Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lowering my Insurance?

Options
  • 19-11-2007 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.
    Is there anyway that i could lower my insurance be it courses or advanced tests etc?

Im 18 and male, and as you can imagine my insurance is a joke. I have my full license but it hasn't lowered my insurance a whole lot.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

did you try the Hibernian Ignition course?
    http://www.hibernian.ie/direct/HibernianDirectWeb/ignition.jsp

I haven't tried it myself (They wont insure me on my massive and dangerous 2.0d corolla :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

What are you driving?
    If you reply saying Civic, it serves you right

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

1L Opel Corsa.
    Im insured under my father on the car and its pretty cheep as its only 1 litre.
    I will be gettin my own car and insurance in the new year though, probably on a 1.4 or 1.6. And i want to try make the price someway reasonable if possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Suddenly age until you're at least 27 or so, that should do it.

In all seriousness, and with no regard to whether you personally are a good driver or not, you fall into the high risk insurance category, and insurance is about premium vs risk so while you remain in the 18-26 or so bracket there's not a lot you can do about it.

In all seriousness, and with no regard to whether you personally are a good driver or not, you fall into the high risk insurance category, and insurance is about premium vs risk so while you remain in the 18-26 or so bracket there's not a lot you can do about it.

The only things you can do is lower the risk as much as possible and shop around for the best deal.
    Lower the risk by sticking to a 1.0/1.2 car and build up a NCB with it, IMO 1.6 @ age 18 and you might as well drop your pants and bend over for them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Yeah bad news is you just need to be older! 1.6 for an 18 year old your joking i hope.....

Stick with a 1L or 1.2 for 2 years or so, and dont have any accidents and then get a 1.4. You'll have plenty of time to drive bigger engines later ;)

Suppose waiting is my only option. Bit of a pitty really. I never really understood why a more powerful car is more dangerous. I can just as easy break the limit in a 1 litre car as i could a 1.4 or 1.6 might just take a bit longer to get up to the speed.

Strange world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Dr.Millah wrote: »
    Suppose waiting is my only option. Bit of a pitty really. I never really understood why a more powerful car is more dangerous. I can just as easy break the limit in a 1 litre car as i could a 1.4 or 1.6 might just take a bit longer to get up to the speed.

Strange world

A more powerful car will accelerate quicker than your 1L, so you will have less time to react.

But me being of a young age my reaction time is quicker than the 60 year old in his 3 litre machine or whatever.
    I suppose if it was cheep for all young people alot would abuse the power. Mess of a situation really.

"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely"

But me being of a young age my reaction time is quicker than the 60 year old in his 3 litre machine or whatever.

Being of a young age, you would overestimate your ability to handle said 3 litre machine because of a lack of experience. :D

Dont worry someday we will all have the sports cars we desire!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 stephenpl

Get third party, fire and theft if your car is oldish, that should save you a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

I never really understood why a more powerful car is more dangerous.

You should be made to pay even more just for saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

ring your insurance broker and ask about advanced drivers courses. this might help out. that hibernian thing sounds good. tbh i would stick with a small engine for a year or two and then go up to a 1.4l.
    how about an old mini cooper 1.3l,try a quote on that(have no idea what it would be...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

deecom wrote: »
    Yeah bad news is you just need to be older! 1.6 for an 18 year old your joking i hope.....

Stick with a 1L or 1.2 for 2 years or so, and dont have any accidents and then get a 1.4. You'll have plenty of time to drive bigger engines later ;)

yeah cant wait till i'm old enough to drive a high powered 1.6 renault laguna! :rolleyes:

mthd wrote: »
    yeah cant wait till i'm old enough to drive a high powered 1.6 renault laguna! :rolleyes:

No offence here, but if your 18 years old i think experience would be something you should be looking for, not the biggest engine you can get your hands on! Then off you go and get that high powered Laguna! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It depends on the car you're getting, ie: the more that people of your age bracket crash certain types of cars, the higher the premium. Yes, the premium willbe high anyway cuz you're 18, but i guarantee it will cost you less to insure a Galant VR-4 than a Civic. Why? Less VR-4's crashed!

Same for one of my mates. He wanted to get a GSR Lancer, but the insurance was crazy high cuz all the boy racers can't handle them and are crashing them. So, instead of a 1.8 GSR lancer, he got cheaper insurance in a 280BHP RWD Silva! Go fig!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

I did the ignition thing years back and remember that it brought my insurance down a fair bit.

Main thing is to shop around. Give yourself a few hours and ring every big insurance company in the yellow pages. When it gets to the stage where you have what you believe is a good quote, mention it to the next crowd you call. Surprising how quickly they can bring the price down when they want too.

(Sounding like an old man) Take it easy out there. You lot are high risk for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Any help would be appreciated.
    Like everybody else says, age quickly or shop around.
    I'm not in the same age bracket as you but I'm with the AA and they are great value. YMMV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

deecom wrote: »
    No offence here, but if your 18 years old i think experience would be something you should be looking for, not the biggest engine you can get your hands on! Then off you go and get that high powered Laguna! :D

i guess i should have put /sarcasm? :rolleyes:

mthd wrote: »
    i guess i should have put /sarcasm? :rolleyes:

I think i did! Maybe you didn't spot it! :D

Anyways, I really like those performance Laguna's!

(Goes off to sell S4 for Laguna.....)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Copper

Buy a >10 year old Fiat Chicicento for about €50 and park it up in your drive. Get it declared off the road so you don't have to tax it. Get it insured in your name with Quinn, and with your third party extension you can drive your dads car. Keep it for two years, you will then be 20 with 2 years no claims. Then get yourself whatever car you want. The Chicicento is only 900cc so its probably the cheapest car you can insure.

Advertisement