Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mario best game ever?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Why does this (and many other) amazing games have to be released so bloody close to my final college exams. But god damn its going to be a nice christmas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For me it would go to Mario Bros. 3 or Mario World depending on what mood I'm in. Mario Galaxy is edging Mario 64 as the best 3D platformer ever imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Looks pretty damn good alright. Would almost make me regret selling my wii. I'm not prepared to only own a console purely for the first party titles any more though. Nintendo has always lacked 3rd party support and the wii is no different.

Play Magazine
    10 out of 10

Profile Hardcore Gamer Magazine
    5 out of 5

Cubed3
    10 out of 10

Video Game Talk
    5 out of 5

TotalVideoGames
    10 out of 10

Thunderbolt
    10 out of 10

Games Are Fun
    10 out of 10

Armchair Empire
    10 out of 10

G4 - X-Play
    5 out of 5

GameTap
    10 out of 10

NintendoWorldReport
    10 out of 10

PALGN AU
    10/10

GameSpy
    5 out of 5

Eurogamer
    10 out of 10

GamePro
    5 out of 5

Deeko
    10/10

GamersMark
    9.9 out of 10

Gaming Target
    9.9 out of 10

Profile GameZone
    9.8 out of 10

GameTrailers
    9.8 out of 10

98.0%
    Site Profile AtomicGamer

11/16/2007

98 out of 100

98.0%
    Site Profile Game Informer

12/1/2007

9.75 out of 10

97.5%
    Site Profile Ngamer UK

12/25/2007

97 out of 100

97.0%
    Site Profile Official Nintendo Magazine UK

12/1/2007

97 out of 100

97.0%
    Site Profile IGN

11/7/2007

9.7 out of 10

97.0%
    Site Profile Cheat Code Central

11/14/2007

4.8 out of 5

96.0%
    Site Profile Wii Advanced

11/12/2007

9.6 out of 10

96.0%
    Site Profile Da GameBoyz

11/18/2007

9.5 out of 10

95.0%
    Site Profile ZTGameDomain

11/18/2007

9.5 out of 10

95.0%
    Site Profile GamerNode

11/14/2007

9.5 out of 10

95.0%
    Site Profile Gaming Age

11/13/2007

A

95.0%
    Site Profile Game Revolution

11/12/2007

A

95.0%
    Site Profile GameSpot

11/7/2007

9.5 out of 10

95.0%
    Site Profile UGO

11/5/2007

A

95.0%
    Site Profile Computer & Video Games UK

11/5/2007

9.5 out of 10

95.0%
    Site Profile 1UP

11/2/2007

9.5 out of 10

95.0%
    Site Profile gamesTM

12/1/2007

9 out of 10

90.0%

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah I was impressed with this game. Not having a Wii myself, I bought the game after seeing the absolutely insanely high reviews this game was getting. After firing up my housemates Wii I was indeed deeply impressed. Great graphics and a classic revamped soundtrack, simply yet addictive gameplay I got hooked surprisingly quick. So cool old school homages to the original game. Got it handed to the crazy developers of this game for imaging the playing environment. Very unique indeed.

I was going criticize the difficultly level seemingly too easy. But as I progress not only did is difficulty ramp up appropriately I was surprised again at the vast amount of content in this game.

Now I have never been a Mario fan when I was a kid I was always a Sonic the Hedgehog guy and I was astounded when I actually liked Super Mario 64. So I feel obligated to find fault with this game ;)

The very minor criticisms would be that their is not much voice acting to be found and the story is just an excuse to set Mario off on his adventure. (then again its really pointless criticizing a game like this for storyline reasons)
    Its a great game for any one into gaming of any age. However I doubt you will really have profound or deep experience while playing it.

Weather its the greatest game of all time, I personal don't think so. Would be pretty high though. But It is one superbly made game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'm having so much fun playing it! The level designs are insane!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

ill be interested to see what edge give it next issue. theyre usually rough on games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

edge, believable reviews?
    i dont think so, theyll give it 9, along with everything else thats released this month.

i never said beliveable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Edge review:

It looks gorgeous, has great soundtrack and is absolute unbridled joy to play just like Gunstar Heroes.

6/10

It also isn't Halo. If it had repetitive gameplay, an archaic multiplayer mode and a disgraceful excuse for a storyline we would be talking about a 10/10 game. As it stands we really just want to be controversial because our belief in our own boring pretentiousness allows us to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I am in love! Even brought my Wii to college for my stupidly long break today. This rules. So glad to have another gorgeous Mario game to play with. Have finished 64 and Sunshine far too many times so I'm delighted to have a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I must be the only person in the world that felt that mario 64 really just pissed me off?

And before you jump on me and try to take my heart retro...64 came out the same time as Nights (thereabouts) and I was up until the death of the dreamcast a bread and butter sega fanboy. But the dreamcast died and I bought a few nintendo consoles including a N64, but for some reason Mario 64 still wouldnt grow on me, Even bloody Sunshine got a fair whack from me, but everytime I pick up Mario 64, I play it for a bit but then develope a sudden craving to dig out my saturn and play Nights.

But I am still giving Galaxy a go...just played it for an hour there...Must say I am very much enjoying it...though it too is giving me a slate craving to dig out my saturn and play Nights...though I want to play Galaxy at the same time...So thumbs up from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

EDGE have given 10s in their last two issues (Halo 3 and The Orange Box), so I'd imagine they won't splurge on another one, because then they'd almost be doubling the amount of 10s ever given, all in the space of 3 issues!

