Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In keeping with the transport theme running through the forum...

• 19-11-2007 6:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

Anybody on the Dunmore Road get caught by the new altered lanes at the hospital roundabout yet? To those not on that side of the city, its now left turn only in the left lane, and straight or right on the right lane (used to be left or straight in left lane and only right on right lane)

I think it changed last Friday but I had a feeling the general mayhem wouldn't occur until this morning, and I was right. Pity most people are too bleary-eyed to read the huge new sign post or the large letters on the road that hour of the morning :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

deise59 wrote: »
    Anybody on the Dunmore Road get caught by the new altered lanes at the hospital roundabout yet? To those not on that side of the city, its now left turn only in the left lane, and straight or right on the right lane (used to be left or straight in left lane and only right on right lane)

I think it changed last Friday but I had a feeling the general mayhem wouldn't occur until this morning, and I was right. Pity most people are too bleary-eyed to read the huge new sign post or the large letters on the road that hour of the morning :D

Its a very good idea. The right lane was never used during peak hours unless you're working in the hospital. Having said that.. I was wincing as I went into the right lane on the roundabout this morning, waiting for some sleepy driver to go into my passenger door coming off the roundabout. Thankfully, it didnt happen!

They really do need some sort of blingin flashy sign though just for the first few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

I think what should have happened was that a new filter lane should have been developed. The land behind the bus stop is actually owned by the council and should make use of it. Also the bus stop should be moved back as well not to obstruct any traffic. And of course we can go so far to say that if there were more bus runs from that side of town you would have less car traffic!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

shapez wrote: »
    I think what should have happened was that a new filter lane should have been developed. The land behind the bus stop is actually owned by the council and should make use of it. Also the bus stop should be moved back as well not to obstruct any traffic. And of course we can go so far to say that if there were more bus runs from that side of town you would have less car traffic!! :D

Check out what they're planning:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055184382

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

Ah yes, I'm afraid I was one of those who didn't spot the warning signs and stayed in the left lane to take the 2nd exit, got blasted out of it by somebody though (sorreeee).
    I bet there will be some minor accidents at that spot over the next week or so.
    That said, it goes against everything we are taught when learning to drive.
    Typical - making it all up as we go along.
    huh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

deise-lady wrote: »

Not unless you weren't taught correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Ah yes, I'm afraid I was one of those who didn't spot the warning signs and stayed in the left lane to take the 2nd exit, got blasted out of it by somebody though (sorreeee).
    I bet there will be some minor accidents at that spot over the next week or so.
    huh

there is a similar one at the RSC on the Inner Ring Road/Cork Road/Ashe Road Junction, and has been in situ years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Bards wrote: »
    there is a similar one at the RSC on the Inner Ring Road/Cork Road/Ashe Road Junction, and has been in situ years

maybe its just that folks on this side of town are better drivers and can handle lane changes etc.
    wonder will that comment start a d.r.t. vs top of the town war......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

To be fair I expect there was some mayhem on the N25/Inner ring road roundabout when it changed.

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Erm, where were the lane changes? I didnt spot anything and carried out them as usual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Sully wrote: »
    Erm, where were the lane changes? I didnt spot anything and carried out them as usual?

ignorance is bliss

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

SUNGOD wrote: »
    ignorance is bliss
    How ironic!

So, have you seen these changes or are you just being your usual sarcastic self? Its getting hard to tell.

Sully wrote: »
    How ironic!

So, have you seen these changes or are you just being your usual sarcastic self? Its getting hard to tell.

what ! me, sarcastic . yeah your right that ould sarcasim is hard to shake off. actually sully i wasnt really been smart ,well ok maybe i was just a little . i passed through the roundabout by ardkeen yesterday and didnt notice anything but i was headng from town out towards dunmore and i didnt come back in that way . i think its a great move as it frees up both lanes where as before the right hand lane to the hospital would have been empty during peak times . tha RSC roundabout is a massive success but it does go against the basic principles of most rondabouts so i can see how drivers unused to it could get confused

and by ignorance is bliss all i meant is if you didnt know you did wrong great it cant bother you

Fair enough. I came from town heading out towards ardkeen and didnt spot any signs. Then took the third exit towards the ORR. Must be blind, as its the second thing iv missed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

you'll only see the new sign when approaching the roundabout from the Dunmore Road side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

Kahless wrote: »
    Not unless you weren't taught correctly.

I was taught that on approaching a roundabout, I should enter the left lane to take either the 1st or 2nd exit, and enter the right lane if I intended to take the 3rd exit. (in this case, the hospital exit).

Was I taught incorrectly people?

I was taught that on approaching a roundabout, I should enter the left lane to take either the 1st or 2nd exit, and enter the right lane if I intended to take the 3rd exit. (in this case, the hospital exit).

Was taught the same way. Tis how I always operate, but iv seen plenty of eejits ignoring this rule so im always very cautious on roundabouts.

No, you were taught absolutely correctly; it's just that in situations where traffic flow warrants it, the council will switch the lane configuration so as to use the junction more efficiently.

In fairness, it's well signposted. I dunno, is it just me or do people not notice when new road signs are put up? Do they pay that little attention to the road? Must be the case, because I saw plenty of people using both lanes this evening.

