Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cooling fan stopped

Options
  • 19-11-2007 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Car is 2002 BMW 316i, the coolant indicator was on this morning and off after 5mins driving.

I was sitting in the car and waiting for my friend in town and left engine on about 10mins, some kind of steam came out from coolant cap and I can feel the whole car is shaking.

I let it cool down after about 2hours and went to a garage on rathgar ave. they put some water in it and told me the cooling fan is not working.
    Cos it is Toyota garage, so they won’t check what exactly is going on with the fan. I was told batter off go to BMW dealer to check it out.

Anyone has any idea that any good garage can sort problem like that and not cost me arm and leg?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Mother of god..
    Most probably they sent you on cos they'd rather only work Toyota's..
    Any decent mechanic should be able to sort this....

Go to a BMW garage surely... However I'm sure if you give your location someone here will recommend a mechanic to sort this out..
    cheers
    bam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 LuciferGary

bbam wrote: »
    Mother of god..
    Most probably they sent you on cos they'd rather only work Toyota's..
    Any decent mechanic should be able to sort this....

Go to a BMW garage surely... However I'm sure if you give your location someone here will recommend a mechanic to sort this out..
    cheers
    bam

thanks bbam

i live in rathgar, please anyone can recommend a good mechanic to fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Try Dave Curry's on Harrison Row (behind Comans).

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

and now for the bad news :-(

I had this same problem about a month ago on my car, 2001 320, cost 590 to get it fixed at Keary's BMW in Cork - steep but I needed it done quickly.

A decent mechanic should be able to do it for a lot less if he can get the part.

Brian

and now for the bad news :-(

I had this same problem about a month ago on my car, 2001 320, cost 590 to get it fixed at Keary's BMW in Cork - steep but I needed it done quickly.

A decent mechanic should be able to do it for a lot less if he can get the part.

Brian

oh hell no!
    i say it may cost more in dublin right?
    i will go to dealer and c what they say.

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote: »
    Try Dave Curry's on Harrison Row (behind Comans).

i'll find it out man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

This could be a an easy fix or a f**ked engine, I wouldn't drive it til I got it sorted, could be as simple as a thermastat (20 -30 euro for the part) but if you drove it to the point of overheating you might have fried the engine. (hopefuly not) Get a good mechanic to look at it even if you have to go to BMW stealers, try a recommended garage first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bonham23

i wouldn't go to a main dealer. It could be a number of things..thermostat,viscous coupling,leak in the radiator,damaged watgerpump. Try AC autos on south circular rd. I have used them and found them excellent. A main dealer will charge through the nose even if it is something as simple as the thermostat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Yeah, Id recommend AC car sales as well.

If they said the fan is gone, they probably are refering to the vicous fan coupling in the centre, which if it has failed, wont spin as fast as it should, hence not cooling the rad sufficiently. Hopefully the steam was from the vent valve near the expansion tank only.

From you OP, I hope you didnt drive the car for another 2 hours after these symptoms cropped up.

Advertisement