Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nokia n95 & Meteor sim card

• 19-11-2007 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi
    My brother gave me a n95 which he says was bought sim free...but when i put in my meteor sim card the phone keeps throwing up the message 'sim card registration failed'...

The phone still works fine except obviously i cant make/recieve calls

Anyone know what might be my problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's sim locked, so he probably bought it sim free at a rediced price from some network who locked it to their own network. He needs to ring the network he bought it from to get the NUC (Network Unlocking Code). Or, if you try t'internet you might be able to find a Nokia Unlocking Tool...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Das Ice

If someone bought a Nokia N95 with vodafone bill pay. Would i be able to unlock it and use a pre-pay meteor sim card in it?

I know this might sound stupid but i need to know before i buy it !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

"sim registration failed" suggests it's a sim problem dude - without having any other info to work on i'd assume either the card itself is damaged or the account status aint active. the handset wouldn't get that far from startup if it was network locked.

also now that i think of it there is also the possibility that the IMEI is blacklisted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Das Ice wrote: »
    If someone bought a Nokia N95 with vodafone bill pay. Would i be able to unlock it and use a pre-pay meteor sim card in it?

yes it would work no problem once you unlocked it...You could switch to vodafone pay as you go and use it straight away without unlocking and you'd have a 3G network to go with your 3G phone;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

It's sim locked, so he probably bought it sim free at a rediced price from some network who locked it to their own network. He needs to ring the network he bought it from to get the NUC (Network Unlocking Code). Or, if you try t'internet you might be able to find a Nokia Unlocking Tool...

i realise you made this post days ago but anyway...

that message doesn't mean it's sim locked, it means the phone couldn't register on the network. OP, your sim is likely too old to work in an n95, go to a meteor store and get a free replacement sim. make sure to save your contacts from the old sim first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Das Ice wrote: »

yes you would. the person who owns the bill would have to call vodafone and request the unlocking code.

btw, meteor is also a 3g network but it's not very widespread yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

yes it would work no problem once you unlocked it...You could switch to vodafone pay as you go and use it straight away without unlocking and you'd have a 3G network to go with your 3G phone;)

Considering the "location" ays Dublin they'd be much better sticking with Meteor and using their far superior (for now) 3G network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

id say the phont is more than likely blacklisted ie stolen, sim card registration failed, even if the sim was too old it would still read it but with poor signal not completly fail to read it

Advertisement