had learned from our mistakes.

Great battling from Cathal particularly to drive on the defence in the last 10. Simon handled an excellent winger very well at right full, with Lepo settling into left full in the second and playing some good probing balls forward.

Dan and Martin did a great job in the middle in the first half, gav and Art both offerring a great threat on the left and Dave did his covering while continuing that knack for being in the right place at the right time and finishing well.

Sav put in some great work to win forward balls and hold off the defender bringing the midfield into it and fully deserved a well taken goal. Fran also had some good run and linked well with Sav and Gav for the 3rd goal.

All round good performance with plenty of fight....nice birthday present for Des! Can't believe we forgot to give him the bumps :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 wolfenstein

Alright lads, Dan here. Longtime listener-firsttime caller but had to post to say great result. Good performances right through the team, and everyone is in better form when we win. Lets build on it now, starting with another one next week.

team -

karl
    simon_ed_cathal_lepo
    dave_dan_martin_gav
    sav_jules

art(played), fran (played), darran, mikie, joe (injured), geoff (injured)

sorry if i forgot anybody!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Solid performance all round but nothing we didn't know we were capable of. Dave had a very good game, made one goal thru sheer persistence and determination and fully deserved his goal when it came. 'Wolfman' Dan won some tackles he had no right to win, especially in the 2nd half and it caused them all sorts of problems, disrupting their flow. Cathal and Ed LeTissier good games at the back too.

Every time we went forward we look like scoring and we defended well while not panicking either. We weren't giving the game up, that's for sure, and we were unlucky not to win by a bigger margin.

I think the scars of last week made us far more resilient, I suppose you could say that fiasco was a serious wake up call.

They might have been shocked at the result, but I certainly wasn't. The real question now is what do we want from this season. Obviously Fred West Ham and Dunbar will fight it out for top spot, we've only ourselves to blame for silly defeats that we're not up there.

Fred West Ham still have to play Dunbar twice, so they'll both take points off each other, in which case we're realistically chasing 3rd or 4th place, or very optimistically, 2nd if a million variables go our way.

The main thing is that we have to show that resilience (keyword) every week, that result goes to show we have nobody to fear but ourselves. Someone mentioned 'self belief' last week, well it was there tonight. In football you always get your just reward, you don't fluke a 4-2 win against the top team in the group who have yet to lose. It could easily have been 6-2, we had the clear cut chances whereas they were restricted to half chances and hoping for the lucky bounce.

We just played the runaway league leaders off the park, but it counts for nothing if we get cocky and **** it all up next week.

Sorry to spoil the party and good vibes, but it's only one game and instead of getting carried away we should be getting into the mindset that this was simply "job done". :)

NEXT!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Yeh, resilience is the right word alright, good to see it, and once we keep remembering how poxy last week felt it should drive us to avoid repeating it in future games.

Our target is to win every remaining game and see where that leaves us, last night just proved that we were right before when we said there is no team in this league we can't beat on our day.

I don't like comments about an easy game coming up next week though - does nobody remember when we thought that against a team at start of last season just cos they had no proper jerseys and they stuffed us 7-2? Or the time we started out against 9 men thinking we were gonna hit double figures and messed it up? I still remember those games and the terrible feeling afterwards, just like I'll still remember our 4-3 loss when we go 2 up deep into next season. In the same way, if we go through a bad run, I won't forget what we achieved last night - it's all about learning from your experiences not just for a few weeks, but for all games.......we don't want to be the Bolton of this league and raise our game against the big teams and drop points against weak teams..... I just don't think Des could handle the inevitable Sam Allardyce slags :)

I just don't think Des could handle the inevitable Sam Allardyce slags :)
    They'd be better than that ref who called me bleedin' Stan.

Advertisement