Anyone know if it's had any impact on traffic flow, especially around 8.30? Suppose it's probably too early to tell, especially if people are still sticking to their old habits.

What you should have been told is that is the rule unless signposts or road markings say otherwise. Every day I see people ignoring signs and road markings and doing it like that where they shouldn't, at the roundabout at the end of the bridge.

Coming from Sallypark, the left lane is also for turning onto the left lane of the bridge. So many people take the right lane and change over while on the roundabout, where there is already traffic in the correct lane for that situation.

What you should have been told is that is the rule unless signposts or road markings say otherwise. Every day I see people ignoring signs and road markings and doing it like that where they shouldn't, at the roundabout at the end of the bridge.

Coming from Sallypark, the left lane is also for turning onto the left lane of the bridge. So many people take the right lane and change over while on the roundabout, where there is already traffic in the correct lane for that situation.
    Oh well thats common sense, at least to me. Would have read that in the Rules Book at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

See that roundabout on the bridge it sould be bombed and all those IDIOTS that drive on to it and stop blocking the traffic coming from town going to Ferrybank should have there cars taken away for pure stupidity. I'm surprised there hasn't been a serious pile-up at this roundabout yet

trishw78 wrote: »
    See that roundabout on the bridge it sould be bombed and all those IDIOTS that drive on to it and stop blocking the traffic coming from town going to Ferrybank should have there cars taken away for pure stupidity. I'm surprised there hasn't been a serious pile-up at this roundabout yet

Fair point. It has to be one of the most insane roundabouts in the country, although people seem to cope reasonably well with it despite that fact. Then again, people cope with this.

Kinda puts our little problems into perspective, huh? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

The bridge roundabout is madness all right, especially if you are trying to get out of the station!

The other one I find really bad is the one at superquinn, I use this every evening going home. I head right towards the RSC roundabout, so am going around to the 3rd exit and some idiot going straight through always pulls out in front of me and is surprised then when they get blown out of it! It's yield to the right, they think they can pull out fast enough, but because I'm on the inside and on a tighter circle I go around faster and they end up beside me so I have to let them go or end up into the side of them, drives me mental!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

trishw78 wrote: »

Idiots who drive onto ANY roundabout blocking the exits/entrances should have their cars taken away. Causes chaos at all roundabouts this happens at - the ardkeen roundabouts, the folly roundabout, the RSC roundabout, the bridge roundabout. Only takes one eejit to block a yellow box and create a traffic jam, and boy are there a lot of eejits about.

That bridge roundabout annoys me too, the amount of people either in the righthand lane approaching from sallypark and then who blithely cross over to the lefthand lane across the bridge nearly ramming into people using the correct lane, or the amount of equally stupid people in the lefthand lane coming in from ferrybank turning onto the bridge who see you already on the roundabout, but who creep out slowly ahead of you (as if they're invisible stealth vehicles or something) causing you to stop to avoid hitting them is utterly insane. Also seems to happen at the folly roundabout - cars coming onto it from the John's park side seem to think they have the right of way and keep going no matter how many cars are already on the roundabout.

Grrr it's my biggest bugbear on the roads, can you tell!
    Jesus just take a second to get onto a roundabout safely and wait your goddamn turn rather than being too impatient and causing near misses.

Fricatus, that video has given me the shivers. Imagine that in Waterford!! There's be no-one left on the roads - all the cars would be wrecked and the WRH would be full to the brim.

As I was leaving WIT yesterday I drove down to the traffic lights.. in front was a yellow box. I knew if I moved any further id have to stay in the box as traffic in front was heavy. So I waited until the traffic cleared, giving me a spot to move forward without blocking it.

The old folk behind me kept beeping at me. I just ignored him, and made sure I didnt rush away when space came. Some ignorance - clearly didnt know the rules of the road.

It's amazing how some people get a licence. But then I suppose a lot of idiots got them back (in the '80's?) when they were thrown out like confetti, no test required.

I know someone who thought the hatching in the centre of the road on the way into Carrick was for parking cars in, so he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm surprised a pedestrian hasn't been killed yet while trying to use the lights to cross from the bridge (Sallypark side) to the train station.

I pressed the button and when the green man came on I couldn't cross the road because all the drivers coming off the bridge drove through the red light and any pedestrian that would have stepped out onto the road would have been mown down. It frightened the daylights out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

That would have been incentive for me to stand out infront of them and then sue the living be jasus out of them for hitting me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

deisemum wrote: »
    I'm surprised a pedestrian hasn't been killed yet while trying to use the lights to cross from the bridge (Sallypark side) to the train station.

I pressed the button and when the green man came on I couldn't cross the road because all the drivers coming off the bridge drove through the red light and any pedestrian that would have stepped out onto the road would have been mown down. It frightened the daylights out of me.

That's absolutely ridiculous, that road is scary even when you do have a green light to cross, you really have to be careful all right. The other place that's dodgy for pedestrians is ballybricken on the zebra crossings, a good few times when I've stopped to give pedestrians right of way some asshole behind me has blown at me for stopping! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

deise59 wrote: »

They should do the same thing at the roundabout for Tesco on the ORR (Ardkeen direction). There is a left lane for straight on and left turns, plus a right lane where there is no right turn. Make the left lane left only, and the right lane for straight on and U-turns.

Advertisement