Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking the Q6600 with stock heatsink

Options
  • 19-11-2007 3:50pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK all, quick question, newbie oc'er here :p , I have managed to get the Q6600 stable at around 2.6Ghz and ive stress tested it over nite 24hours and played games no problems, just a question, could I bump it maybe up to 2.66Ghz without it crashing the pc? Bellow is a screenshot of it under load in Prmie95, just shows coretemp & CPUz, what should I set the FSB to to get 2.66 if possible? BTW the machine rebooted when I hit 2.71Ghz clock while playing Crysis

I'm totally new to this, got a MSI P6N SLI pro mobo and 2 gigs DDR2 PC5300 ram

Nick

--

72tmstv.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

your temps are pretty amazing for that cpu especially that your using a stock cooler :o

Getting to 2.66 whould be easy enough. You will need a fsb of 297. You can probably drop the cpu vcore down a bit too. But since you crashed at 2.7ghz it might be worth while to raise it to 1.375/1.400v.

Try that and then come back.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Anti wrote: »
    your temps are pretty amazing for that cpu especially that your using a stock cooler :o

Getting to 2.66 whould be easy enough. You will need a fsb of 297. You can probably drop the cpu vcore down a bit too. But since you crashed at 2.7ghz it might be worth while to raise it to 1.375/1.400v.

Try that and then come back.
    Cheers for that :D I'll up the voltages to 1.400, and yeah thats using intel stock cooler and stock thermal block

Nick

Edit: Didnt go for it in the end, bumping up the Vcore put temps too high, as I want stability + performance 2.40 will do for now :) Cheers Anti

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bigchrome

Put voltage at 1.3v and set to 333fsbx9 with the stock fan turned up a bit:D

yoyo wrote: »
    Cheers for that :D I'll up the voltages to 1.400, and yeah thats using intel stock cooler and stock thermal block

Nick

Edit: Didnt go for it in the end, bumping up the Vcore put temps too high, as I want stability + performance 2.40 will do for now :) Cheers Anti

The chip is safe upto 75c on each core :)

Got it to 2.625 Ghz stable, temps never go over 75 deg, cheers for the advice lads :)

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ask Santa for a cooler m8 & keep goin :D

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Ask Santa for a cooler m8 & keep goin :D
    Santa should be bringing a Xbox 360 instead hopefully :D

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

PS3 FTW, now that there good games comin out 4 it

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Tsk, Tsk. Shameful words right there :p

Bollocks,

Ive had a ps3 since augast, and not one decent game is on it yet. Yeah they look nice but play like a 4 year old has made them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

is it not the pc5300 ram thats bottleneckin the oc?

is it not the pc5300 ram thats bottleneckin the oc?

Nope, with c2d cpu's/mobo's you can leave the ram at standard speeds and just overlcock the cpu.

oh yea, the "unlinked" thing. good good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

question for you actually seb, you had a neo-f as well didn't ya, I have ram at 667mhz and manual timings, but not matter what I do setting fsb to anywhere between 320 and 333mhz either doesn't boot, or locks up in windows. maybe it's just the crap board, but it really bugs me.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

intresting..

i just got a 6600 yesterday aswell and did some overclocking lastnight, i have a
    ASUS® P5N-E SLI (NVIDIA® nForce® i650) motherboard, it has auto overclocking and manual overclocking options, the auto overclocking can be set to 5% 10% 15% and 20%

yesterday i set it to 15% for a speed of 2.76Ghz

i ran 4 instances of Prime95 each with an affinity for 1 core for about 3 hrs, no errors or warnining (i know i should have run it longer, but i cant sleep with the PC on) max recoreded CPU temp was 45c max Motherboard temp was 39c..

im farily new to the over clocking scene, with these temps do you think i could push it a bit higher?

god yes, its chip is safe to over 75c

HavoK wrote: »
    question for you actually seb, you had a neo-f as well didn't ya, I have ram at 667mhz and manual timings, but not matter what I do setting fsb to anywhere between 320 and 333mhz either doesn't boot, or locks up in windows. maybe it's just the crap board, but it really bugs me.

yup, had that mobo.....SOLD IT. god i hated that mobo:mad:, i had the same problem, i taut it was cause ya couldnt up the voltage to the necessary level.i still dnt know, (i reckon its jus cause the mobo is better suited as a dartboard) but ya, i had exactly same problem. ( i even had to clear the cmos altogether )

Not a chance, hate sony and hate playstation, and im only getting a 360 to play with m8s online in COD etc :) PC FTW as far as games are concerned for me anyways

Nick

Advertisement