Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Boiler Problem

Options
  • 19-11-2007 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hello,

Has anyone had the error message F4 accompanied by a flashing red light come up on the Glow Worm gas boiler. The model itself is the 18si.

To start the light is green and all seems well. But if i put the rad's on, it works for a few mins then this message pops up. The gas fire works perfectly, and the bill has been paid before anyone asks.

Any idea's? thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NarkyBoots

It could be that your water pressure isn't high enough. It needs to be above 0.5bar but not above 1.8 bar. You can fill your boiler using the valves in your hotpress. You need two of you to do this, one at the boiler to yell stop as the other one opens the valve upstairs. I have a buttons and dials one and not an electronic display so I'm not familiar with your problem. That's just what we've had to deal with in the past when there was a red light on.

I'm sure someone else on here could give you a definitive answer to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 stukin

ok this may sound crazy but the day in question was the only day i can remember where there was extremely high winds hitting my balcony (where the outlet is.) The prevailing wind normally comes over the building. The gas boiler is a flue system - so maybe just maybe there could be some connection. The gas fire worked all day, and the next day everything was fine - no need for a call out. This is just a guess at what happened but if the same happens to anyone else and you/they are worried about it get on to the gas board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

No, I think that sounds logical. If the wind was blowing straight at the flue outlet. It may have caused an airlock which caused the temporary problem.
    Sorry, that last sentence was pure BS, but I think you know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Clifford Chance

Hi

Have just read this now and think I can help you. We have this problem with our gas boiler (same as yours) on an ongoing basis. Basically we get the same reading and we have to run upstairs to the hot press to turn the valve to increase the water pressure again. You could be right in that the cause is due to high winds - don't know the reason. Once the pressure is brought back up, it's fine again for another while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Basically we get the same reading and we have to run upstairs to the hot press to turn the valve to increase the water pressure again
    Yes I have had this problem also and increasing the pressure does the job. If you have a tiny leak you will have to do this more often.

When I say a leak, 1/2 an egg cup full of water escaping from the system will cause a major pressure drop in the system and will prevent the boiler from firing.

Get someone to look at the pressure gauge will you increase the pressure by turning the valve handle by 90 degrees. Set it to about 1.5 bar.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Clifford Chance

On a slightly different matter - we had our gas boiler serviced recently by An Bord Gais and it seems we have an internal leak.

We used to get a smell of gas in the kitchen on occasion which did get stronger when we had the fire lit but when we said it to the builders when we moved in - they said they couldn't smell anything. As a result we never did anything about it.

We mentioned it in passing to the service engineer and he said that there was definitely a leak so now we have the cost of getting this fixed.

I suppose it's too late to try (over two years now) and get the builder to pay for this - any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CSheener

All i can say is if you have any problems - ring Durkans. Since we moved in we have had so many probs with our house.....and i always said we've been here over a year theres no point in ringing the builders!!!

Well after arriving back after a week away at Crimbo to be greeted with no heating and a stink of sewage when i walked in my front door - i can tell you i rang one of the guys from Durkans in a complete rage!!!!

Heating was fixed by 2 days later. It was the electrical box where you set your times etc. Guy put in a complete new one and said they are fixing them all over Charlesland.

So call the builders.

Advertisement