Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games crashing..

Options
  • 19-11-2007 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi all, I recently bought a new graphics card (an MSI 8600GTS) and have just installed it today. The only problem is once I get about 10 seconds into a game, the game crashes. Not to desktop, but it stops working and the sound loops. I was wondering what could cause this. I took off the case, and lowered the details and the game worked fine. Does this mean I need more cooling? if so, where can I get it, and what's it gonna cost? (I already spent 160 on the card, and 50 on a new PSU :( )

Thanks in advance,

Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Make sure its seated correctly on the mobo and all power cables are connected to the card. Finally update your display drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭alan_simon

i cracked open the case and the card is seated fine. I switched power supple just in case it was a dodgy one that i had plugged into the card. And the drivers are the latest nVidia has.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

What is the wattage of your PSU?

Its a 450W brand new sharktoon psu. I was trying to play a game there, and before one of the levels loaded the computer stalled, bluescreened (there was a lot of info on the blue screen and I was unable to read it) and then rebooted. Is it a faulty GPU? Or a cooling issue.

Cheers,

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Have you overclocked anything?

• Advertisement

nope, I wouldn't know enough about computers to overclock:p the card is factory overclocked, but I would have thought the dirty big fan on it would have taken care of any heat. My CPU is running at 47 degrees, and using nVidia monitor the max reading I was getting was 52 degrees on the GPU. So what do you reckon? Faulty card or too hot?

This is really starting to annoy me. The system boots up fine, runs fine, performs grand in nVidia stability tests, got me a much improved score on PC Mark 05, but it still crashes when I try to play a game!! any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 footfall

Had similiar problems with my last 2 video cards i bought...GE7950GT and a GE8800GTX....
    Spent months trouble shooting the GE7950...replaced motherboard same problem, reinstalled OS same problem, tried every driver available same problem....games would hang with black or corrupter screen, sound would loop....sometimes i could get it back to desktop...other times i would have a display driver detected a fault warning in windows error....sent it back and the new working without a problem.....
    Then i bought a new GE8800 and similiar game hangs and blue screens...problem was much worse in Vista than XP...Was'nt going to waste months this time...brought it back 4 days later..............new card no more problems.......:D

Id say bring back and report it as an intermittant display fault and get a new one ASAP...
    PS.....make sure you have all the info required because first thing they normally say is... its heat problem or software problem !!!!!......even go a little over the top if needed....you know like , a couple of times it had a corrupted post screen etc etc .....

Cheers footfall, I just arranged to send it back to dabs. But due to them re-pricing the card (it went up 30 quid since I bought it) their just gonna refund me and leave it at that. So now I have 160 odd quid to spend on a new GPU. Any ideas guys?

Cheers,

Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 footfall

In that price range have a look at the new ATI cards.....3850 --- 155 euro's
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=342319

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/AMD-Radeon-HD-3800,review-29753.html

read through the 21 pages of the review.....

The card is faster that the 8600GTS and a slower than the 8800GTS 320mb.

Looks good for the price ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement