Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

www.irishdrivers.org

Options
  • 19-11-2007 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Doing research on VRT, found this site, glad someone is being pro active.

The more people join the louder the voice.

Its about time we stopped being ripped off in this country.

I said it before, I dont mind paying higher fuel bills, at least then thats on a system of pay as you go.

Full link

http://www.irishdrivers.org/index2.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Those people are scary. We need a group somewhere between the AA and those bunch. TBH I think the AA will achieve more than them. They're lunatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The imposition of penalty points is a serious matter with long term consequences. Points are imposed on drivers detected doing 31 mph in a 30 mph zone. The penalty would be exactly the same if they were doing 45 mph.

That's fairly inaccurate. First of all, you'd have to get a Garda in a seriously bad mood to be pulled for doing 1mph over the limit. Second of all, even if you do get pulled for breaking the limit slightly, it's 2 penalty points for breaking the limit by a small amount and 4 penalty points for breaking the limit by a hefty margin (50% over I believe). So 45mph in a 30mph zone would get you 4 points.
    A speeding offence results in a fine and penalty points. A further penalty may be imposed by insurance companies, effectively punishing a driver three times for the same offence.

Premiums are based on risk. If you have more penalty points, it makes sense that you're a higher risk. Besides, increased premiums are a far better deterrant than a once off fine, and you have to work hard at being a serious muppet to earn a driving ban.
    The government propose handing driver's details directly to insurance companies. We believe this is illegal.

Better than people lying at the expense of the rest of us.
    A simple bulb failure attracts penalty points

No it doesn't.
    You can be fined and suffer penalty points for 'Poor Reversing'. Who decides?

The offence is:

"Failure to obey requirements regarding reversing of vehicles, e.g. reversing from minor road onto main road". Sounds clear enough to me.
    Your car can be seized for non-payment of road tax.

Doesn't happen often enough imo.

The only point I really agree with is this one:
    Failure to carry your driving licence attracts penalty points yet has nothing whatever to do with road safety.

A blown bulb should attract at least some attention form Traffic Corps. A lot of bad drivers I see tend to have badly maintained vehilces. I would think there is a connection.

As for the NCT and Road Tax BS. Sounds like they want to hold off on paying it to save a bit of cash. of course it should be back dated. Of course they should have to pay for it the same as the rest of us.

They will go nowhere supporting these rubbish causes. The pictures with Enda Kenny and Caoimhin O'Caolain are quite telling, the politicians look embarassed to be seen with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Best way to make your feelings on non free trade of good within the EU is if all motorists vote No to the next EU Treaty legislation, our "mates" in the other EU countries will quickly see it abolished if it's holding their new constitution up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

seems they aint done much since 2006 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Yet they don't mention the fact that we have 400,000 unqualified drivers on the road...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I note they're using old fashioned miles an hour, even though we've been using kilometres an hour for the best part of 3 years at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I considered joining irishdrivers when it first started up but now I'm glad I didn't. I'm a member of the AA instead. The AA are the best voice for Irish drivers at this point in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

Quote:
    Originally Posted by irishdrivers.org
    The imposition of penalty points is a serious matter with long term consequences. Points are imposed on drivers detected doing 31 mph in a 30 mph zone The penalty would be exactly the same if they were doing 45 mph.

That's fairly inaccurate.

It sure is inaccurate, as in the new rules of the road, the 30mph is now 31mph or 50kmph.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

DonJose wrote: »
    Yet they don't mention the fact that we have 400,000 unqualified drivers on the road...

Actually it would be more when you count all the people who bought their licence with no test taken during amnesty, scary people those

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Wow i read through their site.

Very nazi approach there.

I didnt realise that the AA had a lobby group.

See that the SIMI are saying that if the government got rid of the VRT, that this would actually reduce car sales in the new year. How do they figure that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

There's no way in hell irishdrivers.org are getting my 10 Euro. The guy drives a VW Caddy with cheap signwriting the length of the bible down the side of it. Most disorganised guy I've ever seen.

I think we should set up our own drivers interest group. A non-insane one.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Stark wrote: »
    The only point I really agree with is this one:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by www.irishdrivers.org
    Failure to carry your driving licence attracts penalty points yet has nothing whatever to do with road safety.

Agreed, particularly when your insurance company can load you because of it. Perhaps if the government introduced a more practical 'credit card' licence you could fit in your wallet, it wouldn't be such a problem.
    I'm a high-risk driver because I forgot to bring my licence with me :rolleyes:

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

not carrying your license does affect safety if it wastes gardai's time following up etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

deegs wrote: »
    not carrying your license does affect safety if it wastes gardai's time following up etc.

That's just ridiculous. By that logic, we should give Gardaí penalty points if they take an extra tea break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone click on the submission to Brian Cowen regarding the proposed tax changes

http://www.irishdrivers.org/letters/Irish%20Drivers%20Association%20Public%20Consultation.doc

100% rant. I can't belive the Dept gave it a first look never mind any consideration.

Mike.

Advertisement