Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contraversial books

Options
  • 19-11-2007 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I have recently tried to sell a copy of Mein Kampf printed in 1936 which I have to say was a good read if only for the reason of trying to comprehend why Hitler done what he did. I have to say I just think he was nuts. The commments that were posted were to say the least "strong" opinions. I didn't think that the book was so contraversial nowadays. Some people said that I should burn it & argued that it was incitement to hatred. is the book still deemed to be extreme or am I being naive? I have checked & this book is available in libraries & bookshops. Comments appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

hannah00 wrote: »
    I have recently tried to sell a copy of Mein Kampf printed in 1936 which I have to say was a good read if only for the reason of trying to comprehend why Hitler done what he did. I have to say I just think he was nuts. The commments that were posted were to say the least "strong" opinions. I didn't think that the book was so contraversial nowadays. Some people said that I should burn it & argued that it was incitement to hatred. is the book still deemed to be extreme or am I being naive? I have checked & this book is available in libraries & bookshops. Comments appreciated.

I have a copy sitting on my book shelf waiting to be read , I got it a while back (in easons) and just haven’t gotten around to reading it , some narrow minded people think it controversial , but the majority of people reorganize it’s significance as a historically significant piece of literature whilst it is still read by white supremacists (normally not the full version of the book) the majority of people that buy it are Jewish scholars . (I was surprised when I heard that as well)

Tell me how much where you looking to sell the book for ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hannah00

I am selling it on adverts.ie for €50 which is what I paid for it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Some discussion has taken place among the adverts moderators on this topic.

First off, I'd ask that people refrain from discussing this issue on adverts.ie as it is not intended as a discussion forum, and OT posting there may carry a banning at the discretion of the mods there.

The gist of the thread as discussed by the Amods (and an admin), was that the book has historical value. We shouldn't fall into the trap of rewriting history, just because it is unpalatable, to say the least. Perfectly normal people collect military memorabilia, which doesn't mean that they find war and its baubles appealing.

We should not forget the mistakes of the past, nor should we erase them from history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Its perfectly acceptable as a historical text. Libraries and bookshops have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

forgive me If I'm not entirly correct with my historical fact, I could look up the exact details but I really couldn't be bothered.

This book was written in 1936 and it wasn't a best seller by any stretch of the imagination. Therefore it couldn't be "War Memrobrilia".

After I saw this for sale I did a quick internet search and its available for sale in several places .

I feel if you're going to be so narrow minded that you can't see the historical value of a book like this then you should also have a problem with The Bible, The Koran, The Communist Manifesto and The Little Red Book and so opens another can of worms

• Advertisement

Who are you directing those comments to?

The consensus of this thread (and the moderator discussion) is in line with both my post above, and the second sentence of yours.

The OP was merely soliciting opinion, which they are quite entitled to do, and which could make for an interesting discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

forgive me If I'm not entirly correct with my historical fact, I could look up the exact details but I really couldn't be bothered.

This book was written in 1936 and it wasn't a best seller by any stretch of the imagination. Therefore it couldn't be "War Memrobrilia".

The book was published over ten years earlier than that (vol. 1 in 1925, and vol. 2 in 1926) as put forward by a rudimentary search of Wikipedia. Which was also just before Hitler's rise to power iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

"The commments that were posted were to say the least "strong" opinions. I didn't think that the book was so contraversial nowadays. Some people said that I should burn it & argued that it was incitement to hatred."

My comments were directed at the "people" mentioned by the OP.

I stand corrected on dates etc etc.

A book in itself is not an instrument of hatred unless you're going to throw it at someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think its ironic that some people would like to see this book burned/destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Lemming wrote: »
    The book was published over ten years earlier than that (vol. 1 in 1925, and vol. 2 in 1926) as put forward by a rudimentary search of Wikipedia. Which was also just before Hitler's rise to power iirc.

If memory serves me correctly both vol's where combined before the first English translation was written , hannah00 it is probably heavily edited form the original text so you might find it interesting to pick up a modern copy that is a direct translation of the original German version for comparison , at 50euros I am tempted but unfortunately Im in the process of saving every cent I have for a set of wheels:( (I need them for work) If you haven’t sold it I might be in touch in the new year:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭markw999

There's a copy on easons.ie for EUR26.80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Morlar wrote: »
    I think its ironic that some people would like to see this book burned/destroyed.

An excellent point made there

Very true, Fries-with-that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

We have a copy of Sa;man Rushdie's 'The satanic verses', I haven't read it yet and i don't think i would read it on the train home at the weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Suddenly "Brick Lane" by Monica Ali is now deemed controversial, gimme a break!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

We have a copy of Sa;man Rushdie's 'The satanic verses', I haven't read it yet and i don't think i would read it on the train home at the weekends.

Tough enough to read, I found. Good though. The controversy over it is fairly silly, in my own opinion.

Advertisement