Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tongue piercing

Options
  • 19-11-2007 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

I am turning 17 on wed, i have been thinking about getting my tongue done, i have always liked these piercings, but i dont want my parents to find out, i have 2 friends that pierced their tongue, they didnt have that stupid mumbling problem after getting it done, my question is, is it easy to hide, and is it painful(i know their is a chance i cant get it done)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Hello!! I hid mine for a while coz I was still livin at home at the time. But it may be difficult to hide if your speech is affected. Everybody heals differently. I heard that its really hard to talk, eat..etc.. but it wasn't! It really only feels similar to a tense muscle pain, just near your chin and the worst of it is over within three of four days. Suprisingly painless, don't worry! It's also a dream for healing!! Just take good care of it, use a non alcoholic mouthwash and you should be fine. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I could be wrong but I think you have to be 18 to get this piercing done. You may encounter trouble getting a studio to do it for you, and to be honest, any piercer who is willing to pierce a minor isn't worth going to.

I have my tongue done as well. It was swollen for two weeks pretty much with the first week being difficult to eat and talk. I was living on Instant mash potato and ice-cream for two weeks. After the second week, once it was healed and the swelling was gone I changed the bar to a 14mm instead of the original 20mm, as I kept biting down hard onto it and damaging my teeth every time I ate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

wait till you're 18
    i have 2 friends that pierced their tongue

stupid if you mean they pierced their own
    that stupid mumbling problem after getting it done

I know absolutely no one who has a stutter from it, barre the few days of swelling just after gettin it done.
    is it easy to hide

no, laughing, eating, yawning, it gets seen, far more noticable than I ever thought until I had one, and than other people think
    is it painful

not in the least, feels odd when the needle breaks the skin on the top of the tongue, and gets tender etc for the few days after getting it done.

Frankly your friends are stupid to have done it themselves, IF they did but that is what I gather from your post. There are veins that pass different ways through different peoples tongues, hence why some people can't get their tongue pierced.

It will be noticed, for various reasons. No matter what you try. Trust me. I tried hiding it.

And since you're only 17, you'll need parental consent in almost all good/reliable piercers, and by consent a lot of them like to have the parent come in with the customer, ie have your mam/dad come with you when you get it done, but since you don't want your parents to see it, you don't want them to know, ergo no parental consent.

Just wait till your 18, makes things much less complicated, I wanted mine done since I was ten, knew my mam would go nuts if I did so got it done when I turned 18, she didn't like it and my nan didn't speak to me for two weeks but it's been accepted now! No problemo!

Yeah that's very true, I shoulda mentioned that before too. Seriously, wait til you're 18. Anybody willing to pierce somebody who's underage is obviously not very professional. Though I can think of one or two places who will, I recommend you avoid them at all costs. My 15 year old cousin ended up in casualty last week after some gimp claiming to be a professional pierced her tongue. Wait til you're old enough and get it done someplace genuine. Good luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭McFearless

iv had mine done for 5 years,got it done when i was only 16,just done,my parents got over quick enough.Does anybody else totally forget that they have it done?its only when ppl say it to me that i kinda of go 'oh ye,4got about that',haha i used to have one of thoese vibrating ones!!

• Advertisement

Huh?? I've never seen vibrating ones... that's weird!! Haha... Yeah I sometimes forget I have it too, particularily when I've got the tiny plastic ones in!! :p seee... haha

you can get the vibrating ones in Miss Fantasia's...€50...so cool!

as for forgetting it, I don't forget about it so much as feel wrong and weird with it out...

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭McFearless

Le Rack wrote: »
    I don't forget about it so much as feel wrong and weird with it out...

We still talkin bout tongue peircings right?!:p
    The vibrating one are actually crap cos their just so chunky,like youd never take it outside the bedroom,i wudnt bother again....

yeah...I only wanted it for the bedroom...I have a soft spike that comes out to play on a more regular basis...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭suzbox

can your tongue be too short to get peirced?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

It can be unsuited to piercing yeah, if youve lil or no space between the bottom of your tongue and the floor of your mouth it's almost impossible to pierce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Any place that'll knowingly pierce an under 18 (or isnt bothered to check) isn't a place you want to let pierce you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭xXxhotstuff xXx

im 16 and got my tongue pierced without my parents knowing a few months ago.. i got away with it for 2weeks until i decided to laugh and my ma saw it she didnt talk to me for a little while but soon got over it.. i never had any speech difficulties and was eating away normally half an hour later.. i didnt think it hurt at all it was more of a sensation as aparantly there are no nerves on the inside of your tongue.. the only thing that kind of hurt for the first few days was the bar constantly rubbing against the bottom of my mouth.. the long bar really annoyed me though so i just changed it myself after 3days.. i didn bother with the mouthwash but one piece of advice, neurofen plus are your best friend after getting it done :D

im 16 and got my tongue pierced without my parents knowing a few months ago.. i got away with it for 2weeks until i decided to laugh and my ma saw it she didnt talk to me for a little while but soon got over it.. i never had any speech difficulties and was eating away normally half an hour later.. i didnt think it hurt at all it was more of a sensation as aparantly there are no nerves on the inside of your tongue.. the only thing that kind of hurt for the first few days was the bar constantly rubbing against the bottom of my mouth.. the long bar really annoyed me though so i just changed it myself after 3days.. i didn bother with the mouthwash but one piece of advice, neurofen plus are your best friend after getting it done :D
    not to be a b!tch or anything but that really isn't good advice...any of it...
    a tongue piercing, no matter how common is potentially a dangerous procedure, to anyone, not to mention that any place that is willing to pierce or tattoo anyone under the age of 18, without or even with parental consent is most likely not a reputable place at all, not to mention that anyone who does pierce or tattoo anyone under the age of 18, again, consent or not, is liable to be sued, jailed etc for abuse of a minor.

Will wrote: »
    It can be unsuited to piercing yeah, if youve lil or no space between the bottom of your tongue and the floor of your mouth it's almost impossible to pierce
    oohhh but how do yah know or do yah jst have to wait for them to tell yah ??? know then if yah do get your tongue pierced and yah know the bit wear the jewellery was going through if yah take it out after a few years is there a hole left realy visable ?? (sorry for the stupid questions but they dont seem stupid too me even tho they do a bit )

o.0

tongues will heal up stupidly quickly. and yeah if you don't know yourself if your tongue is suited (most don't) you will have to wait for a piercer to let you know

okies thanks =D ......one last question (well it might be) do yah knw anything bout tattoos?

A smidgen

haha il ask anyways i got a tattoo on my ankle but it goes down near the bottom of my foot but it didnt come out ther after it scabbed it kinda just disapeared so lyk if i get it done again will it jst do the same thing or was it just not done properly ? cos i have no idea

Sounds like it wasn't tattooed deep enough, so yeah there's a good possibility it wasn't done right originally

• Advertisement

ahh like even sum of the colour faded .... was hopein my sock rubbed it off or something

Yup that will happen unfortunately. We usually recommend people wear shoes/runners as less as possible when it's healing. need to let it breathe

i tried my best not 2 but with all the rain it was kinda hard :D....do you do piercings then or sumthing cos yah seem to know alot about this stuff

Nope not yet, someday hopefully though.

twud be cool yah know alot anyway so i suppose that counts for something....do ya have many piercings/tattoos....sorry i sound like m being noisey now il stop asking questions

Go to the offtopic banter thread, plenty friendly convos to be had there.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055344639&page=302

Advertisement