Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Broadband in Sligo Town

Options
  • 19-11-2007 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Can anyone recommend a decent Wireless Broadband Supplier for Sligo Town (ish). The one I'm with at the moment is a nightmare.

Otherwise I won't be able to post near as much. :o

Goodbye friends...been nice knowing you all....

P.S. Gillie, should replies be by PM, due to advertising?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Where abouts? Some wireless providers only offer it in certain areas. Also why wireless? Can you not get dsl.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

have you thought about using any of the mobile broadband suppliers

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

irish-stew wrote: »
    have you thought about using any of the mobile broadband suppliers

I'd only use them as a last resort myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

sueme wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Can anyone recommend a decent Wireless Broadband Supplier for Sligo Town (ish). The one I'm with at the moment is a nightmare.

Otherwise I won't be able to post near as much. :o

Goodbye friends...been nice knowing you all....

P.S. Gillie, should replies be by PM, due to advertising?

Company names are ok and websites. As long as ye don't start slagging off different companies.
    PM me with the details of the one you are with. I will tell you if there are other options then.

Incidently I use o2 BB (as well as Eircom (Wired, Office) and BT (Wired, Home).

The o2 isn't bad but I don't know how expensive it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I'm currently with Fastcom,at first it wasn't great but now I dont really have any complaints,although sometimes it can be a bit slower than what broadband should be,its great having wireless,I'm currently in the kitchen:D

At the beginning though I was with Smart Telecom and they were rubbish,have nothing but complaints about them,so that never got off the ground

• Advertisement

bobcar61 wrote: »
    At the beginning though I was with Smart Telecom and they were rubbish,have nothing but complaints about them,so that never got off the ground

Do a search of the broadband forum for smart. There are nothing but good things said about them over there. I'm in the process of convincing my mum to move to smart. For the price of our 2Mb broadband we can get 7Mb with smart. The fact that it's uncontended and has no download limit doesn't mean much now but I'm sure it will some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Well I didn't even get the broadband, I didn't even get the service,it was ridiculous. I always got told it would be next week before I got broadband and I was charged for a service I didn't have.
    I had signed up as one of the first 300,00 customers offer they had,I got so annoyed with them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I'm currently with Fastcom,at first it wasn't great but now I dont really have any complaints,although sometimes it can be a bit slower than what broadband should be,its great having wireless,I'm currently in the kitchen:D

I am a smart customer in Sligo myself, great value, great speed, no contention. Had the same problems as you in the start as Eircom were mesing them around with the transfer. I stuck with it and was rewarded with a great BB service. Your problems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Sorry, maybe the term I used was wrong. I don't want to have to pay for phone line rental at home. I pay for 3 mobiles and landline in work, I'm hoping to get err... dsl or wireless at home. I looked at Smart but I think I need a landline. I'll check out the rest. Many thanks for all your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

OT i know but the Statoil garage in Cartron Hill is a bitbuzz hotspot if anyone is ever stuck for Wifi broadband access. Saved my bacon last year when I needed to logon on Christmas day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Saved my bacon last year when I needed to logon on Christmas day!

Online Off License Drinks Order?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Gone with a Sligo based company. Hope it works out well. Thanks for all your help guys. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

This reply is too late for you, OP (sorry) but someone else with the same query may find this thread so........

I'm using Digiweb Metro, 3Mb cable broadband since October. An aeriel was installed on our roof and the cable was brought indoors. We were supplied with a modem & we connected our own wireless router to it. It's working very well so far, no complaints here. The main mast is in Cairns (you'll need a direct "line of sight" to the mast in order to get a proper service, that will be done prior to installation).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

This reply is too late for you, OP (sorry) but someone else with the same query may find this thread so........

I'm using Digiweb Metro, 3Mb cable broadband since October. An aeriel was installed on our roof and the cable was brought indoors. We were supplied with a modem & we connected our own wireless router to it. It's working very well so far, no complaints here. The main mast is in Cairns (you'll need a direct "line of sight" to the mast in order to get a proper service, that will be done prior to installation).

Agree, but you left out the fact that it took nearly 3 weeks (and me complaining on the phone for a week of that) for them to come out and install it. Granted it was a busy time of year (the students having just moved in and all) but in the interest of full disclosure!

Once it's up and running though, everything is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Tru dat, blud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I just hope you didn't go with the crowd we are with, its off more then its on.
    We complain and get nowhere, we can't go with anyone else because of where we live.

Advertisement