Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mashed Potato

• 19-11-2007 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am just wondering if you can freeze mashed potatoes? If you can how do you reheat them?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Yea, here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Yeah I freeze leftover potatoes in freezer bags. No problems

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

freezing mash,god that sounds wrong,other potatoes yeah but mash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've never frozen mashed spuds myself. My freezer is usually chock-full & for something as cheap as spuds it would be a waste of space.

I would have thought that with the high water content that it would be slushy muck when thawed. Maybe not if they had been mashed with plenty of butter. It would probably be OK for thickening soups or stews, but I wouldn't fancy eating it as mash again.

As for reaheating frozen mash - I'd say a microwave would get the best (for want of a better word) results. If you don't have a microwave - put the spuds on a plate (covered with another plate) & place on a pot of simmering water for 30 mins or so. Don't let the pot boil dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Thanks for the replies guys, I enjoy cooking most thing but mashed potatoes. I was thinking of making a double portion next time I cook them. Worst case I could use them for a pie of some sort.

I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can buy bags of frozen mash now, so should be OK. Croqeutte potatoes are made with mash and available frozen for years too.

I would sooner cook and freeze them whole, then microwave and mash there & then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I've never frozen mashed spuds myself. My freezer is usually chock-full & for something as cheap as spuds it would be a waste of space.
    Yeah totally. I would also imagine that the effort and forward planning of defrosting the mash would be even more hassle than making them fresh.

Having said that though, I have frozen mashed potatoes before but they were on Shepherd's Pie in individual portions. They could then be cooked from frozen and they tasted fine.

Advertisement