Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened in the library today?

Options
  • 19-11-2007 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if it was just a fire drill in the James Joyce library or had someone set off the alarm? It happened around 1pm and the building was evacuated. If it was just a drill it was a complete failure, most people didnt use the fire exits and just went down the traditional exits and it took about 8-10 minutes for everyone to leave. Some people just remained at their desks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Yeah I was curious about that too. I did use the fire exit, but didn't rush... I wasn't leaving all my stuff behind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭smilingeyerish

sounds like a good distraction for some thief to go around and rob all the laptops that people would leave behind if it were a real fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

sounds like a good distraction for some thief to go around and rob all the laptops that people would leave behind if it were a real fire!

My laptop would be coming with no matter what...

Also, what happened when people went back in?
    I would've thought that you couldn't scan in your student card from outside the library twice without having scanned it to get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I presume the system logs everyone out when the alarm goes off as teh barriers go down and then those at the desk have fun for th rest of the evening with those who didn't leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

I've been in about 5 libro evacuations over the years, and not one was a fire, though there was one actual fire not too long ago. I just pick up all my gear and stroll out waiting for someone to think its 9-11 and break open the emergency doors (which they always do). Then come back in 15 minutes when its back open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

it was quite strange, i walked up to the library at about 2, and they were making everyone leave the whole building, nt just the library. i took it as a sign that my essay was not to be done!!

Advertisement