Tempted to get a Wii now though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

NOTHING has ever managed to keep me grinning like an idiot for this amount of time.
    This game seems to be pretty much perfect IMO, I honestly can't think of any negative points apart from it taking away all of your 1ups after you reload a previous save... Even that is a moot point though, as the game isn't all that challenging and you don't really need a large cache of lives...

Gaming perfection.

the only thing i have been annoyed with rarely is the camera.

EDGE have given 10s in their last two issues (Halo 3 and The Orange Box), so I'd imagine they won't splurge on another one, because then they'd almost be doubling the amount of 10s ever given, all in the space of 3 issues!

Tempted to get a Wii now though...
    edge can give 10 whenever they like now since they changed the scoring system.
    10 used to mean revolutionary, now it means 10.
    see retr0gamers post for more detail ;)

to evad, i thought that by rough you meant honest and impartial,
    emperors new clothes as such.

all mario games get 9 in edge, except super mario bros (1) which got 10 when they gave it a retro review

back on topic, i cant play mario because im getting it as a christmas present.
    i want it now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

TOP 40 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE - INDIVIDUAL FORMATS (UNITS), WEEK ENDING 17 November 2007
    01 (__) [360] Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)
    02 (01) [360] Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision)
    03 (__) [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)
    04 (05) [NDS] Dr Kawashima's Brain Training (Nintendo)
    05 (__) [PS3] Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)
    06 (06) [NDS] More Brain Training From Dr Kawashima (Nintendo)
    07 (02) [PS3] Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision)
    08 (11) [PS2] High School Musical: Sing It! (Disney Interactive Studios)
    09 (03) [PS2] Wwe Smackdown Vs Raw 2008 (Thq)
    10 (04) [PS2] The Simpsons Game (Electronic Arts)

And number 8 in ireland charts.
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    Edge review:

It looks gorgeous, has great soundtrack and is absolute unbridled joy to play just like Gunstar Heroes.

6/10

It also isn't Halo. If it had repetitive gameplay, an archaic multiplayer mode and a disgraceful excuse for a storyline we would be talking about a 10/10 game. As it stands we really just want to be controversial because our belief in our own boring pretentiousness allows us to be.
    Yesterday 20:24

Because Marios storytelling is truly masterful, eh? And its multiplayer is great too eh?
    Halo 3 deserved its 10, get over it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

0ubliette wrote: »
    Because Marios storytelling is truly masterful, eh? And its multiplayer is great too eh?

Super Mario Galaxy's plot and multiplayer are practically non-entities: they're very slim and have no real bearing on the game at all. They're entirely irrelevant. Where Galaxy deserves to pick up its points is in it's intelligent, simple and wildly, wildly imaginative level design and the sheer amount of it. Of the 51 stars I've collected so far, each was won in a distinct, fun and inventive way. It's that great feeling of fun and invention that has me smiling all the time as I play it, has me itching to get the remaining 69 stars, and keeps me excited about the game even when I'm not playing it. That's why Super Mario Galaxy deserves ten.

Whereas Halo 3 was Halo 2, which was Halo 1, which was another-first-person-shooter, albeit one with some nice AI and a recharging shield.

0ubliette wrote: »

Neither does Halo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

SMG best mario game ever. game of year for me and since I cant come up with a contender that I enjoy or have enjoyed as much it gets best game ever title also! :)

it probably wont be surpassed for a long while either....thats the bummer of reaching the pinacle - it only goes down from here so enjoy it while it lasts :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    the only thing i have been annoyed with rarely is the camera.

I havent played it yet but my mate said after 10 mins he felt sick because of the angles. LOL (Same mate struggles to play FPS's, think he has motion sickness issues :rolleyes:).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Can someone explain to me how this can be as good as everyone seems to be saying?
    Its a platformer? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

subway wrote: »

You think thats bad, I can't play it cause week before last i had an accident and severed tendons in my left hand and know can't play any computer game for about a month. Oh, that and I don't have a wii, although what with all the good reviews this game is getting, I may just get one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

mcgovern wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me how this can be as good as everyone seems to be saying?

Its's just a platformer is like saying a Porsche is just a car or Jessica Alba is just alright. :D

There is no point in people telling you about how good it is, because it won't do it justice. :D Get this game, and count the number of times you say to yourself "that's so cool", "wow, thats really clever" or "aww...brilliant" etc etc.

I tried but lost count after the first galaxy (level).

No doubt best game of the year.

It could be a criminal offence NOT to buy this :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

subway wrote: »
    Exactly, stop the taunting! Despicable people. And the gf has hinted at Metroid also, so I can't get that either. Stuck with Paper Mario :| yar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

mcgovern wrote: »

You say that like it's a bad thing. Would you prefer it if it had stealth elements and a really bad driving level?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    For me it would go to Mario Bros. 3 or Mario World depending on what mood I'm in. Mario Galaxy is edging Mario 64 as the best 3D platformer ever imo.

I thought Panzer Dragoon Orta was the best game ever for you dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

You say that like it's a bad thing. Would you prefer it if it had stealth elements and a really bad driving level?

I got bored of platformers when I was 12, every one since (including the Mario's) has been more of the same, except usually worse.
    So what does this do thats new other than the spherical world/gravity stuff?

P.S. I'm sure you'll be glad to know I also don't particularly like stealth games or driving games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

WellyJ wrote: »
    I thought Panzer Dragoon Orta was the best game ever for you dude.

Panzer Dragoon Saga (I really shouldn't know that:p)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

tman wrote: »
    Panzer Dragoon Saga (I really shouldn't know that:p)

Saga then sorry,

Either way, im surprised he mentions Mario 3 above it here considering how many times i have seen him mention PDS as his favorite game ever.

Advertisement