Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Releasing another artists song and royalties

Options
  • 19-11-2007 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I'll be recording a few covers and releasing them as a promotional material for my band. We also will be hoping to get air-play on the local radio. I had been told from a reliable source that once the song is older than 10 years, I don't need to pay any royalties, but I've also heard that for broadcasting, the song must be older than 20 years to avoid royalties.

Can anyone help me out here? I don't know where to find this information.

thanks,
    merlin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Imro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

merlin_bar wrote: »
    I had been told from a reliable source that once the song is older than 10 years, I don't need to pay any royalties,
    ROFL :D
    If that was the case the music industry would have collapsed on itself.

www.imro.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Thanks Savman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

merlin_bar wrote: »
    I'll be recording a few covers and releasing them as a promotional material for my band. We also will be hoping to get air-play on the local radio. I had been told from a reliable source that once the song is older than 10 years, I don't need to pay any royalties, but I've also heard that for broadcasting, the song must be older than 20 years to avoid royalties.

Can anyone help me out here? I don't know where to find this information.

thanks,
    merlin

do you have the original artists permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭brettzy

If you are doing your own version of the songs then you need the permission of the artists (or label) that owns the rights.

If you get permission then you must submit a form to IMRO stating the owner of the songs and they will look after all the royalties for you.

You can try negotiate with the owner of the rights for a better percentage but unless you are a well known artist then chances are slim.

Call IMRO and they send you on all the information plus all the forms you need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement