Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garage/Mechanics software?

Options
  • 19-11-2007 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭

Hey all I know I don't post over this side of the site much but I'm looking for assistance if those who have a good knowledge of cars;

A friend of mine has a garage in his house and does a lot of mechanic work. He says he knows of programs that you can buy that you load on the software and you can put connectors onto the car and the software gives you a read out of the problems of the car;

As I know about computers, I obviously know all about every type of program that has ever been made :rolleyes:.

So I'm looking for advise for any software anyone has any experience of software/systems that you have used in the past.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I use VAG-COM to diagnose my car. I bought it for my car to play around with a few settings and so I don't have to bring my car to the dealers anymore. It's available from http://www.ross-tech.com/
    It works on most VAG cars (i.e. VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda, Bentley)

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

OBDII is complient with most modern cars not just specific makes like the VAG software. But unlike the VAG you don't get an opportunity to change car settings like central locking and some other options. But you can monitor engine performance and fault find emission problems. Best part is it's available to use with a PDA.

Here's a link for ya. http://www.autoenginuity.com/ If you think it's useful let me know as I have the software and cables sitting under my stairs gathering dust I'd be interested in selling. Sold my PDA but not the diagnostic stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

fletch wrote: »
    I use VAG-COM to diagnose my car. I bought it for my car to play around with a few settings and so I don't have to bring my car to the dealers anymore. It's available from http://www.ross-tech.com/
    It works on most VAG cars (i.e. VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda, Bentley)

how much did it cost mate? Is it the official version? I think the old 4.91 version is freeware....

how much did it cost mate? Is it the official version? I think the old 4.91 version is freeware....
    I got it for €265 or thereabouts on a group buy over on http://uk-mkivs.net/ for the fully licensed version. It's very handy to have, already turned on anti-hijack locking, tweaked the wiper settings a bit and found a few faults with mates cars.

Edit - Oh and did a few timed 0-60 runs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd be interested in this myself seeing as my Passat has taken to throwing up various error lights/messages over the past few months, and I'm tired of having to shell out 40 quid (or more) to get the faults read. If anyone is setting up a bulk buy (as Fletch mentioned) let me know.

• Advertisement

I often wondered what garages were charging to carry out a diagnostics. It literally is a 5 minute job to do it once you have the cable/software(which is free once you have the cable) and a laptop. The group buy I got mine from must have been one of the biggest group buys ever, think we got 100+ people in the end! :eek:

@ endplate, how much did this software set you back? Sounds interesting. I might be interested in buying it? (well my friend wants a cable that will work with his car) Is there a list of cars available that it will work with?

Fletch: I've been looking at the Ross-Tech page you linked to. Is the $599 version the one you have? USB or serial? At current exchange rates it comes to about €408. Given the fact that it'd work on any VAG car (more or less, right?) and I'm thinking of an Audi next, it may be worth the investment. As well as reading errors, can it clear them? What other settings does it allow you to view/change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

id be interested in a group buy for this kaiser...maybe a sticky thread would be a good idea to gather some more people

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

I think about the €250 mark. It was a while ago around 2004. I still had to buy an adaptor cable to connect the diag cable with the Ipaq afterwards but that was only a few quid. The way I look at it is that PDA software hasn't changed a lot over the last few years so I think it would be still useful. Only problem with it was and Fletch you might know of this but the connector does not fit into the A4 model that finished in 2000 due to the way the casing on the car is made up around the connector

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I've got to say I'd be in for a group buy too, but if it supports BMW.

• Advertisement

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Fletch: I've been looking at the Ross-Tech page you linked to. Is the $599 version the one you have? USB or serial? At current exchange rates it comes to about €408. Given the fact that it'd work on any VAG car (more or less, right?) and I'm thinking of an Audi next, it may be worth the investment. As well as reading errors, can it clear them? What other settings does it allow you to view/change?
    I bought the HEX-USB+CAN. Yeh like yourself, I see myself sticking with VAG cars for a while so it was a worthwhile investment. Yes you can read and clear errors, graph any sensor in real-time(while you're driving), change lots of settings if you're brave enough(I generally find out what I want to do online before tackling it), 0-60mph tests, 1/4 mile test, change settings on wipers/central locking, windows (basically anything electric) :D etc etc
    endplate wrote: »
    The way I look at it is that PDA software hasn't changed a lot over the last few years so I think it would be still useful. Only problem with it was and Fletch you might know of this but the connector does not fit into the A4 model that finished in 2000 due to the way the casing on the car is made up around the connector
    I'm sorry I wouldn't know
    ned78 wrote: »
    I've got to say I'd be in for a group buy too, but if it supports BMW.
    Ross-tech are currently working on a software for BMW AFAIK, I think I read it on their site somewhere.
    Edit - http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_4.html, scroll to 4.11 Does Ross-Tech make diagnostic software for other makes of cars?

fletch wrote: »
    I bought the HEX-USB+CAN. Yeh like yourself, I see myself sticking with VAG cars for a while so it was a worthwhile investment. Yes you can read and clear errors, graph any sensor in real-time(while you're driving), change lots of settings if you're brave enough(I generally find out what I want to do online before tackling it), 0-60mph tests, 1/4 mile test, change settings on wipers/central locking, windows (basically anything electric) :D etc etc
    Cheers for that. Looking at that page it's €238 for the cable, and the software (and any future updates?) are then freely downloadable?

€238 seems well worth it for all it can do.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Cheers for that. Looking at that page it's €238 for the cable, and the software (and any future updates?) are then freely downloadable?

€238 seems well worth it for all it can do.
    Yes it's excellent value and the HEX-USB+CAN cable does all the new CAN based cars too (eg. MkV Golf). Yes the updates are free (I've already had one) and once you register the software you get support too.

It'll also be handy when you come to buy your next VAG car as you can bring it along and run a diagnostics on the car before you buy :D It also comes with a utility to check the mileage (not sure how accurate this is)
    edc15mileagepu3.th.png

Looks like the way to go.. the only concern then is import duty? Can you remember how much was added on?

I can't really remember, I was just given a final price for the product + delivery + import duties - discount.
    Here's the thread here if you want to have a read (think you need to sign up tho)

Advertisement