Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

common room

• 19-11-2007 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

ne one know what d story is with the common room n when its open i see all the SU lads in using it and it seems ready - just wondering whats d story?:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

ah, now to test my new translator

input:
    lilyrose wrote: »
    ne one know what d story is with the common room n when its open i see all the SU lads in using it and it seems ready - just wondering whats d story?:D

translangrification process...

output:
    translator wrote:
    does anyone know what the story is with the common room, and do they know when will be opened. I see some SU members using the facilites and it seems ready. I would like to know if it's open to the students yet? :D

my God in Glaven it works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭WildIrishRose

The Bollox wrote: »
    ah, now to test my new translator

input:

translangrification process...

output:

my God in Glaven it works!

Thats very cheeky of you!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭WildIrishRose

Lilyrose.... I tried to go into it lastweeks as it looked open... Like you said the SU guy's were playing pool but when we knocked the door to get it, out request was ignored. So I'd like to find out too:p

Thats very cheeky of you!:D

I don't like txt spk, as do most posters here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I don't like txt spk, as do most posters here

exactly...

and...

its actually against the rules of the forum, its really hard to read sometimes so could people please refrain from using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Will do. Does that include the use of all that ttyl crap?

ah the dividing line. it's a kinda blurred one. things like replacing u for you or l8r for later are all the way out, but small general things like lol, lmao, tbh, ftw etc are generally accepted, just don't over use them

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lilyrose

Ok i get the picture on the text speak but its so hard to get back into typing full words ( think im addicted ) any way back to the question any one know whats the story is with the common room?:)

Ok i get the picture on the text speak but its so hard to get back into typing full words ( think im addicted ) any way back to the question any one know whats the story is with the common room?:)

have sent an email to the SU asking about it, so will report back what i get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Ok i get the picture on the text speak but its so hard to get back into typing full words ( think im addicted )
    Just pretend you're writing an essay for college or filling in a form or something, where one has to use real language: it's the easiest way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lilyrose

thanks for the tip - never realised i was that bad ive just went over an assignment there that im in the middle of and found a load of text speak - unreal think my IQ dropped about 10% since i got a mobile :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

does anyone find it slightly nauseating, the term "common room", sometimes you'd expect to round the doorway and be confronted by lepers, sheep farmers and coal miners. Any alternative suggestions?

Csn we just call it the gathering room where one enjoys playing pool and the like, when one has no classes left.

Hi Donal, Luke here, the common room will be ready to open the 3rd of December. Wecan't open it until the floor is sealed. If there is a drink spilled on it, it will be stained forever. We are also waiting for another pool table ,a fussball table, 2 gaming machines, five pcs and the desks and for thesnack bar to be set up. I don't want to open it until it is completelyready to enjoy. I hope people understand why. The aim is to have it openfor the 3rd so there will be somewhere that the students can relax duringexam time. There is also a wireless service in it. At the moment it isonly the pool team that are allowed in and I myself am actually a memberof the team so that explains why im in it.

from the su president

That clears things up. It's gonna be packed for the first few weeks or so though.

Dictionary wrote:
    common room
    –noun a room or lounge for informal use by all.

[Origin: 1660–70]

common room
    n.
    A faculty lounge in a college or university.
    A lounge for use by all members of a residential institution or community.

common room
    noun
    a sitting room (usually at school or university)

Common room seems pretty much what it should be called to me

Hi again,

Just a quick note on the common room (THE SNACK BOX). It will be open 10th
    December. There is just a bit more work to be done on it. In it we will
    have a snack bar, 3 pool tables, fussball table, 2 gaming machines, 5 pc,s
    and a load of leather couches for you to relax. The room is also wireless.
    This is your room, so enjoy.

for anyone that didn't check there mail yet or doesn't bother checking it :)

sounds good, college really needed something like this.

The Snack Box? LOL. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MDTyKe

Snack Box? Do they serve food in it? I thought it was just for sitting/entertainment. It reminds me of something from a local chippie.. hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

well I hope it will take all the people who are just bored out of the library. They are doing my head in. Its the only place I can get any work done. All the messers are stressing my head in:mad:

• Advertisement

well I hope it will take all the people who are just bored out of the library. They are doing my head in. Its the only place I can get any work done. All the messers are stressing my head in:mad:

Agreed. Plus they hog all the computers... Grr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

That_Guy wrote: »

Just because you want to play Lemmings. ;)

That_Guy wrote: »
    It's OK, if they're reading Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

europerson wrote: »

QFT. I doubt a lot of peeps in the libary do though?

europerson wrote: »
    QFT. I doubt a lot of peeps in the libary do though?
    I really, really hope you are taking the piss. when I was there I would go up there to get work done and if most of the pc's were being taken up by people not doing work I would get really pissed off. I mean it's there for the students to work on their projects, not so they can look up their bebo/myspace/boards/ect... accounts

I really, really hope you are taking the piss.
    Of course I am!

you can reserve a pc with the library for whatever time you want to use it anyway and then when you go up to use it anyone that is on it will be asked to leave, no matter what there doin

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Wow, I am so glad I'm in computing and have a laptop! I haven't used a library PC since we had a printing related disaster last year, and there were actually no other options... I can't stand them anyway though, I could handwrite some of my assignments in the time it takes some of those PCs to start up/log in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MDTyKe

Agreed! I remember I right clicked by accident on the desktop, and the whole thing froze for a few minutes. Same with right clicks in a few apps I think.

Thought it was a once off, so tried again in another PC. Same thing.

Woeful.

M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I heard computer services are upgrading them over chrimbo. Upgrading?!!

They should be for the bin.

Advertisement