Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with cats?

Options
  • 19-11-2007 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi, any advice would be greatly appreciated

I currently have two cats but I am going to be heading off travelling in May/June next year but we have no one as yet to take them for us. We are going to be going for about a year, but I don't want to rehome them. Catteries aren't really an option, I worked in one for a while and saw that the cats are kept in the cages pretty much 24/7 so wouldn't subject them to that.

Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Long term foster? Log onto http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/ and ask there.

I'm sure there's plenty of good catteries out there and because you have time on your side you can get recommendations and visit the places yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I think your cats are in for a rough ride TBH, when you find somewhere for them, and they get over the shock of being re-homed (some cope better than others, try to keep them together) they'll settle in, all of a sudden you're back and re-homing them again. It wont be any consolation for them that they're going "home" as home for them will be the place they've been for the past year. If you seperate them they may not take to living together again easily and I dont know if they will remember your house or even you.

I have two cats and they are the reason I have not gone travelling, when I got them I knew I would have them forever. I dont know your circumstances, so I dont want to come accross too harsh but it's a responsibility having pets. Surely you should have considered something like this before you got them. I apologise if circumstance did not allow that and feel free to correct me. I know I only have part of the story.

I think it would be unfair to send them somewhere and then come back for them. Re-homing can be very traumatic for them. If you re-home them, and just let them get on with their lives they would be better off IMO. It would break my heart to do but it would be kinder on them in the long run.

Ideally a relative or friend could take them, then you could slowly introduce them to their new house with you there, bring them for visits!! Make sure they have their own space, leave them overnight occasionally etc then you can do the same when you come back. Otherwise, consider finding a good home for them.

Good Luck.

Advertisement