Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First ever website behaving most peculiarly...

Options
  • 19-11-2007 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭

Hi,

First posting in this forum, any help would be gratfully received. I have been working on my first site, a zen cart based shop, over the last while on a local xamp setup. I copied it up to the live site last night and some strange things are happening. Basically it looks like the main page isn't fully loading sometimes. If I hit refresh a few times it usually comes up - but I hit refresh a few more times the problem will probably happen again. The problem is the same in both IE and Firefox. The problem doesn't happen on any of the actual product pages. The problem also doesn't show at all on the local test setup.

I have posted the issue up on the Zen forums to no avail so far and also spoke to hosting365 who don't feel its a hosting issue at this stage. I'm at a loss as to how to proceed. Could anyone offer any pointers for further investigation? Anyone ever seen anything like this before?

The live site is www.giftbox.ie and I am attaching three pics with examples of it not loading and what it should look like.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
    C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Just as an FYI as I don't know zen or php but I'm getting this following text on the homepage in FireFox 2.0
    <!-- deprecated - to use - uncomment
    This is the main define statement for the page for english when no template defined file exists. It is located in: /includes/languages/english/index.php

Perhaps thats something work looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Hi,

Yes I noticed that a couple of times - my feeling is thats the same symptom, the php is getting stopped so early that its not getting to read the correct define for that text.

My instinct at this stage is that it might be the automatic thumbnailer im using baulking at the very large base image files im using. I'm in the process of reducing the base files down to more reasonable proportions...

Cheers,
    C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Hi,

Just to finish the thread, it was indeed the size of the base files i was using with the thumbnailer. Even though the thumbnailer is supposed to cache the resulting files I think some aspect of it was still slowed down by the large base images. Fixing this has everything to normal.

Thanks,
    C

Advertisement