Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Topping up the Oil level on BMW 318 ci

Options
  • 19-11-2007 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi,

Was driving at the weekend and the yellow oil light came on. Checked the levels and was close to the minimum. I picked up some Castrol Oil which has the BMW Longlife FE on it. First off the BMW owner manual mentioned "BMW Longlife FE 01" for coupe models and "BMW Longlife FE" for 4 door. Halfords told me they never heard of the coupe one, just the standard FE oil. Has anyone come across this before, do you think the FE is OK for the car?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

just had car serviced at bmw dealer and he gave me a litre of oil as he says I would not be able to buy it in an ordinary shop???

but if you look the castrol site they will recommend and oil for your specific car that should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Yes, any motor oil is better than no oil. dont worry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭babel

RobAMerc, do you mind if I ask how much the litre of oil cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

sorry, it was included as part of the service - €180

I bought 4 litres of Castrol before and it came in around €70 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭babel

The owners manual also states that you should only top up the oil if it needs a small bit or else get the approved BMW oil if you need to add alot. Not sure what a bit is or what a lot is :) but do you put any weight in that state? i.e. could I be doing damage to the car by topping up the oil myself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

RobAMerc wrote: »
    sorry, it was included as part of the service - €180

I bought 4 litres of Castrol before and it came in around €70 I think.

Sorry, this is a bit old, but what BMW main dealer done a service for €180?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

Sorry, this is a bit old, but what BMW main dealer done a service for €180?

I'd like to know the answer to that one myself €180, its €140 an hour labour!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Castol does not cost 70 euro for 4 litres come on guys.
    Bought 4.5l high end quality Castol oil at Halfords for like 25 quids max.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

mick.fr wrote: »

Please tell me which Halfords this is because I got 4L of Castrol 10W40 magnetech this morning from my local motor factors for €35, and that was trade price!! The price on the docket said it should have been €50.

Did you buy like GTX 15W40 or something? Mineral oil for sure, definately not part synthetic?

I would definately say a good fully syntehtic could easily be pushing €70.

PaulKK wrote: »
    Please tell me which Halfords this is because I got 4L of Castrol 10W40 magnetech this morning from my local motor factors for €35, and that was trade price!! The price on the docket said it should have been €50.

Did you buy like GTX 15W40 or something? Mineral oil for sure, definately not part synthetic?

I would definately say a good fully syntehtic could easily be pushing €70.

That was a GTX 10W40, Halfords Blanchardstown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

That was a GTX 10W40, Halfords Blanchardstown

Sounds too good to be true.. I haven't seen the 4.5L ones around in a long time... they were the old black containers... the new ones are green and 4L. Quite a balls when my sump capacity is over 4L, you have to buy a rip off extra litre too :(

PaulKK wrote: »
    Sounds too good to be true.. I haven't seen the 4.5L ones around in a long time... they were the old black containers... the new ones are green and 4L. Quite a balls when my sump capacity is over 4L, you have to buy a rip off extra litre too :(

It was hidden at the bottom of the shelf.
    Most of the crapy brands were on the top, Halfords oils included.
    Mine is a white container, 4.5l, exactly the oil's capacity of my E36. Bought it one month ago.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

"High quality" oil costs a bit more than €25!
    €70 is at the upper end of the regular synth oil market pricewise. This obviously includes a few quid for BMW!

Advertisement